onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Bury

Fosse69

With the way we play, coupled with so few chances created, I'm struggling as to why anyone want's to criticise our forwards?

With Whits and Kanu more at home as wingers than forwards but who have both played up front, we still really have four, two of which Aspo doesn't see as starters, so yes, we definitely need another come January even if means some will have to be moved on to accommodate such a signing.

But the manager would be totally kidding himself and worse, fooling us, if he could possibly think signing, even a marquee CF (which ain't going to happen) would cover up either our offensive inabilities or the defensive way he sets them up to play.

Many a better striker than Pope and Miller would struggle to score with the absence of any creation.

If the opposition don't pepper our goal with shots on target, Brown would never get to make a save, but it wouldn't make him a bad keeper. Similarly with forwards, not just our forwards, but any forwards and none can be expected to knock in goals every game if they don't get the service that allows them to do so.

But because we push so few forward, and consistently sit too deep regardless of opposition or venue, Pope in particular is surrounded by opposition defenders every time he goes up for a header, as too is whoever is playing up front with him when trying to shoot or pass. It's little wonder we are resorting to 'snap shots' from anywhere, resolve this and am sure goals will follow

I think miller, with better decision making, a better first touch & better finishing would easily have 7 or 8 goals in the league this season

Advert

Draw would be good. After tomorrow our nine league fixtures left of 2018 look very good on paper, all teams below or within a couple of points of us. Mansfield Away the only real tough one but they don’t win often just draw a lot!!

A point heading into:

Home

Notts County

Swindon Town

Cheltenham

Grimsby

Oldham

Away

Mansfield

Yeovil

Morecambe

Macclesfield

Would set us up nicely. Plenty of points to be had if we can perform to standard especially with Manny likely back after Notts County.

On paper our run in is also quite easy. If we can gain some momentum up to Christmas we can at least maintain some kind of shot for the play-offs.

I think miller, with better decision making, a better first touch & better finishing would easily have 7 or 8 goals in the league this season

That's why I love football, opinions. Do agree at times about Millers decision making, but for me, not only do I think his first touch is decent, the only two clear cut chances I can remember him having created, he's scored from. The same equally applies to Whits, and when he's played Kanu, I genuinely can't remember any of them missing any sitters, or anything that comes close to sitters. Same for Pope who while missing some decent aerial chances from free kicks or corners that perhaps previously he would have put away, they are not the kind of 'open play' chances most are referring to, but again Caselord can you or anyone else point to any great chances he's missed, because I can't?

Lets see what today brings shall we, and just for the purpose of future discussion let's all watch to see if the quality or number of chances created improves, Personally with some on paper anyway, easier games coming up, I would happily snap your arm of for a repeat of last week, but that wouldn't weaken the point many are trying to make about our lack of creativity

That's why I love football, opinions. Do agree at times about Millers decision making, but for me, not only do I think his first touch is decent, the only two clear cut chances I can remember him having created, he's scored from. The same equally applies to Whits, and when he's played Kanu, I genuinely can't remember any of them missing any sitters, or anything that comes close to sitters. Same for Pope who while missing some decent aerial chances from free kicks or corners that perhaps previously he would have put away, they are not the kind of 'open play' chances most are referring to, but again Caselord can you or anyone else point to any great chances he's missed, because I can't?

Lets see what today brings shall we, and just for the purpose of future discussion let's all watch to see if the quality or number of chances created improves, Personally with some on paper anyway, easier games coming up, I would happily snap your arm of for a repeat of last week, but that wouldn't weaken the point many are trying to make about our lack of creativity

Isn't it a bit concerning that Miller has played in all but one game this season and he's only been given two decent chances to score?!

Isn't it a bit concerning that Miller has played in all but one game this season and he's only been given two decent chances to score?!

He is an enigma, likewise the amount of times we could of scored /had scoring opportunities if he passed but didn't has also cost us in games.

don't think we have another player like him with movement and control just needs to expand his vision and timing of a pass and we would generate more chances and goals.

Draw would be good. After tomorrow our nine league fixtures left of 2018 look very good on paper, all teams below or within a couple of points of us. Mansfield Away the only real tough one but they don’t win often just draw a lot!!

A point heading into:

Home

Notts County

Swindon Town

Cheltenham

Grimsby

Oldham

Away

Mansfield

Yeovil

Morecambe

Macclesfield

Would set us up nicely. Plenty of points to be had if we can perform to standard especially with Manny likely back after Notts County.

Realistically, these are the games that we should be targeting as they are against teams we are competing against for a mid table place. We are most definitely not competing against Lincoln, Exeter, MK, probably Colchester and Bury too - their football is on a different planet compared to the stuff we serve up....though Bury could prove me completely wrong this afternoon !!!

A few players that I would like to see playing for the Vale and not Bury.

Nicky Maynard, Jay O'Shea, Jermain Beckford etc.

Vales defence must be at it's best today and hope that a couple of goals will come from open play from Pope, Miller, or any Vale player.

Archived