onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2018 FA Cup - 1st Round - Sunderland at Vale Park

For Us All

Advert

Some of the best, most exciting games with the best atmosphere and best singing I've ever seen/heard at Vale Park have been in the FA Cup when we went and drew away on the Saturday and had a replay at Vale Park, usually on the Monday night.

The FA Cup has lost something now the replays are a week and a bit later.

That 10-day rule came in during the days of football hooliganism when the police insisted on having longer to prepare for replays.

It's now totally unnecessary but everything in football has gone soft and players ''can't'' play games in quick succession....so even if the 10-day rule was removed, many clubs would be against it.

This rule, along with holding the semi's at Wembley, TV dictating kickoff times and the disdain shown by Premier League clubs towards the competition have pretty much ruined the FA Cup.

Apologies immediately for being an old duffer. But for God knows how many pages all I’ve read is about money, tv, Smurfthwaite’s back pocket etc etc.

To the older generation,the FA Cup was the highlight of the season, especially for lower division clubs like ourselves.

I grew up with my father telling me about ‘54 and Ronnie Allen and the disgraceful penalty decision and wondered if I would ever be fortunate enough to see that. I never considered money !

The FA Cup was our chance to mix it with the big boys, which was highly unlikely to ever happen in a league situation.

Now we have endless discussions about LOWERING the admission prices for what was the world’s most prestigious competition ! Gates used to be higher for FA Cup matches regardless of who you drew.

If this is what the FA Cup has come to, then it needs scrapping with immediate effect.: angry:

I agree with all of that, however the big difference between then and now is cost. Going to a match is now a luxury, so people have to prioritise more. Football was a sport affordable to the working man, and TV wasn't as much of an alternative. The cost pf football and the increasing opportunities to watch from home, mean fans have become customers. Football clubs are in competition with TV at times, ifollow, and also in competition with everyday priorities. To compete clubs have to either slash prices, or produce winning teams.

I agree with all of that, however the big difference between then and now is cost. Going to a match is now a luxury, so people have to prioritise more. Football was a sport affordable to the working man, and TV wasn't as much of an alternative. The cost pf football and the increasing opportunities to watch from home, mean fans have become customers. Football clubs are in competition with TV at times, ifollow, and also in competition with everyday priorities. To compete clubs have to either slash prices, or produce winning teams.

I would say the latter.

I would say the latter.

I agree to an extent, I think in the first instance attendances will increase due to winning games, but lower league football clubs by their very nature, can't maintain a winning team for a great length of time. Bournemouth are probably the exception. Once you have attracted fans through a winning team, yes, try to maintain that winning team, but setting a price structure that keeps people coming is what's needed, especially when you've got the capacity that we have. That's where we went wrong after promotion. Attracted big crowds, but did nothing as they slowly but surely dwindled. The odd token price drop since hasn't been drastic enough to have fans flooding back, especially when investment into the playing side has been non existent, despite making millions through transfers.

the first round of the F.A cup is the best round of them all, some non league clubs have had to play 7 games just to reach this round its brilliant and it doesn't get enough respect, everyone seems to think the 3rd round is the one when all the greedy league teams come into it, not me id rather get a non league team who actually are buzzing about playing in the competition instead of a greedy league who will completely change their team because the competition means nothing to them anymore

£15 Adults, £10 18-21 and £5 Kids (£2 more in Lorne Street).

Decent pricing that is.

That's what we should have gone for if it wasn't on tv. I fear £15 will deter some people, as will this nonsense about £2 more on the day. What's that all about?

That's what we should have gone for if it wasn't on tv. I fear £15 will deter some people, as will this nonsense about £2 more on the day. What's that all about?
More on the day encourages people to buy in advance, easing the queues on the day for people who are not able to buy in advance.

That 10-day rule came in during the days of football hooliganism when the police insisted on having longer to prepare for replays.

It's now totally unnecessary but everything in football has gone soft and players ''can't'' play games in quick succession....so even if the 10-day rule was removed, many clubs would be against it.

This rule, along with holding the semi's at Wembley, TV dictating kickoff times and the disdain shown by Premier League clubs towards the competition have pretty much ruined the FA Cup.

The solution would be to give the FA Cup winners a Champions League place. But that would mean taking one place from the Premier League wouldn't it? Can't see them agreeing to that even if the FA were in favour.

A good effort by both clubs. But only the actual crowd on the day will determine whether or not reducing admission prices was the correct decision. 10,000 @ say £13 average equates to 7,200 @ say £18. Will reducing the price get us 2,800 more through the gate. The jury is out.

Don't league games increase by £2 on the day as well? Just doing the same as far I can see and encourages people to buy before the day of the game, less hassle on the day.

Archived