onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Shrewsbury Town

Fosse69

Really? I thought we played some decent stuff at times, especially first half. We've played far worse than that this season.

I thought the first half was dross, maybe we have played worse(against proper teams) but it could hardly be called good.

Advert

I think this all just illustrates what a hiding to nothing Aspin is on.

We had the same set up as vs Lincoln where we did well, apart from one enforced change. We played it around, avoiding Pope ball. We had four at the back with two proper full backs.

Dior and Miller back in the squad. Really went for it when we went behind. A deserved victory and through to the last eight.

I enjoyed the game. But what do you get here. Moan moan moan....

I thought we played okay. Not fantastically, but the last two games have seen a new system which has at least been somewhat more positive.

Gibbo was quality, man of the match for me, whilst Clark struggled a little. I like him as a player, but I feel like we really need a recognised left back. Shoving right sided players or centre halves out there just doesn't cut it.

Hannants crossing is awful, although he did at least get the assist for Pope - it would be interesting to see what his success rate at crossing is (not just assists but when he's actually found a player) as he crosses the ball far more than any other player.

I still feel we would be better with a couple of out-and-out wingers but with the players we have the diamond is probably the best suited. I would swap Oyeleke for Joyce as he looked better on the right against Lincoln, and put either Whitfield, Worrall or Dodds in that no. 10 role in behind the two strikers.

I thought we played okay. Not fantastically, but the last two games have seen a new system which has at least been somewhat more positive.

Gibbo was quality, man of the match for me, whilst Clark struggled a little. I like him as a player, but I feel like we really need a recognised left back. Shoving right sided players or centre halves out there just doesn't cut it.

Hannants crossing is awful, although he did at least get the assist for Pope - it would be interesting to see what his success rate at crossing is (not just assists but when he's actually found a player) as he crosses the ball far more than any other player.

I still feel we would be better with a couple of out-and-out wingers but with the players we have the diamond is probably the best suited. I would swap Oyeleke for Joyce as he looked better on the right against Lincoln, and put either Whitfield, Worrall or Dodds in that no. 10 role in behind the two strikers.

When Gibbons plays like that, constantly making those runs then that’s what makes him stand out. We have no one else like it and when hes on form in that way it shows why we should be developing him (our own player) over someone elses. However when teams deny us that space down the wing or he isn’t able to make those runs for whatever reason that’s when it begins to limit our attacking abilities. That’s where we should have another plan or other players step up. I thought Clark played well at Lincoln but that’s been against the norm this last couple of months as I feel hes hit a really indifferent patch of form. He was struggling on Tuesday and at one point another bad ball from him looked to visibily make him deflate. We just have to accept with young players like these 2 that we may see the odd mistake. However I still think we are better at left back with him than the other options we have, that is unless we go out and buy someone for that position in the window. I agree on wingers, that could also see us get more out of our full backs too.

Just for balance, because after 2 draws there are some bizarre comments from the likes of Robbie Earle in the sentinel.

We drew with Shrewsbury reserves a side who made 11 changes. Yet it is seen as a new Dawn ?

Great result but let's not dress it up as something it isn't.

The important business is League 2 and we need points on the board quickly

Just for balance, because after 2 draws there are some bizarre comments from the likes of Robbie Earle in the sentinel.

We drew with Shrewsbury reserves a side who made 11 changes. Yet it is seen as a new Dawn ?

I've just told Mike Bagguley the same. Robbie should come and watch

I've seen a lot of back slapping and platitudes in the last week or so, mainly because Aspin thought about resigning but chose not to.

When Gibbons plays like that, constantly making those runs then that’s what makes him stand out. We have no one else like it and when hes on form in that way it shows why we should be developing him (our own player) over someone elses. However when teams deny us that space down the wing or he isn’t able to make those runs for whatever reason that’s when it begins to limit our attacking abilities. That’s where we should have another plan or other players step up. I thought Clark played well at Lincoln but that’s been against the norm this last couple of months as I feel hes hit a really indifferent patch of form. He was struggling on Tuesday and at one point another bad ball from him looked to visibily make him deflate. We just have to accept with young players like these 2 that we may see the odd mistake. However I still think we are better at left back with him than the other options we have, that is unless we go out and buy someone for that position in the window. I agree on wingers, that could also see us get more out of our full backs too.

I'm pleased to read your comments on Clark, as I thought that was the poorest I've seen him play. When he passed a 10 yard pass straight out of play, his reaction and expression spoke a thousand words about his performance. However, I'm sure he will improve on that if selected on Saturday (he should be)... even he must feel that he can't play as poorly on Sat.

Archived