Valiant62

Extinction Rebellion versus brexit

On 05/12/2019 at 12:19, Andyregs said:

There we go on YouTube again. Surely all these distinguished scientists should have a whole body of peer reviewed articles that you could be citing. But every time it’s YouTube whether with this or climate change. 
why would I write about co2 being the control knob. That’s something you keep going on about. 
How about you look at scientists and not YouTube conspiracies.

A lot of this 'debate' isn't a debate at all...its just a new religion and anyone who disagrees is denounced as mad or a heretic. Any scientist who doesn't conform is hounded out and loses their position. I can name examples and its disgraceful. So...quelle surprise....many scientists sing from the same hymn sheet. especially if they get to enjoy a good salary. and are promised funding. Hardly a shock. 

Ultimately science doesn't work by claiming something is true and then finding the evidence to suit that agenda. That is politics,, not science, And that is what has bugged me consistently about the whole issue. Lots of past statistics being modified to tell a story. Not good. 

Paul is quite correct about Mickey Mouse. Much was made in the media of a so-called report by 'thousands of scientists.'...but on close inspection it was nothing but a petition signed by anyone with an internet connection who was worried about climate change, It turns out many of the names were fake...including mickey mouse and others. 

When governments are trying to scare the public (and they have all done it from the dawn of time) I always ask myself why? Usually to make the people more accepting of otherwise unpalatable policies. Often to firm up control. And always at the bottom of it, there is money to be made.

• Thanks 2

On 13/12/2019 at 23:01, Barrierleaner said:

They said that about electric cars. Where there is a will there is a way. 

Where there is a political will and enough money, there is a way. Look at the Manhattan project, Apollo. Unfortunately there is usually not enough of either.

Oil companies/car companies are not interested in changing. Why should they, they are raking it in big style as things are. It is changing slowly, very very slowly. SUV's still outsell Electric cars 30/1. And how sustainable electric cars are depends where the lecky comes from. Here in NL, very. In the less developed world, not very.

The technology has been developed immeasurably and performance and range have surged because of working on it. It is clear that car companies are changing their focus at a greater pace all the time so i think you are a tad behind the times with that mantra.

there would be a political will to develop Fusion ....and improve Nuclear power generally....if it hadn't been scuppered by half baked green ideals.

4 minutes ago, Barrierleaner said:

]so i think you are a tad behind the times with that mantra.

There was no mantra, just statement of facts, behind the times? I don't think so. My wife is head of HR for the worlds biggest oil company, So I do know their thinking. I don't shoot from the hip. 

On 16/12/2019 at 10:18, hillmanhunter said:

I've just stumbled on this and can't believe people are still clinging to the "CO2 lags temperature"  canard.

HH, CO2 usually does lag temp rise, It's based on the simple scientific principle that cold water dissolves more CO2 than does warmer water, the same applies to any any gas/liquid.

The evidence can be seen in the various graphs of Temp vs atmospheric levels of CO2. 

You've probably unintentionally done the simple experiment which demonstrates it where you're taken a can of coke out of the fridge, opened it, taken a couple of swigs, put it down in the kitchen at room temp. and returned to it 2 hrs later, taken a couple of swigs to find it's flat.The liquid has simply warmed up and the CO2 escaped leaving the drink flat.

On 24/12/2019 at 21:28, Paul6754 said:

HH, CO2 usually does lag temp rise, It's based on the simple scientific principle that cold water dissolves more CO2 than does warmer water, the same applies to any any gas/liquid.

The evidence can be seen in the various graphs of Temp vs atmospheric levels of CO2. 

You've probably unintentionally done the simple experiment which demonstrates it where you're taken a can of coke out of the fridge, opened it, taken a couple of swigs, put it down in the kitchen at room temp. and returned to it 2 hrs later, taken a couple of swigs to find it's flat.The liquid has simply warmed up and the CO2 escaped leaving the drink flat.

CO2 can lag temperature and temperature can lag CO2. Like kinetic energy can cause heat and vice versa. 

The graphs usually used to show that CO2 lags temp are using the Vostok ice cores from Antarctica. The temperature changes (from Milankovitch cycles) in the southern latitudes lagged the northern hemisphere by hundreds of years - due to less land mass in Southern Hemisphere. They don't show what their proponents think they show.

