RayWalkers40yarder

the club has no ambition part 2.

We should be better on our home surface than any other team as we should be used to it, however thats not the case.

That’s why we had most of our pre-season friendlies at Vale Park, to get us used to the pitch. Don’t know why we bothered.

Let’s stick with the Property Development end goal. He knows he needs to play the long game so invests less and less in the squad each year leading to y-o-y decline; but he has ST revenue from c.3,000 die-hards, sponsorship and EFL payments. So why not take a chance with a few overseas wannabees or ex-Prem youth players like Whitfield because there’s always the chance of another Hugil, especially with the ridiculous acceleration of transfer fees in the Prem. So one way or other he’s quids in. And people say he’s stupid.

Guys lets use maths and common sense to put this rumour to bed. Whats was Smurfs initial purchase of the vale from wildes and the admins? 500k?

running costs for what 6.5 years? easily a loss of 300-500k per year minimum? 1.95 million thats 2.45million pounds. Demolish costs of the stadium must be around 1 million. Theres no way he would make any profit from his investment in a housing development. The land around burslem is worth pennies.

Hes just a ***** business owner who has got himself into such a mess hes hoping a whopper will come along any bail him out. Theres no way he thoughts he would make a profit closing the club down and building houses from day one. Theres also covenant on the land isnt there? As well as him needing council planning to build on the vale site which would never go through.

I predict season ticket renewals will be down around 30-40% come the start of July. NS is doing a good job of killing the club. If we don't get relegated this season, we will next season if he is still in charge.

The quality of the squad deteriorates with each window and we are on a downward spiral.

Enough is enough. Get out of our club.

I predict season ticket renewals will be down around 30-40% come the start of July. NS is doing a good job of killing the club. If we don't get relegated this season, we will next season if he is still in charge.

The quality of the squad deteriorates with each window and we are on a downward spiral.

Enough is enough. Get out of our club.

I don't think we can honestly say the quality of squad has gone down this season at all, the manager just isn't utilising the players in the squad properly. Brown, Legge, Oleyeke, Whitfield and Miller are far better than the players they replaced last year. The negative approach just mean they are useless. Like yesterday starting 1 upfront at home and lashing long balls to a 5ft 8 striker.

I think a decent manager would have us midtable with ease

Edited by Mattholl

Do not make that excuse Scott in 1954 we played on a pitch at least 10 times worse with home grown players with heart and skill and reached the fa cup semi final.What was the pitch like when we knocked stoke out of the cup when foyle glided over the mud for the third goal.Then the spurs match with players again with heart and skill overcame a top team its not the pitch its what you put on it that matters for us supporters.

The point is that many pitches were like that in those days. Since then virtually every club in the league has improved their playing surface ..... except us. We still have the original clay based foundation which makes drainage a problem and accounts for the stodgy surface we have. Apart from a few tinkerings over the years, nothing major has been done

Guys lets use maths and common sense to put this rumour to bed. Whats was Smurfs initial purchase of the vale from wildes and the admins? 500k?

running costs for what 6.5 years? easily a loss of 300-500k per year minimum? 1.95 million thats 2.45million pounds. Demolish costs of the stadium must be around 1 million. Theres no way he would make any profit from his investment in a housing development. The land around burslem is worth pennies.

Hes just a ***** business owner who has got himself into such a mess hes hoping a whopper will come along any bail him out. Theres no way he thoughts he would make a profit closing the club down and building houses from day one. Theres also covenant on the land isnt there? As well as him needing council planning to build on the vale site which would never go through.

So if he doesn't want to build houses on Vale Park, which I don't imagine he does, why is he running the club into the ground? Why is he not re-investing a portion of the transfer income into the squad as Bill Bell used to do? Why is he constantly interfering on the playing side by bringing in players the manager doesn't want? What exactly is he playing at? It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Watching the Sunderland documentary makes very grim viewing and throws up another issue for me.

Does Norman even care about the number of people at the club behind the scenes who would lose their jobs if we were relegated to none league?

His balance of care has shifted away from port vale to maintaining his own ego and wealth... how he can look the people who work there in the eyes baffles me. What a great man he is!

So if he doesn't want to build houses on Vale Park, which I don't imagine he does, why is he running the club into the ground? Why is he not re-investing a portion of the transfer income into the squad as Bill Bell used to do? Why is he constantly interfering on the playing side by bringing in players the manager doesn't want? What exactly is he playing at? It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

I think he paid 1.2 million.

He is squirrelling away as much money he can while waiting for the remaining money from the Hugill deal.

While spending the bare minimum to keep the club running.I don’t think you will see him for dust after the last payment comes in.I won’t be surprised if he sells it on ASAP once he has received his money fromthe Hugill deal.

He can then blame the supporters for not turning up to see the rubbish he is serving up.

Edited by Erniemossrules

A joke I know but the amount of **** played on their every other week we should have the best pitch in the country.

