Sign in to follow this  
Fosse69

Match Thread - Port Vale v Carlisle United

The weather may play the biggest part on Saturday, judging by what’s coming your way in the North West. Even from here , I have my doubts about the match being played.

You must have seen a different forecast than the one I saw!

If we take Aspins normal team selection process as a given, and because we won last week, it is nailed on that if all fit, it will be the same starting eleven as last week. Miller up front on his own, and even he scores and plays well again, and as is the managers custom he will come of after seventy minutes.

If we go a goal behind, he will go two up front, and if we go a goal up with half hour to play, Legge will probably come on to prop up the back five!

If we play like we did Saturday and not Tuesday we have a squeak and we could all be smiling at 5.00, if the reverse is true, then I fear the Aspin and Smurf out shouts might be deafening come the final whistle!

I suppose the line up depends on Aspins mindset. Does he dare go for it, or in reverse, and we would probably argue does he dare not to?

If as a team we play like we did Saturday, and push players on to support Miller, then the return of Gibbo would be nailed on.

Crookes similarly and who will no doubt improve the defence that in truth, was totally shocking last night, but equally so too would Legge, especially if Rawlinson was to play anywhere like he did 24 hours ago.

Vassell has to return to the bench, and even he would surely expect that to happen. Personally I would love to see Whitfield play, but for reasons that totally escape me, and as he now appears to be miles behind in the pecking order in the gaffers head, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even make the bench!

I would also imagine Kay has to be benched as well simply because his fitness and energy levels (or lack of them) suggest he is totally shattered, and despite his leadership and organisation qualities of which are clear, the amount of unforced errors he is now making, and worse, where on the pitch he is making them, could undermine and ruin any decent performance.

If the lads play like we did last night, then in truth it doesn't really matter who NA selects, the result will be somewhat inevitable. So lets bloody go for it, over to you Neil, what are you going to do sir?

Brown,

Legge,Smith, Crookes,

Gibbo,Manny, Hannant, Joyce,Clarke

Miller, Whitfield

lets go for it!

After the win at Crawley, you'd expect him to play the same side and I'd think it unlikely that Aspo will play either Legge (who for some reason seems to have joined Aspo's Cold Shoulder Club) or Whitfield (who's in cotton wool ready to go to Colchester). But this is Aspin, so he might completely throw things up in the air to accommodate Harris instead of Miller. Harris has already said he's on a promise by Aspin to play so it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Nothing like keeping the opposition guessing is there?

Edited by CambridgeDon

Well id go for a different team altogether ,you can see that theres not much energy in the team and at home you gotta start fast and on the front foot and playing 5 at the back is fine away but at home you gotta get your midfield players bombing on so here goes

Brown

Gibbons Legge Rawli Crooke

Worrall Joyce

Oyeleke Hann

Miller Whitfield

Kay ,Smith,Clark ,Elliot Hornby Harris and two others bench

Id give Worrall a job in centre mid Joyce to protect the back four .

Put Legge in for Smith as more imposing in both boxes.

Start quickly get Worrall running and making runs into box from central midfield all game ,more legs and more presence in the team .

Vale to win 3-0 with my team but no doubt Aspin will choose Kay Smith etc and Clark no offence but he is no left back .

Id expect see some changes from the lifelessness of tues night diabolical performance .

Not getting beat is the most important thing,I couldn't care less how we play,what formation or who plays where I just want 3 points.

They played us off the pitch last season we have got to avoid defeat at all costs.

The Club say he is injured and Radio Sjoke say he is injured, so Whitfield is injured and not playing injured prior to him being sold and not replaced with someone better.

With what is happening at Vale Park would not put it past the club to tell him to play injured prior to leaving the club.

I think my 20 years of supporting the club are coming to an end. I’ve gone past being miserable and angry and now I’m actually laughing and Whitfield having an ‘injury’. The club is beyond a joke now. I’m done.

Morecambe losing. 2-00pm kick off for some reason

probably Northampton Saints rugby at home as well today

People moaning about the line up but they played really well last week, not just defensively but going forward too. They deserve to keep their places. Problem is that as someone said last week, play that line up away from home and it’s fine, play it at home and the fans start moaning. Sure enough....

The problem is we’re relying on the full backs to be providing the energy and creativity. If Carlisle have worked on denying them space then we’ll be stuck, because you don’t really get that from Manny and Hannant either side of Miller. I can see Monty coming on in one of those positions up front at some point in the game.

Just listened to the first bit of Sandoz interviewing two guys outside the Lorne St re the protests. If these two represent the views of the majority it’s ever likely the clubs where it is.

People moaning about the line up but they played really well last week, not just defensively but going forward too. They deserve to keep their places. Problem is that as someone said last week, play that line up away from home and it’s fine, play it at home and the fans start moaning. Sure enough....

The problem is we’re relying on the full backs to be providing the energy and creativity. If Carlisle have worked on denying them space then we’ll be stuck, because you don’t really get that from Manny and Hannant either side of Miller. I can see Monty coming on in one of those positions up front at some point in the game.

Agree. A selection like this is acceptable away from home but at home actually have some balls and try to win the match. There is no need to play both Joyce and Kay in the side.

No need for so many centre backs as per usual but it’s what expected nowadays. Can’t wait to see this ‘experienced’ striker get some time.

Agree. A selection like this is acceptable away from home but at home actually have some balls and try to win the match. There is no need to play both Joyce and Kay in the side.

No need for so many centre backs as per usual but it’s what expected nowadays. Can’t wait to see this ‘experienced’ striker get some time.

I agree about Kay and Joyce, especially when we’ve got 3 centre halves behind them too. Even Manny on the pitch too, he’s not exactly an attacking force. The whole set up leaves the energy and creativity to Gibbons, Clark, Hannant and Manny.

As a result, I’m sitting this one out. I’ve better things to do on a Saturday than watch us playing with three centre backs and two defensive midfielders at home. If you squeeze 5 mins of excitement out of today’s game you’ll be lucky.