onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

I'm playing devil's advocate here ...

Smallthorne Dog

I havent been tonight as ive got my children with me but i think most Vale fans would agree that tonights line up was what most of us would expect. But despite Herefords decent away form its taken a late goal to rescue us.

Just a thought that things under Gannon, were on the up until the board returned the Horse to the fold, and the pictures of the juvenile behaviour emerged. Following that, the shambles returned.

I'm prepared to take a load of stick for this, but did the board endorsing Horse and Grewy encourage the players to put in such a terrible performance to get Goonan the sack?

Advert

Far too much player power at the club

Horsfield shouldn't have been allowed back in the setup, if he hadn't we would be sitting better IMO.

I can't honestly put any trust in Mark Grew (I remember Orient away) to steer our promotion bid but that is what we have come to - a management duo of virtually no experience for the final 10 or so games.

I havent been tonight as ive got my children with me but i think most Vale fans would agree that tonights line up was what most of us would expect. But despite Herefords decent away form its taken a late goal to rescue us.

Just a thought that things under Gannon, were on the up until the board returned the Horse to the fold, and the pictures of the juvenile behaviour emerged. Following that, the shambles returned.

I'm prepared to take a load of stick for this, but did the board endorsing Horse and Grewy encourage the players to put in such a terrible performance to get Goonan the sack?

How blind are you??? Gannon was hopeless, team selection, signings, subs, tactics, man management, the list is endless. We were 4th when Gannon took over very close to the top, when Gannon left we had dropped 4 places and are miles off Chesterfield. Gannon will use excuses like yours as he is an arrogant ***** but nothing hides the fact he was useless and had he remained, whover who was his backroom staff we would not have finished in the top half of the league and some of our better players will definitely have moved on next season.

I personally think the board never learnt the lessons from Sinnotts tenure.

They must have known what type of mindset Gannon had so he should have been allowed to bring in his own backroom team from day one and not make him work with GH as it was a cheaper not to pay him off. It had disaster written all over it from when he accepted the job.

ps Im glad gannon's gone btw as I really dont believe he can cut it as a manager as he's missing one vital ingredient, how to man manage people.

I'm with you, doesn't matter who the gaffer is if the board undermine him and let the players run the team.

Season's over now I think. Just hope we can get a strong board and new management team in place for yet another year in this god awful league.

Drop it mate. We are happy with a 1:1 vs Hereford :D

btw If Gannon would be in charge this server would be down again and we would have 100 'Gannon out' topics here hehe. And btw Griff and Roberts were aweful, but was worth to drop Morsy (our best player lately) I guess ;)

What chance do we have with an incompetent board, they are a law unto themselves. They never researched Gannon, discipline problems arose which they brushed under the carpet, a manager who leaves his team at a service station is not a manager. Shot for cowardice in war time.

Guest DonDon Valiant

Nah I don't think so.

The players have thier own mind, it was down to them with Gannon here and unfortunately they've let themselves down tonight.

Gannon going was the best solution.

I still don't think we know anything like the full story regarding Gannon.

There's more to the Horsfield incident, hence he isn't in charge and Grew is, despite Geoff being the natural 'heir'.

And I think some players took Roberts' side in being anti-gannon, which is pathetic - you should back your manager, whoever he is for as long as he is manager.

Guest Mart750

I thought the sentinel took the photo n printed it not the board. Now I'm playin devils advocate because I'm neither for or against the board.

Just don't think they can b held responsible for a photo in the the local media rag, Jim Gannon's p**s poor man management, social skills, personality, unprofessionalism or team selection. The man dug his own grave long may he rest in it.

How blind are you??? Gannon was hopeless, team selection, signings, subs, tactics, man management, the list is endless. We were 4th when Gannon took over very close to the top, when Gannon left we had dropped 4 places and are miles off Chesterfield. Gannon will use excuses like yours as he is an arrogant pr ick but nothing hides the fact he was useless and had he remained, whover who was his backroom staff we would not have finished in the top half of the league and some of our better players will definitely have moved on next season.

I'm not blind at all. I wholey acknowledge that JG's approach to management will initially alienate rather than placate. However we are now looking at a situation identical to 3 years ago. Where a forward thinking ( but a lot less of a tw^t) manager was totally undermined by his backroom staff, directors and the players.

All i'm saying is that after Busgate, with Horsfield on suspension, things continued on an upward curve. The busgate cellebration didnt look to me like a **** take. I cant imagine JG would have put up with that. There must have been a camoradary of sorts.

Then Horse comes back, doing all that jiggery pokery with Grewey, and all of a sudden the players are publically dissing the manager again and results, performances and everuthing else goes pear shaped.

Now i'm not saying JG helped that. His handling of Roberts, Loft, Dodds, Collibs, Owen prior to Accrinton proves that. But it just strikes me as odd that we were on an upward curve until a lack of backbone derailed it.

I personally think there's a lot gone on, from both players and staff that should not have done.

A strong resolute board with the correct finances to give managers the right 'tools for the kob' would have made sure that JG (along with others before him), had the backroom staff that THEY wanted, not someone elses.

Unfortunately this is 'Laughing stock - cash strapped' Port Vale, run by a board so inept that they've been tied in knots from all angles.

Until we get in a board with clear leadership, people with the right skills for the job at top level, and a clear vision for the future then these things will just carry on and on.

I don't blame the players tonight, maybe the 'occasion' was too much too soon. Maybe no-one had bothered to hand Hereford the script. Maybe the players were 'jaded' after the weekends antics.

But it's past now, hopefully the entire squad, backroom staff and 'manager(s)? can now start planning for the next game having used our 'get-out-of-jail' card tonight.

Archived