onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Stoke C U21

Fosse69

Advert

What part of the ground were you in TP if you managed to get out before the final whistle?

By the way sorry you were confronted especially with young children in tow. Pleased there were other Vale fans that came to your aid.

I was in the Hamil End mate, quite a few fans were leaving in fairness mainly those with kids.

First half the atmosphere in there was electric it really was, but it was all spoiled by the half time antics of a number of idiots and it was obvious that as the second half progressed it was going to kick off at some point. That was my cue to leave.

The Vale fans that were with me were spot on, I knew a couple of them to be fair but a couple of guys in their 50's came over as well although I never felt that threatened as the two youths looked like the kind of "hard men" who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

The problem is that the Premier League got rid of the old fashioned reserve leagues, like the Central League. Teams in those games were a mixture of young lads and old pros who weren't in the first team - it was far more competitive than these U23 leagues. Now we have young lads playing against young lads and the experienced players not in the first team sitting on their backsides. Makes no sense to me.

So true Jean. This was where I played a season with many of their 72 cup winning side. Smith, Marsh, Conroy, Mahoney, Dobing, Eastham, Bernard, Pejic. That was a proper league to bring players on.

Real shame. I saw it coming, the last League derby at Vale Park was similar, I also remember Burslem being trashed back in the 90s badly.

Such a shame. It was a much better night and match than I thought. We won easily and convincingly against a Stoke team.

They are still a product of their training and resources despite the age limit. As others have said about 6 or our team would qualify under the same conditions.

I just hope Stoke pay to put the ground right and issue an apology. They won’t but they should. Their fans were an utter disgrace.

Genuinely pleased that every Stoke fan took part in the minutes applause for Errol. Loved the chants of “Boomer” just after. I hoped that the good spirit of banter and chanting would continue but that was ruined by a small minority of clowns at the front right of the away end. Ripping out seats and throwing them at your own fans and players isn’t very clever at all.

The game itself was very much a case of seasoned pros (although some of which are only in their first season or so of league football) against a group of overpaid, pampered kids who didn’t look up for the battle and looked very shaken by the big crowd and the atmosphere.

Montano was a nuisance! Not sure what formation we were playing or what his role was but he looked very dangerous throughout, hopefully he can stay fit. Vassell also looks to be a very good addition to the squad. Every time I see him he gets better (bar the Sunderland game).

Vassal, Gibbons, Conlon, and Smith looked like season pro's against the rich kids of the same age.

I made the point in the summer that The Accadamy system is failing. The world cup squad had the highest ever percentage of players from lower league clubs. Lots of youngsters kept on to play in meaningless games. There are late developers but they tend to be the exception proving the rule. Vassel and Conolon were playing ex Accadamy teammates who were considered better players a few years ago and are significantly behind both now.

Archived