onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Stoke C U21

Fosse69

In fairness had previously seen Newcastle and Derbys youngsters in this competition and none of their players would have made our team. Was therefore hoping/expecting a similar performance from Stokes youngsters. Glad to see they didn't disappoint.

Probably most of their players have never played in such a competitive game or before such a large crowd. I think they however need to have a long hard look at themselves in the cold light of day. I can think of only one of their players who would have got anywhere near our team. So guys there you are trying to break into a Championship side , whereas in reality you aren't good enough to get in a League 2 side.

Advert

This has probably been done to death but i haven't the inclination to read 30 odd pages.

Hannant, Rawlinson, Vassell and Oyeleke were all non league last season.

Gibbons, Smith and Conlon are all 22 and under.

That is 7 of our starting team including 3 of the back 4.

So yes in effect bar Legge and an in and out Whitfield and Miller it was our strongest team , forgetting Mitch Clark too who is aged 19.

The difference is our players are hardened to proper football.

Academies simply do not work.

Stoke have nothing coming through to warrant the millions chucked at it .

Kidsgrove and Newcastle Town will benefit greatly from their quality upbringing .

PS it looks like that weapon POWNZZZ has deleted his twitter. Coward.

In fairness had previously seen Newcastle and Derbys youngsters in this competition and none of their players would have made our team. Was therefore hoping/expecting a similar performance from Stokes youngsters. Glad to see they didn't disappoint.

Probably most of their players have never played in such a competitive game or before such a large crowd. I think they however need to have a long hard look at themselves in the cold light of day. I can think of only one of their players who would have got anywhere near our team. So guys there you are trying to break into a Championship side , whereas in reality you aren't good enough to get in a League 2 side.

The other side of the coin is for Vale fans to temper their expectations when we loan players of this age/experience from Championship/EPL teams. There may be the odd gem around but most are not going to light up the sky for want of a better phrase.

I'm wondering whether some of the idiots stayed in the pub and didn't bother, but also whether people with kids decided to stay away after the tension was ramped up a bit. There was actually a waiting list of a couple of hundred as well so as you say it makes no sense.

I left before the end with my two and in hindsight wouldn't have taken them.

Congratulations by the way to the two brave Vale fans who decided to get in my face and start gobbing off down near Dimensions whilst I had my 10 and 8 year olds either side of me, but a massive thank you to the 4/5 Vale fans who stepped in and told them to wind their necks in.

I'm guessing you were wearing colours to have been gobbed off at? Probably not sensible

I'm guessing you were wearing colours to have been gobbed off at? Probably not sensible

My youngest had a Stoke City coat on. My eldest had a Stoke badge on his woolly hat.

Cobblers. Vale fans are entitled to wear colours and not get attacked, the same for Stoke.

The fault lies with those doing the attacking, especially as TP had two little kids in tow.

So true Jean. This was where I played a season with many of their 72 cup winning side. Smith, Marsh, Conroy, Mahoney, Dobing, Eastham, Bernard, Pejic. That was a proper league to bring players on.

There was also the Midland Intermediate Leagues A and B (I Think that's what they were called) that Vale had teams in.

From memory, Vale Reserves didn't play in The Central League but in a League that I can't remember the name of (Midland Regional Lge ?), it contained reserve teams mainly from Div 3 and Div 4 clubs, the Central League mainly had teams from Div 1 and Div 2. All the scores and League tables were published in The Sentinel usually on a Saturday night

There was also the Midland Intermediate Leagues A and B (I Think that's what they were called) that Vale had teams in.

From memory, Vale Reserves didn't play in The Central League but in a League that I can't remember the name of (Midland Regional Lge ?), it contained reserve teams mainly from Div 3 and Div 4 clubs, the Central League mainly had teams from Div 1 and Div 2. All the scores and League tables were published in The Sentinel usually on a Saturday night

Didn't Vale reserves play in the Cheshire League? Back in the dim and distant past we also played in the Welsh FA Cup.

With regard to the attendance in the away end last night:

The official capacity of the Hamil End is 4550. On police advice the tickets were sold on an unreserved seating basis. The rules mean that only 90% of the capacity can be sold in these circumstanes - that means Stoke had 4095 tickets. The official turnstile count was 3831. So 264 fans decided to stay in the pub or couldn't make it for various reasons. It also means there were 719 empty seats in the stand. The bulk of those empty seats were towards the Hamil/Lorne Street corner which was sparsley populated compared to the rest of the stand.

With regard to the attendance in the away end last night:

The official capacity of the Hamil End is 4550. On police advice the tickets were sold on an unreserved seating basis. The rules mean that only 90% of the capacity can be sold in these circumstanes - that means Stoke had 4095 tickets. The official turnstile count was 3831. So 264 fans decided to stay in the pub or couldn't make it for various reasons. It also means there were 719 empty seats in the stand. The bulk of those empty seats were towards the Hamil/Lorne Street corner which was sparsley populated compared to the rest of the stand.

If this is true then the Police need to look at themselves. Did we not castigate and go mental at Crewe for the very same thing in March.

Chaos ensued with squabbling over seats and e-mails flying in to Crewe.

Anybody with a modicum of intelligence would know that unreserved seating means all the lunatics would gather by the paddock.

Had seats been reserved it may of been family people and none trouble making fans who occupied this area.

Archived