onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Would Vale get more from Norman by making some sort of peace?

phizz

Advert

"You", not "we". Sure you're not defending him? I can see the point you're making but answer this - should Synectics pop up in the Sentinel tomorrow confirming interest at the right, realistic price, would you support his removal?

would agree phizz sounds like a family member or a wum, our owner is a coward and hides behind people ,

Phizz if you are trying to be arbitrational and do care about him, perhaps you can talk some sense into him and tell him to go, but as we all know good luck with that as i'm sure you have witnessed being around him.

He has made more than his stake money back and can walk away not lost in money terms of the deal which is vale but morally and historically he has lost any respect of thousands of people, some achievement in itself.

time to go things wont get any better

This is clearly the issue, phizz. The owner claims he is owed oodles of cash in directors loans because he has had to subsidize the club. He has claimed on a number of occasions that the club is losing money year on year. He has said on more than one occasion that he doesn't know how to run a football club. He has said he and his family are getting constant abuse from supporters. Why oh why does he want to stay if things are so bad? Why does he not just sell to one of the interested parties? Do you know the answer?

I would imagine there is some business reason which I’m not privileged to know dose it make any difference?

He seems to have enough money to keep us out of a admin as th8ngs stand.

Don’t forget we had vale fans in charge and that went a similar way, you seem an intelligent person, if the nice lady Carol became owner and we did not do well as a club she and her business would get the same treatment I’m quite sure.

I would imagine there is some business reason which I’m not privileged to know dose it make any difference?

Don’t forget we had vale fans in charge and that went a similar way, you seem an intelligent person, if the nice lady Carol became owner and we did not do well as a club she and her business would get the same treatment I’m quite sure.

There in lies the conundrum of football club ownership. When I was young and foolish I would have liked to have been the club's owner. Now I'm older; with the benefit of experience and pretty secure finances I wouldn't touch a football club with a barge pole. If it floats, flies or does anything else with f at the start it is far cheaper to rent than buy. Nobody ever got rich owning a lower league club, plenty have ended up poorer.

Sorry, but all goodwill has evaporated from 99 % of the fans. Even his most loyal ones are deserting him now .He's nothing more than an attention seeker. The damage to Port Vale is at the critical point now.To think ,if his original 5 year plan for Championship football had succeeded, we'd probably be playing the Lardies again now. We can but dream!

This was my point, phizz. There is no logical reason for the owner to hold on to the football club. He claims to be losing money. He claims to be getting abuse. He is disliked by over 90% of his customer base and there are potential buyers out there. Why not just sell? The only conclusion people come to is that he is making money out of the club and if he is, it can only be to the detriment of Port Vale.

With regard to Carol Shanahan, she is not only a "nice lady" as you put it, she is also an extremely astute businesswoman. She and her husband have built up an very successful business which is one of, if not the, biggest employers in Burslem. She has already done a considerable amount of work in the community via the Foundation and continues to help fund it via the car park income. If Synectics was to take over the club it may well not be 100% successful - there are no guarantees - but I am confident that if it were to happen, the club would be run with honesty and integrity. I am confident that the alternative local buyer would do the same.

The reason the current owner gets the treatment he does is because of his total lack of transparency in his dealings and his inability to tell the truth on many occasions. His failure is not just on a footballing level but on his abject failure to carry the fans with him.

I think if Smurthwaite treated the fans with respect and didn't make any PR gaffes there wouldn't be any protests now. I mean people would still be pissed off with his daft decision making and the Bruno experiment and the cost cutting and all the rest of it, but it's basically his personality that has made the situation beyond salvageable for him.

This was my point, phizz. There is no logical reason for the owner to hold on to the football club. He claims to be losing money. He claims to be getting abuse. He is disliked by over 90% of his customer base and there are potential buyers out there. Why not just sell? The only conclusion people come to is that he is making money out of the club and if he is, it can only be to the detriment of Port Vale.

With regard to Carol Shanahan, she is not only a "nice lady" as you put it, she is also an extremely astute businesswoman. She and her husband have built up an very successful business which is one of, if not the, biggest employers in Burslem. She has already done a considerable amount of work in the community via the Foundation and continues to help fund it via the car park income. If Synectics was to take over the club it may well not be 100% successful - there are no guarantees - but I am confident that if it were to happen, the club would be run with honesty and integrity. I am confident that the alternative local buyer would do the same.

The reason the current owner gets the treatment he does is because of his total lack of transparency in his dealings and his inability to tell the truth on many occasions. His failure is not just on a footballing level but on his abject failure to carry the fans with him.

👍👍👍Spot on!

You can be as nice to him as you like but leopards don’t change their spots and I doubt if anybody really believes a word he says. The relationship between him and the supporters has completely broken down and will never be retrieved in my opinion.

Jean has pointed out a few of his promises that never materialised plus a few of his lies. He has, in addition to these, upset quite a few interested parties at the club such as Paul Wildes, Micky Adams, Rob Page, the 2015-16 first team squad, the lottery agents, football in the community, lifetime members, six towns radio, the sentinel to name a few. There are other club chairmen who refuse to deal with him so we are led to believe.

I don’t really think being nice to him will change much to be honest.

I think if Smurthwaite treated the fans with respect and didn't make any PR gaffes there wouldn't be any protests now. I mean people would still be pissed off with his daft decision making and the Bruno experiment and the cost cutting and all the rest of it, but it's basically his personality that has made the situation beyond salvageable for him.

There's no cure for being a ******.

There in lies the conundrum of football club ownership. When I was young and foolish I would have liked to have been the club's owner. Now I'm older; with the benefit of experience and pretty secure finances I wouldn't touch a football club with a barge pole. If it floats, flies or does anything else with f at the start it is far cheaper to rent than buy. Nobody ever got rich owning a lower league club, plenty have ended up poorer.

Spot on and I very much doubt any of the experts on either side of this divide would disagree with you.

The tree is so diseased that it is time to cut it down and plant a new one. Or just burn the logs.

We’ve done that twice before to get rid of Bell and v2001. How many more times do we do this and cost suppliers and local businesses thousands and put peoples jobs in jeopardy.

It’s offensive we’ve been in admin twice, surely no one can support a third stint?

What happens for instance when Synetics take over and in two or three years we are protesting and black and golding against them?

If there is a viable alternative, someone with millions on millions to waste into the club and see us surge up the league’s brilliant, if there is someone that promises to make us a league 1 or championship club in 5 years with a sustainable and profitable business plan brilliant - where are they?

But Gorman thought he could make money out of being the owner of a lower league club without spending any money.

He has lost the respect of nearly all the fan base which no one believes anything he says.

Initially he was successful and managed to win over the fans when we got promoted.

But now he is reviled and joined the Oystons and Mike Ashley by being hated by the fans.

Archived