onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vales new manager

yorky valiant

Wasn't Askey Smurfs bang on cert but he "gave in " to fan base and appointed Aspin instead?

I thought NS offered Askey less than he was on at Macc, which didn't go down too well with Askey, so NS moved on with Aspin?

With Aspin allegedly on 40 odd grand a year and John Sheridan reportedly on £120,000 + bonuses at Chesterfield, NS has his work cut out to attract an experienced manager as they are going to want somewhere nearer Sheridan's reported salary than Aspin's. Hence NS won't even be looking at experienced managers.

Advert

Spot on. Most on here were creaming at the prospect of his appointment. Now, it seems, he's the 'cheap option' and yet another stick with which to batter Norman.

Show me more than 3 posts with people "creaming" themselves over Askey. People were more aghast at the appointment then than they are now. Pretty much blanket dismay when his name first came up. I think he turned the job down because Smurthwaite offered such a paltry wage.

A lot want Evans...

Evans only manages clubs which spend heavily, his success at Crawley, Rotherham, Mansfield, Peterborough at all 4 he spent big.

I am not too adverse to Askey... although maybe wiser in the situation to make a temporary experienced appointment until May and take our time with a long term solution? Adams or Allen type manager until May...

Show me more than 3 posts with people "creaming" themselves over Askey. People were more aghast at the appointment then than they are now. Pretty much blanket dismay when his name first came up. I think he turned the job down because Smurthwaite offered such a paltry wage.

Exactly how I remember it. Certainly can't remember any "creaming" going on! "Soiling" maybe, but definitely not "creaming"!

And, you're right, Smurthwaite viewed him as such a cheap option last time around that he apparently offered him less than he was on at the time at Macclesfield.

As Askey seems to be the favourite, apparently attack minded, maybe able to pull them together for the rest of the season. Promotion with Macc on a tight budget, possibly better to do one step at a time instead of a jump to L1. What was the situation at Shrews? Did he have the previous successful team ripped apart losing players previously on loan or transferred to bigger teams? May not have done too well at Shrews but possibly benefitted from the experience. Timing difficult at the end of the transfer period, and would a more experienced manager take the job within our salary range.

All i can say about him, i don't know enough really.

Is that Shrewsbury were probably the biggest over achievers since Leicester . Last season they were one of the relegation favourites and only missed out in the play-off final.

Brilliant job by Paul Hurst, so a very tough act to follow.

Askey was then appointed and i'd imagine Shrews fans had higher expectations.

Hurst also signed a couple of Shrewsburys ' better players Nolan and Nsiala.

So Askey went into a club just beaten in a play-off final , sometimes teams have a hangover the next season. Two of the best players left to follow Hurst to Ipswich.

When he left his record was 5-8-8 in all competitions. Having failed to win any of their first 9 , like i say maybe a hangover?

He was sacked after drawing with Salford 1-1 in the FA Cup and Shrewsbury were 18th in the League.

Maybe he isn't the answer who knows but it looks nailed on he is the new bloke.

Archived