Ipswich (new year's day)

Pompey

Middlesbrough

Leicester

Newcastle United

Bristol Rovers

We're currently on 4.

WWLWDLLWDLDLLLL

What worries me about that pattern is that we started well, and even 9 home games in it was average-good. The downturn however is dramatic and very similar to last seasons form under Aspin: Good start turned sour.

What worries me about that pattern is that we started well, and even 9 home games in it was average-good. The downturn however is dramatic and very similar to last seasons form under Aspin: Good start turned sour.

Issue we have is we have ditched a lot of what worked to a degree up until end of November. We had Pope and Miller so two up front mostly and we got regular results mixed with a few bad ones but enough to keep well clear of worry. We have since only really played 1 up front...

We have also used Anthony Kay since the start of this bad run which away isn't a big problem but at home is uber negative so not only 1 up front but an extra defensive midfielder so inviting pressure and not giving enough problems to the opposition like a home side should.

For me, play Kay away and swap him at home for the second striker and we would be ok.

Also when Manny is fit did we need the holding midfielder at home as essentially we can play 2 rather than 3 in the middle if you use Manny and Conlon as both have a decent engine... Kay being older and having less of an engine means you need that extra midfielder, fine away but at home?

Could we struggle this time of year every season because we have to play on that pitch every other week?

That's a myth mate. The last 3 seasons have been a struggle full stop.

In general it's been 50/50

Promotion season ( exception to the rule )

After New Years day we went unbeaten till mid February .

Issue we have is we have ditched a lot of what worked to a degree up until end of November. We had Pope and Miller so two up front mostly and we got regular results mixed with a few bad ones but enough to keep well clear of worry. We have since only really played 1 up front...

We have also used Anthony Kay since the start of this bad run which away isn't a big problem but at home is uber negative so not only 1 up front but an extra defensive midfielder so inviting pressure and not giving enough problems to the opposition like a home side should.

For me, play Kay away and swap him at home for the second striker and we would be ok.

Also when Manny is fit did we need the holding midfielder at home as essentially we can play 2 rather than 3 in the middle if you use Manny and Conlon as both have a decent engine... Kay being older and having less of an engine means you need that extra midfielder, fine away but at home?

Regarding Kay I agree to an extent. Him and Joyce together are far too negative at home. Both away seems to work but at home we need to be swapping one for another striker. For me, however, I would swap Joyce. Kay has made a couple of mistakes but he shows for the ball more than any other player, has a better range of passing, can score, and is a great organiser. I think he gets harsh stick by some at times. He's slow but Joyce isn't exactly quick.

Regarding Kay I agree to an extent. Him and Joyce together are far too negative at home. Both away seems to work but at home we need to be swapping one for another striker. For me, however, I would swap Joyce. Kay has made a couple of mistakes but he shows for the ball more than any other player, has a better range of passing, can score, and is a great organiser. I think he gets harsh stick by some at times. He's slow but Joyce isn't exactly quick.

I'd play Conlon and Manny in the middle and leave both out at home as it worked earlier in the season as they can both move... then 2 of Hannant, Monty or Whitfield out wide.

Excellent post. We're so negative and slow at home. We need more energy and tempo or we're doomed

I'd play Conlon and Manny in the middle and leave both out at home as it worked earlier in the season as they can both move... then 2 of Hannant, Monty or Whitfield out wide.

My only issue with Manny in the middle is that defensively he's not brilliant. He can put in a tackle and is strong but also lets players go past him far too easily, so you still need a Kay or a Joyce in behind him to protect the back four. Plus, he's much more effective and a joy to watch 10 yards further up the pitch.

Our main issue for me isn't what players we have but rather what we don't - i.e. wingers. This won't change under Aspin as he's never used them before, probably due to the fact that they're not defensive enough and can tend to drift out of games.

I'd like to see a middle 3 of Kay/Joyce, Manny and Conlon/Hannant, with two wide players and a main striker. I like Hannant but his crosses are far too ineffective for a wide man.

I am the opposite, I would definitely drop Kay, or if I were being kind, rest him. Yes good leadership qualities, but he's been giving the ball away far too often these past 3,4 weeks, and much worse when doing so, at his age, he has neither the speed nor fitness levels to do the required tracking back, and it leaves huge holes all over the midfield. But another favourite me thinks, so he's a cert to start tonight!:smile:

We will play 5 at the back with 2 holding midfielders.

We will have 1 or 2 shots on target.

We will lose.

Aspin will say "We were unfortunate with the goals, the players gave everything, we didn't deserve to lose".

The clown of an owner still won't sack him.

Repeat until relegated.

First part correct! Stay tuned for the rest!

Archived