onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurthwaite breaks silence.......

blackdog

Advert

As contradictory as ever:

'A CEO was appointed in July 2016 who has full day to day running of the club with the exception of any major decisions that are escalated to me. This been the case since the appointment.

Since the appointment of the CEO The club has reduced its need to rely upon further financial support or loans from myself.'

Then...

'I would like to now turn to last night in the closing hours of the transfer window. During yesterday afternoon, I was contacted by Marc Richards agent to advise that Swindon were happy to release him from his contract. Having consulted with Tom Pope and other senior professionals within the club due to not having a manager, it was felt it would be a valued addition to the playing squad and we as a club should try to secure his services.

At 8.30pm last night terms were agreed up until July 2020. I was advised that all personnel were at Swindon Town FC to proceed with the required documentation. At 8.50pm I learnt that the player was leaving his home at Northampton to drive to Vale Park to complete the required paperwork.

The deadline for player submissions was 11pm. The distance the player had to travel combined with the time and efforts required to prepare & complete the required documentation posed logistical challenges resulting in the signing of Marc Richards not happening because we would have been unable to meet that deadline.

It was believed that during the later part of the negotiations the player was at Swindon Town awaiting confirmation that negotiations had been concluded. This was clearly not the case. I offered the compromise of requesting he cancelled his contract prior to 11pm which would have made him a free agent with a view of dealing with the required documentation today to secure him as our player. Sadly this was rejected.'

I have nothing to do with the club to being fully involved in the nitty gritty of a free transfer - talking to players, the other club, trying to sort the paperwork.

He's either stepped away, or he hasn't.

As contradictory as ever:

'A CEO was appointed in July 2016 who has full day to day running of the club with the exception of any major decisions that are escalated to me. This been the case since the appointment.

Since the appointment of the CEO The club has reduced its need to rely upon further financial support or loans from myself.'

Then...

'I would like to now turn to last night in the closing hours of the transfer window. During yesterday afternoon, I was contacted by Marc Richards agent to advise that Swindon were happy to release him from his contract. Having consulted with Tom Pope and other senior professionals within the club due to not having a manager, it was felt it would be a valued addition to the playing squad and we as a club should try to secure his services.

At 8.30pm last night terms were agreed up until July 2020. I was advised that all personnel were at Swindon Town FC to proceed with the required documentation. At 8.50pm I learnt that the player was leaving his home at Northampton to drive to Vale Park to complete the required paperwork.

The deadline for player submissions was 11pm. The distance the player had to travel combined with the time and efforts required to prepare & complete the required documentation posed logistical challenges resulting in the signing of Marc Richards not happening because we would have been unable to meet that deadline.

It was believed that during the later part of the negotiations the player was at Swindon Town awaiting confirmation that negotiations had been concluded. This was clearly not the case. I offered the compromise of requesting he cancelled his contract prior to 11pm which would have made him a free agent with a view of dealing with the required documentation today to secure him as our player. Sadly this was rejected.'

I have nothing to do with the club to being fully involved in the nitty gritty of a free transfer - talking to players, the other club, trying to sort the paperwork.

He's either stepped away, or he hasn't.

To be fair - and I'm not sticking up for him - he did state that anything of higher power gets passed onto him, so I assume he probably has to be made aware of signing a player. The fact that we have no manager made the situation harder I imagine.

Whilst I am against Smurf, it appears he did at least try to bring an experienced striker in. That being said, why was the proposal at midday and then nothing sorted until 8:30pm? Seems a while to be sat there doing nothing.

So either Marc Richards is telli g lies, or Smurthwaite is.

I know which one I think it is.

I also know which one REP and the SDL will think it is too!

That's not exactly true - Rico said a chairman had pulled out, not ours. From that statement it's entirely possible it was theirs.

Again, not sticking up for the guy at all.

That's not exactly true - Rico said a chairman had pulled out, not ours. From that statement it's entirely possible it was theirs.

Again, not sticking up for the guy at all.

Correct - unless someone who actually knows comes forward to contradict Mr Smurthwaites story of the event it seems a logical explanation of what happened ( or at least could have happened )

Archived