onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Aspin close to leaving the Vale ?? Staying

Fosse69

Advert

CBA to read yet another thread but the truth is that he’s had 2 windows and we are no better than last season. The stats don’t lie. The quality is shocking and formations awful. We’ve drawn a game and everyone now says we should keep him? We all know that Smurf is the root cause but Aspo doesn’t do himself any favours

We played much better than of late yesterday but is it just coincidental that we had a right back playing at right back and a left back playing at left back? Something that a lot of fans have been screaming for over the last few weeks. I do think that the squad is better than last season's but when Aspin persists with his square pegs in round holes selection policy, it's no wonder that fans question his ability.

Vale fans have never been a patient bunch and have often been abusive. I remember asking my grandfather in my second match in 72 why there was so much screaming at players. Bell got regular periods of abuse despite being our most successful chairman as did Rudge. Whilst I get the passion there is also a lack of realism.

We were marginally the better of the two teams on Boxing Day and until the second goal against Oldham. After the second goal we completely lost our shape, probably partly because the players sensed the atmosphere from the fans. We kept our shape much better yesterday and played well without appearing to chase the game. The second Oldham goal and the Lincoln goal highlighted the conundrum of small mobile full backs against out and out defenders in this league. Vassell played poorly in the first half at home but had been in front of the first attacking player at the near post defending set pieces. After he went off that job fell to Whitfield and he was neither tight enough or big enough to do the job. Lincoln scored from their only corner where the exploited a general lack of height in the team. In the past Billings, Aspin and Walsh have been regularly used at fullback despite more mobile options. Vassell played at Chester at rightback so it isn't as if he is an out and out centrehalf. At Gateshead he was played on the left and right of a back 3. Adams spent seasons trying to replace Yates at fullback because his lack of height was exposed regularly, although his heading did eventually improve. Where I think there is criticism of Aspin is he spent preseason looking to build a squad with 3 at the back and pretty quickly went 442. If that was how he wanted to play he should have stuck with it and it's a system if used correctly that would suit Gibbons and Montano.

Vale are nowhere near as big a team as some fans seem to think. We have a big stadium which we came nowhere near filling even when we were flying high in The Championship. Unless we have a chairman who is able and happy to just throw money at it we are always going to be a selling club. Rudge bought cast offs from higher clubs but his greatest successes were players from one and normally more leagues in the pyramid below us. That is what we have always done, with exceptions such as Ron Futcher, who we pinched from under Mansfield's nose. It's going to take time for any manager to turn the club around. If you look at the promoted teams last season they had mainly stuck with managers over a period of time. We need stability if we are going to progress, otherwise we'll be back here in 12 months.

It's not just the chairman that will put new managers off as their is a section of the crowd prone to quick and vocal criticism of players and managers which does transfer to the performances on the pitch. If Aspin does go his interview comments made replacement more difficult. I remember talking to a Vale legend from the 70s who told me the best advice he got was not to listen to the Vale crowd because most of them had little idea about the game. I think the current players would be well advised to ignore the vocal minority.

Excellent post.Those who think they can run a football club business or team should put up or shut up.A read of Port Vale’s history should be a must do for those people.

I don't believe that it is the case Aspin is at an all time low because 'the penny has dropped' that he will not get a shred of support from the owner. I consider that this is the reasoning behind Asp's comment about talking to the owner. I feel that he is going to say to the 'Blue One' either back me or sack me!

I bet Neil feels a very lonely man at this time. I wonder if we will ever find out the real truth of the matter. In my opinion Aspo has proved that he can spot a player in the form of our keeper, Oyeleke and Hannant. With regard to the 'failures' were they really his choice or signings forced on him by Smurthwaite because he wouldn't or wasn't prepared to back him.

I would love to learn the truth of the matter but I suppose Neil will be gagged by contractual red tape if he leaves.

In regards to fans heckling him yesterday I didn't go to the game but to get a hard and well earned point from the home of the league leaders who are managed by the vile 'Grumble Brothers' in my book was a great result.