In fact, I think the papers where the Vostok data is sourced state this. 

5 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

CO2 can lag temperature and temperature can lag CO2. Like kinetic energy can cause heat and vice versa. 

The graphs usually used to show that CO2 lags temp are using the Vostok ice cores from Antarctica. The temperature changes (from Milankovitch cycles) in the southern latitudes lagged the northern hemisphere by hundreds of years - due to less land mass in Southern Hemisphere. They don't show what their proponents think they show.

In fact, I think the papers where the Vostok data is sourced state this. 

Yep I agree HH, the relationship isn't absolute although after an ice age when the earth begins to warm up CO2 most often lags temp.

An interesting question is "What causes the earth to warm up after an ice age", (The levels of CO2 were usually low), the reasons given are usually The Milankovich Cycles which is itself a testament that CO2 does not alone drive the earth's climate and should at least make people question the current focus solely on CO2.

Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes last night.

"If you do win an award tonight don't use it as a platform to make a political speech.

You're in no position to lecture the public about anything.You know nothing about the real world.Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Why aren't the police arresting those causing criminal damage at Trinity College?

They might hurt someone's feelings..... but they are sending 2 officers to every protesters address to check their thinking...

1 hour ago, geosname said:

They might hurt someone's feelings..... but they are sending 2 officers to every protesters address to check their thinking...

Apparently,you have to be very careful what you like now on social media.It's not a crime but it will be recorded as a hate incident?

It's becoming very Orwellian?

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Apparently,you have to be very careful what you like now on social media.It's not a crime but it will be recorded as a hate incident?

It's becoming very Orwellian?

I'm not sure that's actually the case though. 

29 minutes ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I'm not sure that's actually the case though. 

Check the news from a few days back.... high court case I think.

9 hours ago, For Us All said:

Why aren't the police arresting those causing criminal damage at Trinity College?

These people are mis-informed, brainwashed idiots who should be dealt with by the authorities, where is this all going to end as appeasement doesn't work.

Due to the so called Climate Crisis we've all only got another 10 years left anyway so let them have their way, I quite fancy a few years of Medieval life in my final years, a bit of jousting, lots of meade and fair maidens, living in a castle with no income tax.

Edited by Paul6754

1 hour ago, cheshirevaliant said:

Must have missed it geo. Do you have a link?

I don't mate...... before it hit court it was on utube..... check your thinking..... I think.

Basically..... briefly...... ex cop posted somewhere?  then phoned and visited by active police and told to check his thinking..... much more to it...

Went to court...... reported on BBC website a few days ago.

Best I can do mate.... sorry

Came across this short Youtube video from Rowan Dean who is a journalist on Skye Australia talking about a new film just released called "Planet of the Humans" by the ultra left wing, Trump hating film maker Michael Moore of "Fahrenheit 9/11" fame. The film exposes the whole Green energy industry as a hoax and a con and Green Energy as anything but Green. If even a small part of this film is true it questions the Climate Change cult and it's potential solution.

The short Youtube video gives a synopsis of the film, the film itself is really worth a watch is poignant, humorous in parts and thought provoking.

Here in NL we are pretty completely on sustainable. Mostly because the Germans shut down their nuclear after the Japan thing and went big style for wind farms and so. And ended up with too much capacity which they kindly send to us. Plus a bit of fiddling around here with local stuff (we have plenty of wind) and we are good to go.

Not really an issue anymore here. Apart from switching from any gas. Which we are all supposed to do in a few years. Not sure how that works if you want a bath.

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

Here in NL we are pretty completely on sustainable. Mostly because the Germans shut down their nuclear after the Japan thing and went big style for wind farms and so. And ended up with too much capacity which they kindly send to us. Plus a bit of fiddling around here with local stuff (we have plenty of wind) and we are good to go.

Not really an issue anymore here. Apart from switching from any gas. Which we are all supposed to do in a few years. Not sure how that works if you want a bath.

Data from 2018 doesn't agree.

https://www.power-technology.com/comment/future-of-energy-in-the-netherlands/