If this man destroys my club I will never forgive him but I’ll refrain from saying what I really think. Norman if you have one small bone that has any love for this club let us go now please

I would care to hazard a guess that if asked Aspin would prefer to pay 50k or 100k for an experienced player rather than going cap in hand to Forest's Academy or looking for frees from places like the The New Saints & Aldershot. Just a thought.

We've been fed a litany of broken promises and false hopes by the owner over the past few years. He'll take us to the Championship. Or did he mean the Vanarama North? Aspin would get 400k to spend in the window. Really? We've bid a six figure sum for Dennis. Honestly? I'm still waiting for those loan players that were coming here from Jose's United. Must have missed their stop at Middleport.

The Club is being run into the ground. We've cobbled together a team from non league and youngsters on loan.

The Table does not lie. We have no more than a handful of players who can cut it at this level.

It gets more depressing with each season that passes.

Our scoring record is abysmal, absolutely shocking. If we didn't have Pope I think we'd struggle to score 20 league goals this season.

What a sad state of affairs.

Unfortunately we are all (with a couple of notable exceptions) beginning to sound like a broken record. We’ve had threads about Aspin out, Smurthwaite out, the club has no ambition, totally underwhelmed, protests against the owner all in the last 2-3 weeks.

Where have they got us, precisely nowhere. Aspin is still here, our home record gets worse game by game, Smurthwaite gets knocked over by a taxi (ironic after the ‘Taxi For Smurf’ banner at Crawley), complaints about the pitch, constant hard luck stories about deflected goals, dodgy red cards and a shocking January transfer window.

Goodness only knows how this will all end but one of the Sentinel’s most influential people in The Potteries is certainly going to remembered better by those who live in the south of the city than those in the north.

Very depressing times indeed. Please Mr Smurthwaite, think of your health and, if you do not sell, the legacy that you are going to leave behind with thousands of decent Vale supporters as a very hated person. You might also like to think along similar lines Neil Aspin.

Unfortunately we are all (with a couple of notable exceptions) beginning to sound like a broken record. We’ve had threads about Aspin out, Smurthwaite out, the club has no ambition, totally underwhelmed, protests against the owner all in the last 2-3 weeks.

Where have they got us, precisely nowhere. Aspin is still here, our home record gets worse game by game, Smurthwaite gets knocked over by a taxi (ironic after the ‘Taxi For Smurf’ banner at Crawley), complaints about the pitch, constant hard luck stories about deflected goals, dodgy red cards and a shocking January transfer window.

Goodness only knows how this will all end but one of the Sentinel’s most influential people in The Potteries is certainly going to remembered better by those who live in the south of the city than those in the north.

Very depressing times indeed. Please Mr Smurthwaite, think of your health and, if you do not sell, the legacy that you are going to leave behind with thousands of decent Vale supporters as a very hated person. You might also like to think along similar lines Neil Aspin.

I agree, but why would he give two hoots about being hated in the Potteries?? Particularly when he lives in Coventry.

I agree, but why would he give two hoots about being hated in the Potteries?? Particularly when he lives in Coventry.

He lives in Leicestershire! He doesn’t give two hoots, that’s obvious. I’m just fed up with him like most others but he is stubborn so we can have as many threads as we like on the same theme but he ain’t going anywhere.

I've seen it said that he wants the club to fail to void the covenant and that will allow him to build on the land. One issue with that is that there is a **** load of brownfield sites in the area, many of which will be cheaper to build on and offer greater returns on investment than a slag heap riddled with mineshafts with terrible traffic links.

It's so stupid that it should be immediately ruled out by anyone who gives it more than 5 seconds thought.

The land being in his back pocket is collateral. It's a partial insurance policy should the club fail, for him to try and claw back £1m of the losses he's made.

But for the known additional incomes I honestly don't see how we could have possibly made a profit operationally. In fact it's pretty obvious that we would have made heavy losses since our relegation. That being said, we do know that we've had somewhere in the region of £3m(?) either paid already or guaranteed to us shortly.

I can't see where this additional money has been spent (though I don't doubt that football has hidden costs that fans simply don't know about) and so I would assume that a fair chunk of that money has been available to Smurf, as the owner, to take out of the club.

Hopefully he's taken that chance, reduced his directors loan which will soften his position when it comes to asking for a reasonable price for the club.

I've asked the question before and I've not really had an answer, but I don't know where all this magical profit is coming from that he is supposedly sneaking out of the club, unless he takes the Hugill/TV/Cup money and doesn't call it a repayment of his directors loan (though he would surely be paying significant tax on it if he did that way)

Have a look at a company that was set up named Port Vale Retail and that might partially answer your question. It no longer exists but never filed an accounts.

Edited by Jacko51

I’d say the budget this year is competitive the issue Norman has is that he doesnt see a good manager or a bad manager he just sees a manager. I think personally he must be raging having seen a lot of money wasted by Bruno, Brown and already in Aspins tenure. He’s not quite realised that if as a business Vale are going to spend around 1.5m quid on player wages it’s probably worth spending 150k on a decent manager.

personally if I was the owner I’d also tinker with Aspins team and also Aspins contract...by ripping up his contract and getting someone else to manage his team