onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Tranmere

paulvaliant

Funny how we all see things differently.

I'd certainly go with Brown and Gibbons but change CR and NS for Howkins and Legge, but it won't happen, I'm certain of that.

Clark has been treading water for me of late and I'd rest him for either Monty or Crookes at left back.

In midfield we need a winger with pace and hopefully pair Oyeleke with Kay (or Joyce).

Up front it has to be Miller time again. As poor a goalscorer as he's been him and Pope look to be as good as we've got.

Can't really comment on Elliott nor Whelan but you would have imagined a lad in United's under 23 team who has just signed a two year contract could make a contribution in our very immobile midfield.

I'd give Hannant a rest. And Harris too.

As Cavalier says, playing with wing backs at home isn't working as neither can get to the byline often and deliver a good cross.

The formation is too defensive.

So for me it would be 4.4.2 and -

Brown;Gibbons, Legge, H & Monty; Worrall, Oyeleke, Kay & Whitfield; Pope & Miller.

But I'm guessing I'll have about 5/11 right.

After today though I'm just sensing we're shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic as players not in the team suddenly appear world beaters now!

Advert

I would drop Rawlinson, though I thought he had his best game today.

Howkins or Legge need to start, Turner should be given a chance folk have been saying Harris has done well but I’ve seen every game he’s played and for me he hasn’t done much at all.

After today though I'm just sensing we're shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic as players not in the team suddenly appear world beaters now!

I don’t see it like that.

When you see something clearly not working, it’s a logical reaction to try and change something, to make it work.

I don’t think they’re world beaters, but if we keep going with the same team, we are going to get the same result. It’s pure sensible logic, and previous results back it up.

It’s like first Aspin, and now Askey, throwing bricks at windows, and keep wondering why it breaks every time. So they keep throwing the same brick, thinking at some point it won’t break. Instead of swaping the brick for something else, to see if it makes any difference. The next thing they throw might not, but they’ll find the soft sponge sooner or later, and the window won’t break.

But to be honest, I think we’ll see the exact same brick thrown again on Tuesday.

Like that side, chances of it being picked? - slim!

Whats the worsted that could happen? Another loss, well we do that anyway.He has the opportunity to be brave or will he hide behind the stats from yesterday.

No matter what team we’ve got to scrap for every point now.

Whats the worsted that could happen? Another loss, well we do that anyway.He has the opportunity to be brave or will he hide behind the stats from yesterday.

No matter what team we’ve got to scrap for every point now.

I'm disappointed with Askey, makes you wonder if his hands are tied in picking certain players - Legge the prime example. If we are messing about paying him a few quid weighed against potential financial loss of relegation it is pathetic. It is also poor if the manager can't or won't pick his best side. I do hope the likes of Kay, Pugh, Tonge and Pope aren't picking the side with him?

Bottom line - 27 goals/ 1 win in 13/ 2nd worst record in the league. For f*** sake.

Askey has an opportunity, his first 2 games have been a major let down. perhaps he should be allowed the freedom to state why?

I would drop Rawlinson, though I thought he had his best game today.

Howkins or Legge need to start, Turner should be given a chance folk have been saying Harris has done well but I’ve seen every game he’s played and for me he hasn’t done much at all.

Rawlinson is less effective than Howkins or Legge. Nothing other than ability to do the job in the next game should matter when it comes to team selection.

I didn’t think that Rawlinson had a bad game yesterday. I think it’s premature to call for Howkins to play and expect him to be back where he was when he hasn’t played a proper game for 10 months. That’s a long time out.

In terms of the defence, if we keep the same formation for this game (and based on yesterday’s game) I’d be tempted to play Monty over Clark at left wing back.

Some of the criticism for some individuals was overly harsh from yesterday and at the over the top end of the spectrum. What I read in here doesn’t seem to marry up with what seems to be other opinions at the game or the vale fans I know at work and socially. For example Gibbons got the crowd going with his runs and energy, he had 2 good chances to get a shot away, forces the keep in to a good save with one of them, I think he won the free kick with a good run that lead to Popes great header in the first half. But down that right he was forcing pressure by getting at their left back, trying to get crosses in. Not everything is going to come off and not everything did come off, but when these players are crossing they’re trying to hit good areas and hope the rest are making runs to get in those areas, most times we only had 2 in the box and because Kay and Joyce are more defensive there was no one on the edge either. But I’m convinced that both Clark and Gibbons are better with someone in front of them that they can play off, with quick one twos and get closer to the byline instead of crossing from deeper areas, as it stands we’re asking them to do something that isn’t their natural game in running at the opposition. But like many others in the side throughout the season playing in different or new roles.... they’re learning on the job, I thought Gibbons out of the 2 had a really decent game, if that was Whitfield getting fans off their seats people would be raving about him, yet there’s an element who want to just destroy any homegrown young talent we have in the side. I find that bizarre. It’s not his or Clark’s fault that they’re playing in these roles. If people like Monty, Worrall or Whitfield or even Kanu and Dodds earlier in the season were more consistent in wide areas then things would be different. For me Worrall, Manny, Monty and Whitfield are the ones that somehow need to find some form and we need to get them on the pitch.

As it stands we’re stuck with a squad that’s been built with very little attacking threat, attacking quality or attacking consistency. We narrowed the pitch and set up with no width for most of the season. Some players are going on to the pitch week in week out playing in unfamiliar positions or are being picked in a defensive role and they need help around them. Who’s fault is that?

Only 3 points at stake for a change, give the likes of Pope a rest ready for the next 6 pointer. Go on the pitch to score goals, easier said than done I know, but at least use Miller and Whitfield early. Take a risk with Whelan, how fit is Howkins? We may not win, but we cant win without goals.

Archived