Fosse69

Match Thread - Port Vale v Stoke C U21

Vassal, Gibbons, Conlon, and Smith looked like season pro's against the rich kids of the same age.

Thats a point that is getting overlooked.

Given how it kicked off, it's a good job Stoke didn't have any more stands.

Vale Park would have been wrecked!

What part of the ground were you in TP if you managed to get out before the final whistle?

By the way sorry you were confronted especially with young children in tow. Pleased there were other Vale fans that came to your aid.

I was in the Hamil End mate, quite a few fans were leaving in fairness mainly those with kids.

First half the atmosphere in there was electric it really was, but it was all spoiled by the half time antics of a number of idiots and it was obvious that as the second half progressed it was going to kick off at some point. That was my cue to leave.

The Vale fans that were with me were spot on, I knew a couple of them to be fair but a couple of guys in their 50's came over as well although I never felt that threatened as the two youths looked like the kind of "hard men" who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

The problem is that the Premier League got rid of the old fashioned reserve leagues, like the Central League. Teams in those games were a mixture of young lads and old pros who weren't in the first team - it was far more competitive than these U23 leagues. Now we have young lads playing against young lads and the experienced players not in the first team sitting on their backsides. Makes no sense to me.

So true Jean. This was where I played a season with many of their 72 cup winning side. Smith, Marsh, Conroy, Mahoney, Dobing, Eastham, Bernard, Pejic. That was a proper league to bring players on.

:laugh: :laugh:

UHU5C28.jpg

3rRR3FO.jpg

You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence...

UHU5C28.jpg

3rRR3FO.jpg

You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence...

Not very clever are they Doha.

Real shame. I saw it coming, the last League derby at Vale Park was similar, I also remember Burslem being trashed back in the 90s badly.

Such a shame. It was a much better night and match than I thought. We won easily and convincingly against a Stoke team.

They are still a product of their training and resources despite the age limit. As others have said about 6 or our team would qualify under the same conditions.

I just hope Stoke pay to put the ground right and issue an apology. They won’t but they should. Their fans were an utter disgrace.

Genuinely pleased that every Stoke fan took part in the minutes applause for Errol. Loved the chants of “Boomer” just after. I hoped that the good spirit of banter and chanting would continue but that was ruined by a small minority of clowns at the front right of the away end. Ripping out seats and throwing them at your own fans and players isn’t very clever at all.

The game itself was very much a case of seasoned pros (although some of which are only in their first season or so of league football) against a group of overpaid, pampered kids who didn’t look up for the battle and looked very shaken by the big crowd and the atmosphere.

Montano was a nuisance! Not sure what formation we were playing or what his role was but he looked very dangerous throughout, hopefully he can stay fit. Vassell also looks to be a very good addition to the squad. Every time I see him he gets better (bar the Sunderland game).

Leave Eric Pieters out of this.

I agree.He's a champagne sipping superstar of Cheshire housewives shouldn't be dragged down to the neanderthal level of those in the Hamil last night.

Vassal, Gibbons, Conlon, and Smith looked like season pro's against the rich kids of the same age.

I made the point in the summer that The Accadamy system is failing. The world cup squad had the highest ever percentage of players from lower league clubs. Lots of youngsters kept on to play in meaningless games. There are late developers but they tend to be the exception proving the rule. Vassel and Conolon were playing ex Accadamy teammates who were considered better players a few years ago and are significantly behind both now.

Vassel and Conolon were playing ex Accadamy teammates who were considered better players a few years ago and are significantly behind both now.

Now that is a great point.

UHU5C28.jpg

3rRR3FO.jpg

Come on Doha, he hasn't got a mental capacity to commit a crime.

In fairness had previously seen Newcastle and Derbys youngsters in this competition and none of their players would have made our team. Was therefore hoping/expecting a similar performance from Stokes youngsters. Glad to see they didn't disappoint.

Probably most of their players have never played in such a competitive game or before such a large crowd. I think they however need to have a long hard look at themselves in the cold light of day. I can think of only one of their players who would have got anywhere near our team. So guys there you are trying to break into a Championship side , whereas in reality you aren't good enough to get in a League 2 side.

This has probably been done to death but i haven't the inclination to read 30 odd pages.

Hannant, Rawlinson, Vassell and Oyeleke were all non league last season.

Gibbons, Smith and Conlon are all 22 and under.

That is 7 of our starting team including 3 of the back 4.

So yes in effect bar Legge and an in and out Whitfield and Miller it was our strongest team , forgetting Mitch Clark too who is aged 19.

The difference is our players are hardened to proper football.

Academies simply do not work.

Stoke have nothing coming through to warrant the millions chucked at it .

Kidsgrove and Newcastle Town will benefit greatly from their quality upbringing .

PS it looks like that weapon POWNZZZ has deleted his twitter. Coward.

In fairness had previously seen Newcastle and Derbys youngsters in this competition and none of their players would have made our team. Was therefore hoping/expecting a similar performance from Stokes youngsters. Glad to see they didn't disappoint.

Probably most of their players have never played in such a competitive game or before such a large crowd. I think they however need to have a long hard look at themselves in the cold light of day. I can think of only one of their players who would have got anywhere near our team. So guys there you are trying to break into a Championship side , whereas in reality you aren't good enough to get in a League 2 side.

The other side of the coin is for Vale fans to temper their expectations when we loan players of this age/experience from Championship/EPL teams. There may be the odd gem around but most are not going to light up the sky for want of a better phrase.

I'm wondering whether some of the idiots stayed in the pub and didn't bother, but also whether people with kids decided to stay away after the tension was ramped up a bit. There was actually a waiting list of a couple of hundred as well so as you say it makes no sense.

I left before the end with my two and in hindsight wouldn't have taken them.

Congratulations by the way to the two brave Vale fans who decided to get in my face and start gobbing off down near Dimensions whilst I had my 10 and 8 year olds either side of me, but a massive thank you to the 4/5 Vale fans who stepped in and told them to wind their necks in.

I'm guessing you were wearing colours to have been gobbed off at? Probably not sensible