onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vote of confidence

smithie

I strongly feel we MUST stand behind Neil Aspin for now. I'm deeply frustrated by the performances of late and long for some decent wing play, but this is our hour of need. I can almost sense the will for us to lose to Oldham so that people can boo and rant (I'm sure our fans prefer that to cheering but that's another story).

A win tomorrow, by whatever method, will lift our spirits

Be there. Be loud. Be Vale.

Advert

I strongly feel we MUST stand behind Neil Aspin for now. I'm deeply frustrated by the performances of late and long for some decent wing play, but this is our hour of need. I can almost sense the will for us to lose to Oldham so that people can boo and rant (I'm sure our fans prefer that to cheering but that's another story).

I’ll be there and sincerely hope for a Vale win.

However the place feels like a morgue even before kick off, by half time it’s complete doom and gloom and at the end, well we feel totally depressed.

Hope tomorrow’s different but unless Aspin uses some different tactics, I sense more of the same.

Just hope I’m wrong.

I am behind Vale as a club Smithie not the manager.

I'm desperately hoping for a great performance as it's cost 600 quid tomorrow for 12 of us having a meal and sit in the directors box for my son's 21st.

A son who idolised Goodlad, McPhee and Ian Armstrong when he was a lot younger .

Even at 20 he is getting disillusioned and says why do we bother.

If it's in your blood it's in your blood but unless the fare on offer improves then I'm sorry but Aspin will be responsible for driving support away with his dour sides and lack of ideas.

I can understand the argument to let him go.... but..... I doubt we will find a replacement on the salary offered and whoever replaces him will have to use what we have.... it's possible.

Unless of course we use a larger percentage of the budget to pay one and diminish the ability to attract players.

Well said Smithie. Im fully behind our manager.

I cannot defend some of the appalling performances.

But with The Blue One in charge, does anyone have a chance ?

Under the present set up NO ONE could succeed.

I will always support Aspin as the player and, more importantly the man. Until he is given a decent chance, fans should hold fire.

How many managers have “failed” under Smurfthwaite ?

Doesn’t that tell you something ?

For maybe 15 years now Vale fans have been very quick to turn on Vale players. Some of the support in The Lorne Street and Railway is caustic. I struggle at times to understand why players would want to join the club. Why Muppets decide to stay in the cold to hurl abuse at unused substitutes continues to leave me baffled.

Aspin and Rudge are neither of them fools and will have forgotten more about football management than we will collectively ever know. They will know Vale's history between them leaving and returning in our hour of need.

They will have done their homework regarding Smurthwaite's running of the club and will have realised the size of the task they were taking on and yet their love and passion for this club convinced them to take the plunge.

I don't know what they are paid, I don't know what the players are paid and I don't know what the funds will be in January but I would rather they were to spend it as they know where it needs spending.

We are struggling at the moment, the tactics and team selection may seem baffling but we are picking up points and we can see the shots of a 'team' somewhere in there.

Given the perception that Aspins hands are somewhat 'Tied' is true then he can only work with what he has managed to assemble thus far - hopefully a couple of additions in January may just add that few pieces of the jigsaw necessary to improve results and league position.

Given just how perilously close we were to going out of the league last year I think we are actually doing ok points and league position wise, yes of course we could easily slip down the league but conversely it's just as easy to climb a few places.

In my view where we are now is pretty much all we could have hoped for after last season and if we give a manager time and back him instead of sacking him he may just have a chance of actually keeping us afloat until (hopefully) Norman sells up.

Aspin and Rudge are neither of them fools and will have forgotten more about football management than we will collectively ever know. They will know Vale's history between them leaving and returning in our hour of need.

They will have done their homework regarding Smurthwaite's running of the club and will have realised the size of the task they were taking on and yet their love and passion for this club convinced them to take the plunge.

I don't know what they are paid, I don't know what the players are paid and I don't know what the funds will be in January but I would rather they were to spend it as they know where it needs spending.

We are struggling at the moment, the tactics and team selection may seem baffling but we are picking up points and we can see the shots of a 'team' somewhere in there.

Given the perception that Aspins hands are somewhat 'Tied' is true then he can only work with what he has managed to assemble thus far - hopefully a couple of additions in January may just add that few pieces of the jigsaw necessary to improve results and league position.

Given just how perilously close we were to going out of the league last year I think we are actually doing ok points and league position wise, yes of course we could easily slip down the league but conversely it's just as easy to climb a few places.

In my view where we are now is pretty much all we could have hoped for after last season and if we give a manager time and back him instead of sacking him he may just have a chance of actually keeping us afloat until (hopefully) Norman sells up.

What they are paid is some what irrelevant as that doesn't dictate how Aspin performs as a manager. If he was paying more would be perform any better? It would obviously dictate who we appoint if he is sacked. Rudge gets paid nothing!!

I don't think Aspin' s hands are tied. If we believe what we hear, Aspin wanted Miller and Smurf supported him.

I don't see any glimmers of hope, i don't see "A shot of a side" in there as I don't think he manages the players well or does his prep with the players well before games. The latter point Has come from a current squad player.

