onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dodds returns to Chesterfield

Mattholl

Advert

Exactly nothing on the pitch.

I was being ironic Ernie. :smile:

It's time to close this thread I think. Louis was a good player for us once but those days are long past. The pro and anti brigades will have their own thoughts, but he's gone, almost certainly never to return, so best let it lie.

Matt

Rather than single out Dodds maybe we should look deeper

Kanu, Quigley, Hard Castle, Dodds

Has there ever been a bunch of loanees all brought in at the same time who have offered absolutely nothing?

Possibly didn't start even 6 league games between them.

You can't blame Dodds for accepting our offer it wasn't his fault.

He should never of been signed but there has been an agenda against him from the word go by many.

Do I rate him as a player any more ?

Probably not no , however I've never seen such bizarre hate for someone who gave this club plenty.

Wonder who the new hate figure will be now ?

He was offered the chance to rejoin a club he has a lot of affection for and in a higher division than the club he was at, would of been a fool to say no wouldn't he ?

Maybe Aspin or NS should be more culpable as it looked a weird signing at the time.

If you want someone to say you were right and it gives you pleasure, then YES Matt you were proved correct.

Doesn't make the hate and slagging off any more acceptable

The issue vale fans have and a large number on here suffer with it almost like snow blindness when it comes to ex players. The chairman is aware that you can use signings as a smoke screen and the Vale fans go for it every time. If you look at the stick payers get on here over the years some players never had a chance. In the case of Dodds i've previously made people aware of why I personally don't like him and a number of others from the 'old guard'.

The issue with Dodds returning for me regardless of personal opinion shows who knows their football and who is simply a seal clapping away for a ball to balance.

If we were to bring in a player now who had struggled to get his place in a team relegated to the national league last year, not played much competitive football for the best part of 2 years, scored a very small amount of goals and was firmly the other side of 30 most fans would be in uproar at another waste of time. Another cheap signing, another non league chance taken, Aspin's lazy recruitment.... the usual comments from the usual suspects. However name him Louis Dodds and half the fans start talking like Messi has arrived back at his home club and silky flowing football was guaranteed, even now after watching him able about the pitch and miss an open goal a week or so ago you still have fans blinding complaining that if he had 15-20 starts he would have scored double figure goals????

Hereby lies the issue. For Aspin and Smurf (both equally culpable here) this is a great way to take off pressure of missing targets, to get the seals to clap and distract everyone from the fact our attempt to get Kristian Dennis failed. To distract from the fact that we didn't really have a plan B. Not only did the majority of fans buy into the hype they actively then started convincing others that this was a master stroke. Throw into the mix Aspin chatting like he had pulled off a deal that good, Vale basically had someone else paying his wages all year and the emperors new clothes scenario was in full rolling motion. The problem is when you take a step back and look at it objectively you have to ask why would a side in freefall want to let one of their top paid best players go and play for another team for free?? The answer....either he isn't playing for free and the vale are spinning a web or they desperately realise he adds nothing to either their dressing room or skill set on the pitch and needs to go. In this case possibly both.

The bottom line is that this is a regular Smurf tactic to try and create a smoke screen with ex-players, like a **** poor magician distract the masses with the left hand, while the right hand does something different. Brings in Aspin and Rudge which created a massive positive vibe which a lot of folks fell for when the bottom line was we were bringing in a unproven non league manager and elderly ex manager as a consultant. He brought in Louis Dodds like the messiah had returned and a large section of the fans loved it. Surprisingly enough when we failed to get our 400k january outlay Mr Port Vale in Tom Pope was offered a new contract and spin put on it...again trying to deflect attention away from failed transfer market activity.

The bottom line is that whilst fans still buy into the likes of Dodds the chairman will keep trying those tactics, he will keep taking liberties and will keep fooling fools. Even the fools are posting on this thread about how Dodds could have saved us from the current relegation fight, how managers cant find his best position (hes nearly 33 it think btw) etc.. etc.. good managers have found his position.... its not in their squad, its at another club.

Nobody is feeling sorry for him...just not unnecessarily starting a thread to be deliberately abusive towards him. Sad.

I didn't start the thread to abuse him, I started it to say "I told you so" after being told by a large majority on here when he signed that he would be awful. Surprisingly enough the weapons who chatted about him bringing his usual 10 goals to the table this season and linking up with Pope have gone back into hiding.

If some of you lot want to stoop so low as to pillory and vilify one of our most loyal players in the last decade or so and certainly one of the most skilful and intelligent ones we've seen in recent seasons then I think that's poor fare from so-called Port Vale supporters.

I've mentioned before that he is 18th on our all time scoring list (18th not 180th, going way back to 1876). He has played over 330 games for us, including the promotion year under Adams and receiving no wages for a while while we were in administration.

Most of his games have been at league one level where he scored 10 in his last full season with the Shrews. But if you don't play him he can't score. No one will persuade me that if he had played 40-50 games for us this year he would not have scored 7-8 goals which our shot shy, pedestrian midfield very badly needs.

He was no Pele. No one is saying that he was. But he should be afforded a bit of respect for his service to the Club and his skilful midfield play over many years. I wish him well and I'm sorry he has gone back because he's just the kind of player who could get us a goal when we need one in the relegation battle ahead, even off the bench.

Louis Dodds play 40-50 games? He hasnt made 40+ appearances in a season since 2009. Hes only made 33 appearances since December 2017. Get us a goal in a relegation battle? Let me tell you how many goals he got in last years relegation battle for Chesterfield......zero in 12 appearances.Take blinkers off

I didn't start the thread to abuse him, I started it to say "I told you so" after being told by a large majority on here when he signed that he would be awful. Surprisingly enough the weapons who chatted about him bringing his usual 10 goals to the table this season and linking up with Pope have gone back into hiding.
Oh that's ok then. For a moment I just thought you were being sad but now I know it was a "told you so" exercise I'll upgrade that to very sad.

Wasnt good enough and even in his 'pomp' had plenty of average days tbh.

Good luck to him but we won't miss him flouncing around the pitch with his handbag. But then again we are in a relegation battle and he has never been the type of player to dig trenches. Less muck and bullets more glitter and sequins.

Harsh but relatively fair 😂

Wasnt good enough and even in his 'pomp' had plenty of average days tbh.

Good luck to him but we won't miss him flouncing around the pitch with his handbag. But then again we are in a relegation battle and he has never been the type of player to dig trenches. Less muck and bullets more glitter and sequins.

Bit of a pathetic post. Just my opinion.

Does anyone know if he played for Chesterfield at the weekend? You’d think they’d need him in their relegation fight.

Didn't make the squad, Angus played for Barrow in front of 4.6k gate.

It could be argued, based on the gate going to the Spireites he has gone to a bigger club.

Archived