onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Some of our Squad are simply not consistent enough.

old sage

That kind of comparison to 'if I didn't perform in my job I'd be sacked' annoys me tbh. It's sport. It's 11 v 11, you are competing against the opposition. If you are a delivery driver, for example, you don't have that. You are giving a route that hopefully is manageable if you drive competently. You don't have another delivery driver competing against you to deliver the goods before you.

Understand your comparison. I worked for a steel company selling the stuff to customers. If however the competition sold more than me to my customers then my firm struggled. If I was really bad at it then trust me I would have been sacked.

Advert

Of course players at this level are going to be inconsistent. Its about how many at any one time underperform. On Saturday it seems there were several key players that didn't turn up so it was always going to be a struggle. If there was only one or maybe two players out of sorts then you can manage that but when 4 or 5 are not performing as they can then you are likely to lose that game.

All those players on Saturday are capable of beating anyone in this division and the league above when they are on their game. To get all those players being on form and playing to their potential at the same time at this level is no easy task.

Of course players at this level are going to be inconsistent. Its about how many at any one time underperform. On Saturday it seems there were several key players that didn't turn up so it was always going to be a struggle. If there was only one or maybe two players out of sorts then you can manage that but when 4 or 5 are not performing as they can then you are likely to lose that game.

All those players on Saturday are capable of beating anyone in this division and the league above when they are on their game. To get all those players being on form and playing to their potential at the same time at this level is no easy task.

That's why they are playing in this league.

Understand your comparison. I worked for a steel company selling the stuff to customers. If however the competition sold more than me to my customers then my firm struggled. If I was really bad at it then trust me I would have been sacked.

Well yes and footballers too are judged over a longer period. If they don't perform this season they will be released. But we are all allowed one "bad day at the office" and League Two footballers you have to expect to have more bad days than most, else they'd be League One/Championship players.

I think it's a great point made in the opening post, and very valid, but now find myself pondering the possible synergies between said individual inconsistencies and the continual inconsistencies in team selection and or team tactics and how much they contribute to the performances.

Foe example, will Gibbo be bombed the minute Clarke returns from injury and does he know he will?

Similarly who will make way for Legge when he comes back, and do those fighting for a place at CH think that regardless of how well they play one's going to lose out?

I remember Asps telling everyone how a couple of goals will give Miller a boost of confidence then dropped him, would that affect the lad?

Similarly with Whitfield who started 3,4 games on the bounce,and personally I thought did really well, but has hardly featured at all these past few games, and now sees a full back taking his place up front/out wide and on Saturday saw Quigs, who most would suggest should be released in a couple of weeks, get the nod in front of him, when we had to chase the game, how shot must his confidence be?

Do players like Manny, Smith, Rawlinson, Conlon, Monty and most definitely Hannant, feel that whatever happens and even they have a stinker, if fit they are going to start the next game, and if they feel that where then is any incentive?

I think the answer to most is yes, and with that fear, or armed with that level of comfort, could that possibly be a big part of the reason why so many great performances can, and invariably are followed by a right stinker?

Do they trust the manager, do they believe his team talks, do they buy in to the negative tactics he sends them out to follow, can the boss motivate them properly. I ask that because Aspin the player wouldn't have put up with some of the spinless bilge being offered by his players, yet Aspin the manager appears to.....strange isn't it?

After Saturday's game, I asked myself the same questions and, principally, why it is we so often see a lack of the kind of steel and determination that we saw from Aspo in virtually every game he played. He is the last manager I can think of who would put up with such a lack of effort and, to be fair, he has said it many times. So how come we see such poor performances as Saturday?

My own view is that he has too rigid a view of which players should play, regardless of the opposition, which affects our efficiency as a team. It seems that there are always some players who have to be on the pitch regardless of how they or the other squad members have played in recent games. Hannant, I think, is the prime example though there are several others, including the legend that is Sir Tom.

To some extent, I can see it from Aspo's perspective because he wants players he can trust in and who see it his way. Reliability and consistency are two attributes a good manager will always give a certain degree of priority. However, there have been too many occasions this season when we've played players out of position, making us both vulnerable in defence and limited in our attacking options. The effect of this on other players is likely to demotivate them - no matter how well they play, they can't guarantee they'll keep their place.

However, we're doing better than last season and most lower league managers have their flaws, otherwise they'd be in a higher league. At times, I think we're less than the sum of our parts and should be playing much better attacking football, particularly at home. On the other hand, playing well doesn't always bring you good results. I'm told on good authority that Cambridge, for example, are playing good football but it ain't doing them much good. Hopefully this is a transitional phase and we will find ourselves moving slowly but steadily up the league. At least that will be better than the last couple of seasons we've had.

Archived