onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Extinction Rebellion versus brexit

Valiant62

On 01/12/2019 at 20:03, toyahw said:

No it won't. Who said that? The problem will really hit the fan after me and you me are long gone.

Nuclear fusion, no chance.  That really is bull science mate. Works in principle but not a chance in hell of it working out in practice for 100 years or so.  And the amount of money thrown at it??? Insane.

Can we agree to differ?

There have been reports of some major progress in the technology to enable Nuclear Fusion, it is the holy grail for energy production and yep it's a real challenge but two hydrogen atoms combining to produce helium and energy is as clean as its gets.

Not being argumentative but I'd rather see money invested in improving/generating new energy producing technology than it be spent on funding idiotic policies such as the Green New Deal from AOC.

We can agree to disagree..

Advert

On 28/11/2019 at 01:58, Andyregs said:

Hang on, you believe Donald trump listened to the evidence, and based in his scientific reasoning, decided that was why he would pull out of the Paris agreement. You discount nasa as a scientific source but are willing to attach the validity of your argument to Donald trumps scientific ability? Oh boy.

Yet another irrational, incorrect comment clouded by your poiitical views and hatred of Trump..

You can easily find out some of the people who advised Trump on Climate Change and also go on Youtube and see them giving lectures on Climate Change at prestigious conferences. These people are distinguished, respected scientists not Mickey Mouse or Al Gore whom you follow for information on this subject. 

Since you appear so bombastic and knowlegable on this subject write a few paragraphs in your own words on why you consider man made CO2 is the control knob for the Earth's Climate. If you can't/don't then shut the F U.

On 03/12/2019 at 22:41, Paul6754 said:

Yet another irrational, incorrect comment clouded by your poiitical views and hatred of Trump..

You can easily find out some of the people who advised Trump on Climate Change and also go on Youtube and see them giving lectures on Climate Change at prestigious conferences. These people are distinguished, respected scientists not Mickey Mouse or Al Gore whom you follow for information on this subject. 

Since you appear so bombastic and knowlegable on this subject write a few paragraphs in your own words on why you consider man made CO2 is the control knob for the Earth's Climate. If you can't/don't then shut the F U.

There we go on YouTube again. Surely all these distinguished scientists should have a whole body of peer reviewed articles that you could be citing. But every time it’s YouTube whether with this or climate change. 
why would I write about co2 being the control knob. That’s something you keep going on about. 
How about you look at scientists and not YouTube conspiracies.

Any Professor or head of a Science Department at a prestigious University will have a significant track record of publications in prestigious journals that's how they achieve that position.

The point about Youtube which you fail to grasp is that you can see and hear the actual Professor/Scientist explaining their views/giving lecturers and often having to justify their views so you can make up your own mind straight from the "Horses Mouth/Data" rather than an article by a left wing journalist or Politician who likely hasn't a scientific gene in his/her body.

You won't write anything about CO2 'cause you don't know anything.

On 02/12/2019 at 02:24, toyahw said:

Nuclear fussion, which is a hydrogen bomb inverted, as of yet only has only produced more energy than you put in on a tiny scale by blasting the stuff with lasers. This is a starting point, but the EU is going with the TOKAMAK. Which is cyclotron thing. A follow up to JET. No one has got more than a few seconds micro-seconds worth of nett energy production out of either.

It's one for the future, but not in my life time. And it has been promising for years. But not delivered. So don't hold your breath.

They said that about electric cars. Where there is a will there is a way. 

On 05/12/2019 at 12:19, Andyregs said:

There we go on YouTube again. Surely all these distinguished scientists should have a whole body of peer reviewed articles that you could be citing. But every time it’s YouTube whether with this or climate change. 
why would I write about co2 being the control knob. That’s something you keep going on about. 
How about you look at scientists and not YouTube conspiracies.

A lot of this 'debate' isn't a debate at all...its just a new religion and anyone who disagrees is denounced as mad or a heretic. Any scientist who doesn't conform is hounded out and loses their position. I can name examples and its disgraceful. So...quelle surprise....many scientists sing from the same hymn sheet. especially if they get to enjoy a good salary. and are promised funding. Hardly a shock. 

Ultimately science doesn't work by claiming something is true and then finding the evidence to suit that agenda. That is politics,, not science, And that is what has bugged me consistently about the whole issue. Lots of past statistics being modified to tell a story. Not good. 

