onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2018 FA Cup - 1st Round - Sunderland at Vale Park

For Us All

There really is a misconception that there are swathes of Valiants out there who simply can't be bothered to go. Smurf propagated this by blaming the Vale fans for not turning up when we were in League 1. The only people who cared about the club went to games; the people he was bemoaning (Vale fans who cared how the club performs but don't attend games) don't exist. There was no effort to tempt new fans to the club, simply a castigation of Vale fans who don't attend games.

FACT: Theres' 3500 Vale fans who go. There aren't many others who debate whether to go or not on a Saturday and then decide at the last minute they 'cant be bothered'.

We've got to stop treating a fanbase like its a given. Lets face facts, and accept the place we're in. Stanley have done a superb job of attracting fans; giving 3000 home shirts out for free to local kids. They accepted they weren't attractive, knew theres no Stanley fans who just need a bit of convincing to go to games. They attacked the problem at the source, and are reaping the benefits of improved attendances now. Let's pretend we're Accrington, and get into the mindset of 'earning' fans.

My comments are very rambly and for that I apologise. I just think, as a younger fan, we're sitting back on our laurels and expecting these mythical Vale 'fans' to come out of the woodwork of their own volition. These people don't exist. We need concerted, modern marketing to attract new fans to the club, and pronto.

We have a decent student population, all keen for a cheap sport to get into. We have a fantastically ethnically diverse city, with certain ethnic groups woefully underrepresented at football games. We have loads of kids, yet untainted by Gary Rowett's utilisation of Darren Fletcher.

Lets stop appealing to Vale fans who don't exist, and start creating Vale fans from scratch. Its a hard task, but a game at Vale Park, in front of the cameras, packed out away end, 10000+ inside a proper traditional ground as they sink a few pints in the nearby MotherTown? It might just convince 50 newcomers to get another ticket. They bring their mates, their families.

UTV

Advert

You really overestimate the city's awareness of what happens at little, tinpot Port Vale. We're 14th in the most tinpot professional football league in the country, escaping non-league by a point last year and facing the likes of Stevenage and Newport. We're an irrelevance.

We simply don't exist on people's radars. None of my mates had a clue we had drawn Sunderland; the first round of the cup is a complete and utter irrelevance to them (as are we). Young people don't read the Sentinel, or listen to Radio Stoke. If they don't consume this media, how on earth are they supposed to know a 4th division club has drawn a 3rd division club (as big as they might be?).

Vale fans, or people with a passing interest with Vale, will know. But, as we are well aware, on a good day there's about 7500 of these.

In my view, with the excellent media team we have at Vale now, more creative methods have got to be employed to reach the people who simply don't think about Port Vale and have little access to news about them. Youtube, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram. Student offers at Staffs and Keele. Going into every single school in the area with a player to get kids interested before their uncle takes them down the 365 megadome.

Wildes absolutely nailed it in 12/13. Pack the Park, ticket offers, blanket coverage, bringing the promotion team from the 90s back. Obviously he was helped by an imminent promotion.

The issue is, we have no one with the drive, creativity, and PR of Wildes at the club anymore.

There will be 5500/6000 Vale fans, and its another missed opportunity. We need to face facts; we're at the bottom of the hill, the lowest of the low. We've got a long way to climb. A bit of marketing isn't going to do us any harm.

We certainly don't want to see adverts, marketing efforts, aggressive promotion of the ticket deal, or any persuasion to come to the game rather than watch it on TV.

After all, no other clubs use these methods do they?

We certainly don't want to see adverts, marketing efforts, aggressive promotion of the ticket deal, or any persuasion to come to the game rather than watch it on TV.

We haven't actually properly tried marketing since the promotion season, and prior to that the target 5000.

I don't class Norm saying "come to the games or imma gamble with the clubs future lol' as marketing.

I don't see what we have to lose. If it doesn't work, go back to the drawing board, and figure out why. Focus on target groups and core messages.

Accrington Stanley have managed it; why can't Vale?

We haven't actually properly tried marketing since the promotion season, and prior to that the target 5000.

I don't class Norm saying "come to the games or imma gamble with the clubs future lol' as marketing.

I don't see what we have to lose. If it doesn't work, go back to the drawing board, and figure out why. Focus on target groups and core messages.

When Vale played West Ham in a cup tie in 1973 Gordon Lee famously toured the area with a megaphone drumming up support. The result was a 20000 plus gate.

How about it Neil?

When Vale played West Ham in a cup tie in 1973 Gordon Lee famously toured the area with a megaphone drumming up support. The result was a 20000 plus gate.

How about it Neil?

Loud speaker van with a tape loop, "Come on down and give us a cheer, lets fill the park - its still here. Tickets on line if short of time. Cash in the office is just fine." No doubt the punch lines can be improved.

Doesn’t help when people have to queue back to Hamil Road to buy a ticket on match days.

Why a pay turnstile can’t be opened in each part of the ground on match days is unbelievable.

Casual supporters can’t be bothered to queue at the ticket office because of the delay.

The only other way is to go to the ground and buy one the previous week.

Easier to watch it for free on the TV.

Doesn’t help when people have to queue back to Hamil Road to buy a ticket on match days.

Why a pay turnstile can’t be opened in each part of the ground on match days is unbelievable.

Casual supporters can’t be bothered to queue at the ticket office because of the delay.

