onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Watched it on iFollow and that has to be one of the most depressing games of football I’ve watched. Two awful teams battling out a nil each draw. The lack of quality on show is amazing. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed watching Port Vale.

A good point against a team that drew with Middlesborough and beat Leicester not so long ago in the FA Cup.

We kind of did alright tonight. Looked very toothless up front, but so did they. And they have a pair of big scorers up front. Point gained. Message to Scott Brown. Their pitch looked much worse than ours.

We are just so powder puff going forward. The best we can hope is to fluke one from somewhere these days. The lads at the back did a decent job tonight.

Another ridiculous sending off. Feel for Gibbo who would have been my MOTM.

Overall a decent albeit toothless away performance. I thought we were solid and resolute, played some good stuff but lacked a cutting edge in the final third. I’m sure if we had a decent striker in the air that we’d have got more crosses in too, because we got into some good positions. Again most of our best work came down the right, although I think clark had one good run first half and Clark was also excellent defensively. They must have been bad in the midfield if Kay and Joyce were bossing it (which I thought they did for most of the game). Neither Keeper had much to do. I’m not sure about the sending off or even how much contact there is, having watched the highlights it looks like he wins the ball in front of their player, he doesn’t look too high. Their other players over reaction may have helped sway the decision, who knows. Certainly Butler was up and sprinting around as soon as the red card was produced. But it’s a blot on what was another possible MOM performance and I wonder if it’s worth appealing. Directly before that there’s a 2 footed lunge from Kay that diverts the ball over to our right and I’d also say that Hannah’s little bit of revenge with a high tackle that got a booking first half looked a lot more malicious to me.

Eliott and Harris did well up top, but trying to use Elliott as a target man did not work and at times he looked a little on his heels and slow to react, but he showed a trick or 2 and did cause them some problems. Hannant was poor and can have no complaints about being subbed.

Tonight really encapsulated Aspins problem of being unable to score goals and being defensive. It worked in that we got a point, but it seems clear that the writing is on the wall. I was surprised how poor Newport were tonight, they were there for the taking.

Agree with a lot that’s already been said, never a straight red, probably played the best football I’ve seen from a vale team this season, especially first half.Brown kept us in it with a great save first half, then an awkward tip over the bar second half, they must be their 2 shots on target.

Gibbons was motm for me, Brooks not far behind him, Rawlinson didn’t do anything wrong, just the lack of anything up top. With a half decent experienced striker we would have won.

Forgot to mention, Manny had a good game also.

Bad weather up in Stoke may have put some off. Could you not make it?

Bit of a commute for me.

I wasn't having a go at fans not going. I don't blame them, I was trying to point out how far we have fallen to only take 63 fans which is one of the all time lowest away followings I have seen in 31 years. Reading my post back I didn't make that clear. Apologies.

I watched it and saw more skill in Elliot and Harris than I have Miller all season. Would be good to have them both up front together for 90 minutes.

Enjoy the sun while we freeze.One bloke reported a trip from High Lane to Bucknall and return took over 3 hours.

Spot on! It's a nightmare of a journey to Newport on a nice sunny Saturday let alone a bloody snowy Tuesday night. It's all relative to the situation and circumstances. Well done to all who braved that journey!

A number of the travelling fans were from the local area so possibly one of the lowest followings for a league game in our history?

I live only 45 minutes away but decided to work away instead, the performance at Bristol Rovers was enough for me. The system we play is boring and just won’t create many chances. Glad with a 0-0 because I never thought we would score last night.

Archived