onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

21 years ago today...

Aussie Rules

Advert

Gosh. It seems only like yesterday to me.

One of those great cup occasions for us.

Weren't we one of very few teams, if any, to stop Arsenal scoring at Highbury throughout that entire season?

The reply was a magical occasion too, despite losing on penalties.

Pinch yourself but here are the teams that day.

Arsenal

Seaman, Bould, Keown, Grimaldi, Winterburn, Overmars, Parlour, Petit, Viera, Anelka, Bergkamp.

Vale

Musselwhite, Aspin, Hill, Snijders, Tankard, Ainsworth, Bogie, Corden, Porter, Talbot, Naylor.

Probably the proudest day in my Vale life that day. That Arsenal team was their full side ! Seem to remember Cordon even had a great chance near the end to snatch it !

21 years ago hey. From where we are now it may as well be 121 years ago.

Great memories. 0-0 at Highbury ! Good Lord ! :yes:

Pinch yourself but here are the teams that day.

Arsenal

Seaman, Bould, Keown, Grimaldi, Winterburn, Overmars, Parlour, Petit, Viera, Anelka, Bergkamp.

Vale

Musselwhite, Aspin, Hill, Snijders, Tankard, Ainsworth, Bogie, Corden, Porter, Talbot, Naylor.

Probably the proudest day in my Vale life that day. That Arsenal team was their full side ! Seem to remember Cordon even had a great chance near the end to snatch it !

21 years ago hey. From where we are now it may as well be 121 years ago.

Great memories. 0-0 at Highbury ! Good Lord ! :yes:

Weren’t we bottom or very near bottom of the League at that time?My lasting memory of that game was my mate having his head in his hands as Mussy was almost single handedly keeping Arsenal at bay.

Just checked we were 18th when we played them. We'd just lost our last six league games scoring one goal in the process. It ended up pretty good though because that was the season where we won 4-0 on the final day at Huddersfield and the other lot got relegated with Manchester City. What a day that was.

Just checked we were 18th when we played them. We'd just lost our last six league games scoring one goal in the process. It ended up pretty good though because that was the season where we won 4-0 on the final day at Huddersfield and the other lot got relegated with Manchester City. What a day that was.

I remember Wenger stating we were in a false position judging by our performance.Poor turnout for the replay though.:laugh:

I remember Wenger stating we were in a false position judging by our performance.Poor turnout for the replay though.:laugh:

Hee Hee ! But of course those days we had a honourable chairman who would never contemplate “manipulating” attendance figures. However the phrase “creative accountancy” does spring to mind.

So much to remember about that match.

The Railway Stand was over full - not sure what happened but our seats were taken so I ended up sitting on the steps for the first half I think.

Dennis Bergkamp hitting the post and the ball rolling along the goal line and then out for a goal kick.

Dennis Bergkamp scoring possibly the best goal I've ever seen at Vale Park. Sheer class.

Ian Wright getting an ovation from the Vale fans when he was subbed.

Lee Dixon missing his penalty - the sheer joy!

Really great atmosphere all through - no needle or anything.

Gosh. It seems only like yesterday to me.

One of those great cup occasions for us.

Weren't we one of very few teams, if any, to stop Arsenal scoring at Highbury throughout that entire season?

The reply was a magical occasion too, despite losing on penalties.

Yes I think it was Vale and Spurs.

Hee Hee ! But of course those days we had a honourable chairman who would never contemplate “manipulating” attendance figures. However the phrase “creative accountancy” does spring to mind.

RR remember the laughter going around the ground from the Vale fans when the attendance was announced. You couldn't have squeezed a sardine in the ground that night it was so rammed. Bet our chairman needed more than one biscuit tin that night. Great wins against Tottenham and Everton in my lifetime but still think that match was our finest hour.

I blame myself for our subsequent downfall, whilst filing out of the ground I turned to a random bloke and said "Even though we lost I doubt it will ever get any better than tonight",he turned to me and said "You might live to regret saying that" .........:sad:

Great memories. We had tickets in with the Arsenal fans in the main stand that day as my Dad worked with a chap who was an Arsenal ST holder with his daughter and their season tickets included cup games then(maybe still do?). They were on holiday and gave us the tickets for the match. Had to sit on our hands most of the match then I seem to remember Naylor having a goal disallowed for offside and I forgot and jumped up to celebrate:laugh:. The fans around us I think guessed but were great and were very complimentary about Vale and seriously worried about the replay when we got the draw and took them back to VP.

Archived