I admire your optimism but I'm afraid my glass is very much half empty!

On the 28th December 2017, Port Vale were 17th in League 2, with 28 points in 24 games, scoring 25 times.

On the 28th December 2018, Port Vale are 16th in League 2, with 28 points in 24 games, scoring 24 times.

We've literally made no progress, despite not having Michael Brown in charge for the first dozen games, having the best keeper in the league, and having Tom Pope actually score more than 1 in his first 10.

Furthermore, the style of football has regressed to a point where fans are bored to indifference/tears.

We finished so low down, points and position wise, as post Luton Aspin had a complete nightmare, taking a team with 13 points from 15 in December to 2 wins in the entirety of January to April.

He's followed that up with a win % of 19% throughout 2018.

In 2018, we've conceded 5+ goals 3 separate times, including conceding 6 at home for the first time since the late 1980s.

I'm just not seeing any progress, either in position, points, or effectiveness of play style.

A truly hit or miss transfer policies have left us with as many busts as there have booms; Jules, Howe, Daniels, Kanu, Quigley, Hardcastle, Dodds, Miller, Angus (so far).

Where we are now is where we were this time last year; if thats all we can hope for these days, why do we bother going anymore?

Norm is an absolutely dreadful owner but has he done much this season (bar daft comments about the Railway) to prevent Aspin from making literally no progress in 12 months? No. I'd get rid of the clown in a heartbeat but our stagnation, despite the reasonable signings of Brown, Legge, Oyeleke, can only be attributed to poor team selection, tactics, and man-management.

Aspin's actually in a decent position; the club is so ****** in terms of its owner that some of the flak he deserves is deflected.

People will argue with me but the points we have picked up recently, some have been bad points. The only way to keep in safety is to beat the teams below you.

No point winning against say Lincoln, in my dreams and losing to Grimsby.

Teams below need to stay below. If we get caught we will struggle massively.

Understand your comments on Aspin and Rudge and agree entirely.

Smurf is and has been the massive problem.

Not happy with the type of players Aspin has signed.

Not just the quality, i understand his hands were tied and he did spend his money on the spine of the team, quite rightly.

Its the balance of the squad that Aspin has signed that worries me.

If he has money in Jan, where will he strengthen ?

On the 28th December 2017, Port Vale were 17th in League 2, with 28 points in 24 games, scoring 25 times.

On the 28th December 2018, Port Vale are 16th in League 2, with 28 points in 24 games, scoring 24 times.

We've literally made no progress, despite not having Michael Brown in charge for the first dozen games, having the best keeper in the league, and having Tom Pope actually score more than 1 in his first 10.

Furthermore, the style of football has regressed to a point where fans are bored to indifference/tears.

We finished so low down, points and position wise, as post Luton Aspin had a complete nightmare, taking a team with 13 points from 15 in December to 2 wins in the entirety of January to April.

He's followed that up with a win % of 19% throughout 2018.

In 2018, we've conceded 5+ goals 3 separate times, including conceding 6 at home for the first time since the late 1980s.

I'm just not seeing any progress, either in position, points, or effectiveness of play style.

A truly hit or miss transfer policies have left us with as many busts as there have booms; Jules, Howe, Daniels, Kanu, Quigley, Hardcastle, Dodds, Miller, Angus (so far).

Where we are now is where we were this time last year; if thats all we can hope for these days, why do we bother going anymore?

Norm is an absolutely dreadful owner but has he done much this season (bar daft comments about the Railway) to prevent Aspin from making literally no progress in 12 months? No. I'd get rid of the clown in a heartbeat but our stagnation, despite the reasonable signings of Brown, Legge, Oyeleke, can only be attributed to poor team selection, tactics, and man-management.

Aspin's actually in a decent position; the club is so ****** in terms of its owner that some of the flak he deserves is deflected.

There’s the key phrase there, we’ve made no progress. After last season I thought this year we’d see a side with more identity and a pattern. However I’d go so far to say that I think this season at times we’ve been as bad as or worse than some of the performances we saw last year. At least last year we saw proper full backs getting forward (Denton and Gibbons) in support of forwards like Worrall, Whitfield or Harness who at least tried to run at opposition full backs too and to get balls in to the box for Pope. We even saw an injection of pace briefly with Donovan Wilson too. Probably our January transfer window last season hampered us and if that happened again in 2019 I fear for us.

But this season...... What are we trying to achieve when a team goes out on to the pitch? What is our style? Why have we started the season with “proper” full backs and then ditched that idea and how has that benefited us? How do we hope to hurt teams when we play with no width? Why have we not yet managed to play with any real penetration from midfield when Manny and a newly converted Monty briefly looked to be the answer to that? Why have our flair players been marginalised? Also with our constantly changing line up do the players even know theirs and each other’s role? As a result of those constant changes what relationships on the pitch have they managed to build up (part from Legge and Smith). At least last season we knew where we stood with the side and what line up and formation we’d see and in such a terrible season at least we had more of a pattern of play than this season. The tinkering and constant changes have gotten ridiculous. How does it instill any confidence in the players when from the outside it looks like the management have no clue how to play, how to set up or what our best side is?

Archived