onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

I'm playing devil's advocate here ...

Smallthorne Dog

The club is a shambles from top to bottom, and I am ready to call it a day.

I bet there are plenty of people who feel the same. This is the first season for three years that i haven't had a ST, due to a change in my personal circumstances. At the start of the season on the occasions i couldnt go, i really missed it. Now when im unable to attend its almost a relief. To see the club in such a state is soul destroying. To see the anger and vitriol in peoples faces and to witness how decent people are being driven to behave, is something i really dont want to see anymore. But its my team, the club that was ingrained into my psyche as a child, whose crest i have on my arm. So instead its like being forced to watch a much loved family pet suffer when putting it to sleep would be the easier, kinder option.

When ive attended this year, gone are the pre match pints and the post match banter. I sneak in just before kick off and slide away straight after because the club and everything around it has become a festering cesspit of hate and recrimination. V2001 i hope you are proud of that.

Advert

I still don't think we know anything like the full story regarding Gannon.

There's more to the Horsfield incident, hence he isn't in charge and Grew is, despite Geoff being the natural 'heir'.

And I think some players took Roberts' side in being anti-gannon, which is pathetic - you should back your manager, whoever he is for as long as he is manager.

Im sorry Burt but Gannon got it wrong in the first match against Crewe. He altered the system ,then when the players struggled he questioned their ability. So the die was cast and thats why the players hated him, thats right hated him because he broke their style and team spirit.

Guest johnnydefault

The original poster is absolutely on the money. Too many believeing the 'inside info' they have been fed.

if the players were playing for themselves and ingnoring JGs instructions. Why can anyone have a complaint about his tactics?

If Vale want to continue in L2 then they're going the best way about it. Hand power over to group of 'seasoned pros and backroom staff' who quite bluntly didn't like it up them. (Sorry that should read 'poor man management')

What do we want - do we want progression through the leagues or a lads club for a bunch of journeymen to stay in L2 forever.

I fear things won't improve as sharply with JG gone as some appear to think.

I think Gannon would have been the right choice post Glover (both times). The club needed a new start and somebody strong to do it. However following MA was never going to be an easy task and JG's approach was all wrong. He didn't need to create a stir or act such a t**t. But he did and it lost him his job.

Yes there is too much player power and the same thing happened at Newcastle when Shearer got dropped. But then again whats the point of dropping your best player/s other to make a political point. Player power like this and perhaps what happened at Vale is always wrong. The club hires someone to run team affairs if they do it well then everyone is behind them.

I thought we had started to play more attractive football under Gannon, which also turned out to be not as effective as under MA not to mention the defence which seemed to become brittle.

Grew or Horse isn't the answer but for the last ten games I say screw it. The important thing here is getting the board out as it won't matter who gets appointed we'll still be struggling financially and unable to develop the club on or off the pitch. Then we can get a proper manager, coaching staff and a few players who can take the club forward in a professional and profitable way.

I think Gannon would have been the right choice post Glover (both times). The club needed a new start and somebody strong to do it. However following MA was never going to be an easy task and JG's approach was all wrong. He didn't need to create a stir or act such a t**t. But he did and it lost him his job.

Yes there is too much player power and the same thing happened at Newcastle when Shearer got dropped. But then again whats the point of dropping your best player/s other to make a political point. Player power like this and perhaps what happened at Vale is always wrong. The club hires someone to run team affairs if they do it well then everyone is behind them.

I thought we had started to play more attractive football under Gannon, which also turned out to be not as effective as under MA not to mention the defence which seemed to become brittle.

Grew or Horse isn't the answer but for the last ten games I say screw it. The important thing here is getting the board out as it won't matter who gets appointed we'll still be struggling financially and unable to develop the club on or off the pitch. Then we can get a proper manager, coaching staff and a few players who can take the club forward in a professional and profitable way.

Spot on post. The only way we things will change is to get the board out of our club by whatever mean's necessary.

The difference tonight was hereford had players who moved into spaces and wanted the ball to many of our players were standing still and expecting the ball come to them.Our two main strikers would not have scored if they had still been playing this morning.

I was earwigging a converstion between a couple of blokes in the Railway tonight, Sonny. One of them said that the trouble with the Board was that they were reactive, they waited for things to happen then reacted to them - they didn't actually plan for the future or were proactive at all.

So will we get a clean sweep? I suspect they haven't even bought the brush yet!! :razz:

I agree and TBH I think this could be an opportunity. Appoint someone interested in the job, for argument sake Martin Allen i.e. someone currently out of a job. Ask him to do it on a short term appointment for the rest of the season with a view to a permanent deal come next season. That way you get an experienced manager and can see how he fits in with the team/club. Regardless of wether promotion is achieved or not the impact should be visible. Lets face it it didnt take long for everyone to know Gannon was not right for us.

If it doesn't show promise then no problem get rid and no compensation.

I don't think any of the management "team" have come out of the last 2 months with much credit to be honest.

As I said elsewhere, Gannon's success at Stockport appeared to be based on his bad cop being counteracted by Peter Ward's good cop. At Vale, he didn't have a good cop to do that job, he had a bloke who wanted his job and an ex-goalkeeper who by definition will be barking mad! So we were stuck with Gannon, (does anyone else think he may be autistic - very bright but absolutely no social skills?). Add to this an Assistant Manager who comes out and bad mouths his boss in the car park to anyone who will listen and a third member of the team who says he wants nowt to do with the boss and disappears back to the Youth team.

All of this compounded by a Chairman/Board of Directors who couldn't make a difficult decision if their lives depended on it. What made them think Gannon and Horsfield could work together after Busgate and what had preceded it? Gannon was a bit of a maniac but to be honest, I'd have been furious about that in his position - it shows a total lack of support for him from the Board. Add to this his claims that he was lied to by the Board when he joined the club and you begin to think that Saturday's team selection might well have been a suicide note.

Very sad.

Cracking post, totally agree, not the ideal working environment for anyone to work in. The sooner people realise that this board are bunch of incompetent neanderthals the better !!! :yes::yes:

A sensible idea, Southport Vale, therefore one that our Board won't take up!

It would cost them money which they're now saving to pay off Gannon, and with only 9 games left, they wouldn't think it worth it!

Barnet have taken up your suggestion though - they have given Martin Allen the job till the end of this season to see if he can keep them up.

Send them a bill for plagiarising your idea!!!

Archived