onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket Sri Lanka v England

robf

Advert

Looks like the questions outstanding are:

Who bats at three - looks like Mooen is in form and could edge out Denley

Two spinners or three (or even four with Denley) - I'm guessing they will go with Ali, Rashid and Leach. England's all-rounders allow the team to pick a fair number of bowling options so if Ali is at three, that will allow Rashid and Leach in the tail.

Picking two from Curran, Woakes and Broad. Curran looks to be doing great again and offers LH seam so it may come down to Woakes vs Broad.

For what it's worth I would go with:

Jennings, Burns, Ali, Root ©, Stokes, Buttler (w), Curran, Woakes, Rashid, Leach, Anderson

(four seamers, three spinners, strong tail with Woakes at eight, dodgy top order but I can only pick who is in the squad)

This game could answer a lot of questions.

I think Foakes could be the long-term wicketkeeper answer. By all accounts he's a different class with the gloves than Bairstow and Buttler.

The spinners have all done their job and shows we now have a little bit of strength in depth there. In addition to this trio we have Crane and Bess who are both pretty young.

We've got tons of seam options. Leaving aside Broad's exclusion, Woakes must be the unluckiest man in World Cricket right now. Wickets galore and a ton at Lords and then Sam Curren comes along, wows everyone and nicks Woakes' place. That's not knocking Curran - he's a fine prospect but Woakes is very unlucky not to be in the XI.

But for me the crucial thing will be what happens in the early hours tomorrow morning. The one, obvious question concerns the openers so if Jennings and Burns can do the business that would be a huge step forward.

Good luck, mate. Hope the weather is kind to you and please stay safe.

Thanks Jacko. It was a great week, nice to see us dominate a game from (almost) the start to finish. Foakes innings was sublime, a masterful effort showing up the poor play of the top order, helped by Curran and Rashid. Anderson, Ali and Leach all outstanding with the ball. Some great days and nights away from the cricket too. It is a beautiful country that I cannot recommend highly enough, there really is something for everyone. I have been 4 times and am looking forward to heading back for a 5th in the not too distant future.

Thanks Jacko. It was a great week, nice to see us dominate a game from (almost) the start to finish. Foakes innings was sublime, a masterful effort showing up the poor play of the top order, helped by Curran and Rashid. Anderson, Ali and Leach all outstanding with the ball. Some great days and nights away from the cricket too. It is a beautiful country that I cannot recommend highly enough, there really is something for everyone. I have been 4 times and am looking forward to heading back for a 5th in the not too distant future.

Key question - does it have a Marks & Spencer?

Stokes at number three for the second Test. Hmmm, not sure on that one - they're going to injure him if they are not careful. I know Ali hasn't produced but I would have been tempted to give him this series to bed in at three. It's a position he plays for his county side. After all, Jennings got ten-odd Tests to settle in as opener and that seemed to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Has Bairstow solved the number three issue?

Starting to get some real strength in depth in the team.

I do feel sorry for Woakes. Lost his place to Curran (fair enough) and then still can't get in when Curran is injured. It's not a moan, I do think a sign of a strong side is when a really good player can't get back into the side (and Woakes is a world-class all-rounder waiting for a spot in the eleven).

Archived