Paul is quite correct about Mickey Mouse. Much was made in the media of a so-called report by 'thousands of scientists.'...but on close inspection it was nothing but a petition signed by anyone with an internet connection who was worried about climate change, It turns out many of the names were fake...including mickey mouse and others. 

When governments are trying to scare the public (and they have all done it from the dawn of time) I always ask myself why? Usually to make the people more accepting of otherwise unpalatable policies. Often to firm up control. And always at the bottom of it, there is money to be made.

On 13/12/2019 at 23:01, Barrierleaner said:

They said that about electric cars. Where there is a will there is a way. 

Where there is a political will and enough money, there is a way. Look at the Manhattan project, Apollo. Unfortunately there is usually not enough of either.

Oil companies/car companies are not interested in changing. Why should they, they are raking it in big style as things are. It is changing slowly, very very slowly. SUV's still outsell Electric cars 30/1. And how sustainable electric cars are depends where the lecky comes from. Here in NL, very. In the less developed world, not very.

The technology has been developed immeasurably and performance and range have surged because of working on it. It is clear that car companies are changing their focus at a greater pace all the time so i think you are a tad behind the times with that mantra.

there would be a political will to develop Fusion ....and improve Nuclear power generally....if it hadn't been scuppered by half baked green ideals.

4 minutes ago, Barrierleaner said:

]so i think you are a tad behind the times with that mantra.

There was no mantra, just statement of facts, behind the times? I don't think so. My wife is head of HR for the worlds biggest oil company, So I do know their thinking. I don't shoot from the hip. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2019 at 10:18, hillmanhunter said:

I've just stumbled on this and can't believe people are still clinging to the "CO2 lags temperature"  canard.

HH, CO2 usually does lag temp rise, It's based on the simple scientific principle that cold water dissolves more CO2 than does warmer water, the same applies to any any gas/liquid.

The evidence can be seen in the various graphs of Temp vs atmospheric levels of CO2. 

You've probably unintentionally done the simple experiment which demonstrates it where you're taken a can of coke out of the fridge, opened it, taken a couple of swigs, put it down in the kitchen at room temp. and returned to it 2 hrs later, taken a couple of swigs to find it's flat.The liquid has simply warmed up and the CO2 escaped leaving the drink flat.

On 24/12/2019 at 21:28, Paul6754 said:

HH, CO2 usually does lag temp rise, It's based on the simple scientific principle that cold water dissolves more CO2 than does warmer water, the same applies to any any gas/liquid.

The evidence can be seen in the various graphs of Temp vs atmospheric levels of CO2. 

You've probably unintentionally done the simple experiment which demonstrates it where you're taken a can of coke out of the fridge, opened it, taken a couple of swigs, put it down in the kitchen at room temp. and returned to it 2 hrs later, taken a couple of swigs to find it's flat.The liquid has simply warmed up and the CO2 escaped leaving the drink flat.

CO2 can lag temperature and temperature can lag CO2. Like kinetic energy can cause heat and vice versa. 

The graphs usually used to show that CO2 lags temp are using the Vostok ice cores from Antarctica. The temperature changes (from Milankovitch cycles) in the southern latitudes lagged the northern hemisphere by hundreds of years - due to less land mass in Southern Hemisphere. They don't show what their proponents think they show.

In fact, I think the papers where the Vostok data is sourced state this. 

5 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

CO2 can lag temperature and temperature can lag CO2. Like kinetic energy can cause heat and vice versa. 

The graphs usually used to show that CO2 lags temp are using the Vostok ice cores from Antarctica. The temperature changes (from Milankovitch cycles) in the southern latitudes lagged the northern hemisphere by hundreds of years - due to less land mass in Southern Hemisphere. They don't show what their proponents think they show.

In fact, I think the papers where the Vostok data is sourced state this. 

Yep I agree HH, the relationship isn't absolute although after an ice age when the earth begins to warm up CO2 most often lags temp.

An interesting question is "What causes the earth to warm up after an ice age", (The levels of CO2 were usually low), the reasons given are usually The Milankovich Cycles which is itself a testament that CO2 does not alone drive the earth's climate and should at least make people question the current focus solely on CO2.

Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes last night.

"If you do win an award tonight don't use it as a platform to make a political speech.

You're in no position to lecture the public about anything.You know nothing about the real world.Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg".

• 1 month later...

Archived