The only other way is to go to the ground and buy one the previous week.

I agree with you when you ask for a cash turnstile to be open but it is not going to happen unfortunately.

What I will say is get there at 2.40, have a ten minute wait in queue at ticket office and then walk straight in ground without any queue.

It is that simple.

The bigger the gate then the earlier you need to be there but its not too much to ask, really, if you really want to watch the Vale.

If you don't want to watch them then its a good excuse ready made for fans.

Nothing is for free as someone has had to pay a subscription to BT to watch it. Personally I took out a long term commitment to BT Broadband so I could; as it turns out I'll have to as watching football at VP on Sundays is for me a non starter.

You really overestimate the city's awareness of what happens at little, tinpot Port Vale. We're 14th in the most tinpot professional football league in the country, escaping non-league by a point last year and facing the likes of Stevenage and Newport. We're an irrelevance.

We simply don't exist on people's radars. None of my mates had a clue we had drawn Sunderland; the first round of the cup is a completely and utterly extraneous to them (as are we). Young people don't read the Sentinel, or listen to Radio Stoke. If they don't consume this media, how on earth are they supposed to know a 4th division club has drawn a 3rd division club (as big as they might be?).

Vale fans, or people with a passing interest with Vale, will know. But, as we are well aware, on a good day there's about 7500 of these.

In my view, with the excellent media team we have at Vale now, more creative methods have got to be employed to reach the people who simply don't think about Port Vale and have little access to news about them. Youtube, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram. Student offers at Staffs and Keele. Going into every single school in the area with a player to get kids interested before their uncle takes them down the 365 megadome.

Wildes absolutely nailed it in 12/13. Pack the Park, ticket offers, blanket coverage, bringing the promotion team from the 90s back. Obviously he was helped by an imminent promotion.

The issue is, we have no one with the drive, creativity, and PR of Wildes at the club anymore.

There will be 5500/6000 Vale fans, and its another missed opportunity. We need to face facts; we're at the bottom of the hill, the lowest of the low. We've got a long way to climb. A bit of marketing isn't going to do us any harm.

Great post!!

So true

There really is a misconception that there are swathes of Valiants out there who simply can't be bothered to go. Smurf propagated this by blaming the Vale fans for not turning up when we were in League 1. The only people who cared about the club went to games; the people he was bemoaning (Vale fans who cared how the club performs but don't attend games) don't exist. There was no effort to tempt new fans to the club, simply a castigation of Vale fans who don't attend games.

FACT: Theres' 3500 Vale fans who go. There aren't many others who debate whether to go or not on a Saturday and then decide at the last minute they 'cant be bothered'.

We've got to stop treating a fanbase like its a given. Lets face facts, and accept the place we're in. Stanley have done a superb job of attracting fans; giving 3000 home shirts out for free to local kids. They accepted they weren't attractive, knew theres no Stanley fans who just need a bit of convincing to go to games. They attacked the problem at the source, and are reaping the benefits of improved attendances now. Let's pretend we're Accrington, and get into the mindset of 'earning' fans.

My comments are very rambly and for that I apologise. I just think, as a younger fan, we're sitting back on our laurels and expecting these mythical Vale 'fans' to come out of the woodwork of their own volition. These people don't exist. We need concerted, modern marketing to attract new fans to the club, and pronto.

We have a decent student population, all keen for a cheap sport to get into. We have a fantastically ethnically diverse city, with certain ethnic groups woefully underrepresented at football games. We have loads of kids, yet untainted by Gary Rowett's utilisation of Darren Fletcher.

Lets stop appealing to Vale fans who don't exist, and start creating Vale fans from scratch. Its a hard task, but a game at Vale Park, in front of the cameras, packed out away end, 10000+ inside a proper traditional ground as they sink a few pints in the nearby MotherTown? It might just convince 50 newcomers to get another ticket. They bring their mates, their families.

UTV

With passion and foresight like that I’m sure that you should be head of marketing and an asset to the club!

Any secondiers????

Accy.Stanley's average attendance last season was 1,979,this season so far it's 2,268 in a league higher.Not sure if the extra 289 are all Stanley fans though.

Nevertheless,they deserve an awful lot of credit for the position they are in.

I agree with you when you ask for a cash turnstile to be open but it is not going to happen unfortunately.

What I will say is get there at 2.40, have a ten minute wait in queue at ticket office and then walk straight in ground without any queue.

It is that simple.

The bigger the gate then the earlier you need to be there but its not too much to ask, really, if you really want to watch the Vale.

If you don't want to watch them then its a good excuse ready made for fans.

Agree with all of that. Also at h/t on saturday when we inevitably run out of pies get the staff to flog f.a. cup tickets. Saves leaving the pub early on f.a cup day.

Can't see Hagrid working for or with Smurf!!!! However I agree that Hagrid's passion and ideas are totally what Vale's marketing Department are crying out for.

The fat blue one is not port vale!!

Port Vale is the fans. Without us history/ goodtimes/bad times wouldn’t exist!!!

I would like to believe that everyone that has the privilege to pull on a Vale shirt has done it for the wage paying fans.

So it’s about time that we had a say!!

If not Kidsgrove Athletic has a great ground, atmosphere and team. Parking is cr@p though.

Hagrid!!!!! We need you!!

Archived