onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

RIP Gordon Banks

Wonderful goalkeeper and a nice fella to boot.

He really was the best 'keeper I've ever seen. His positional sense was staggeringly good and like all the great players he made it seem all too easy. Calm. Assured. Only occasionally spectacular. One of England's very great players.

Thanks for the memories Gordon and for 1966.

Advert

The greatest GK I ever saw. An icon throughout the football world. A family man who was loyal, modest, self effacing, generous, fair, honest, focussed, successful and above all else nice, the nicest of men. Men of his calibre are rare jewels. As a schoolboy whenever Gordon Banks was playing for England I felt safe, and happy that we would win. More often than not, we did. It is always a sign of our mortality when those who the gods blessed, the heroes of our childhood, pass away. Gordon Banks, a life well lived, a memory to be treasured, a man of integrity.

Ruffled my hair as a youngster when he opened one of Stallington hospitals carnivals , first time I was star struck , don't know if the hand on my head was the same one that turned Peles header over , but ill say it was !! RIP

You had hair ? :wink:

RIP , seemed a genuinely nice bloke as well as being one of the greatest if not the greatest keeper ever.

Every single member of the 66 squad should of been knighted it's a travesty he wasn't.

Never met him but he came over as a modest person of the highest integrity, sad loss.

The best goalkeeper to ever wear the England shirt, his positioning was immaculate, always seemed to be in the right position to make the save.

IMHO, his save from Pele's header and the build up to it is the greatest piece of sporting action ever.

Wonderful goalkeeper and a nice fella to boot.

He really was the best 'keeper I've ever seen. His positional sense was staggeringly good and like all the great players he made it seem all too easy. Calm. Assured. Only occasionally spectacular. One of England's very great players.

Thanks for the memories Gordon and for 1966.

Spot on Sage, generally he made saves look simple because of his ability to position himself so well.

Saves-wise he will always be of course best remembered for the save against Pele in 1970 however his save from Geoff Hurst's Penalty in the League Cup semi-final at West Ham will surely go down as one of his best and most important.

RIP Gordon.

A top person never mind a top footballer, met him a few times, the last time was at Trentham,not seen it mentioned anywhere, he was on the coaching staff at the Vale for a short while around 1979ish.

Yes when Dennis Butler was manager.

RIP Banksy.

Archived