Come on folks perhaps if you knew of the bloke's restrictions you would understand and appreciate the conditions that he is working under.

Who in their right mind would work for the 'Blue Buffoon', I will tell you only desperate rookies who Smurthwaite feels he can bully.

I have never felt so low in nearly 60 years of following Port Vale. I have two young grandsons but will I take them to Vale Park and encourage them to support the vale? Not if Smurthwaite remains in control because it would be cruelty to impose all the Club's problems on their young shoulders.

TO PUT IT BLUNTLY SMURTHWAITE HAS MADE PORT VALE ROTTEN

Morning Grim Reaper.

Woeful manager and now he's also feeling sorry for himself. He should be considering himself extremely fortunate to be managing a League Two team and especially Port Vale, one of the bigger teams in the league bases on attendance, stadium and history. Once he does go I'd be very surprised if he manages a League Two side ever again as he is simply out of his depth.

Laughable comments.

It's almost as if you enjoy the misery and failure.

Give over Alan.Its like a Gothic horror story on here every time there’s a bad run of results.Everyone wants the the team to do well but changing the manager every season won’t achieve it.Neil is pointing the finger at fans.Do you really think we should be challenging for honours every season?Getting an excellent result at Lincoln,unbeaten at home since 2017, only to be greeted by “ You don’t know what you’re doing”.Please.!!!

Woeful manager and now he's also feeling sorry for himself. He should be considering himself extremely fortunate to be managing a League Two team and especially Port Vale, one of the bigger teams in the league bases on attendance, stadium and history. Once he does go I'd be very surprised if he manages a League Two side ever again as he is simply out of his depth.

Absolutely agree, I do believe we are underperforming based on our squad but then again look at Notts County. A club at least on a par with us with even bigger attendances in an even worse state...with a much more expensive squad.

Shocking from the fans who abuse a manager for making a decision when 1-0 down we finished the game 1-1

You should all hold your heads in shame if your going be negative like that just don’t bother going your making the problems worse

We must have some of the most negative moaning fans in the country

Smurf do one

Shocking from the fans who abuse a manager for making a decision when 1-0 down we finished the game 1-1

You should all hold your heads in shame if your going be negative like that just don’t bother going your making the problems worse

We must have some of the most negative moaning fans in the country

Smurf do one

How many full games has Whitfield finished? That's what subs are for, to replace tired legs is one reason.

Excellent post.Those who think they can run a football club business or team should put up or shut up.

Ahhhhh the motto of the Smurf Defence League!

I find this the weakest and most embarrassing of the arguments as to why Smurf should stay... because a hardworking fan who wants the best for the club isn’t a millionaire.

Just when I thought it would be hard for them to sound more pathetic.

If someone I loved needed an operation, just because I’m not able to do it doesn’t mean I should accept a surgeon who has messed up consistently for the last three years ploughing on and doing it.

It really is a stupid comment and shows the weakness of evidence as to why Norman should be left alone to ruin our club.

A club’s history, fan base, whether they have a nice ground or not are all irrelevant if it is run by the wrong man in the Board Room. Look at Chesterfield - even the experienced and relatively successful Martin Allen could do nowt with them.

It's important but not always essential. Just look at Blackpool.

Smurf going nowhere. I accept that and the fans will never unite to force him out.

But we need to replace Aspin, sadly.

It's important but not always essential. Just look at Blackpool.

Smurf going nowhere. I accept that and the fans will never unite to force him out.

But we need to replace Aspin, sadly.

People always flag up Blackpool and their owners as being dire but in the early 90s before they got involved they were a 4th division club with a stadium so dangerous half of it was shut.

Blackpool under their involvement have seen top flight football (albeit with Latvian money) and a redeveloped ground alongside mostly 3rd tier football.

Under Smurfwaite we have mainly had two eras of the worst in living memory for the club.

He is much worse.

Archived