onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2018 FA Cup - 1st Round - Sunderland at Vale Park

For Us All

Advert

Not so sure about that. I think the away following will be hit hard by it being on TV, especially on a Sunday. Mind you we have a huge number of fans always looking for reasons/excuses not to attend so you may be right! Surprised that both clubs receive the same - a large part of our fee will be lost in the reduced gate, but Sunderland lose nothing,

As the gate money is split between the 2 clubs, Sunderland do stand to lose out.

I don't think it will make much difference smithie. They are honestly on a similar keel to a lot of very big clubs in terms of away followings in recent years. It's like a religion to a some of their fans and many make a big day of their away games! They sold Shrewsbury out on Saturday just gone(1900ish) easily and could have sold more.

Plus the majority of sides in the lower leagues can't offer them the kind of allocation we can. Making it £10 you could easily be halving your taking on their following alone. Think how many more you'd have to get in just to make that kind of reduction pay! The fact that it is on a Sunday and on TV will put 500 off max imo. It makes very little business sense, maybe perhaps for Vale fans but can you reduce for one and not the other? I don't think so!

The last thing l want to see is that bell-end sticking around. We need rid of this **** as soon as possible.

Completely agree. I doubt very much he has the sense to look long term anyway. He always looks short term, so doubt he'll plan beyond this game. He'll be making the most from Sunderland fans, see more away than home fans, Vale lose, embarrassed on TV, but Smurf will be quids in.

If Sunderland bring 2000 or 4000 it matters not to me but if we can entice more Valiants to turn up by reducing the price and a fraction of them return on a more regular basis that will be great,so Vale must do everything they can to reduce the price..

Also, and on the assumption, BBC and BT will both put on at least two games each I think we are certainties to be televised, because though they do indeed tend to favour games that may have a shock factor, hence the amount of NL, certainly lower league teams getting the limelight, this tie has everything, and could arguably have one of, if not the biggest attendance of the round

Not right often, so when I am, I have to fully milk it! :laugh:

Apologies immediately for being an old duffer. But for God knows how many pages all I’ve read is about money, tv, Smurfthwaite’s back pocket etc etc.

To the older generation,the FA Cup was the highlight of the season, especially for lower division clubs like ourselves.

I grew up with my father telling me about ‘54 and Ronnie Allen and the disgraceful penalty decision and wondered if I would ever be fortunate enough to see that. I never considered money !

The FA Cup was our chance to mix it with the big boys, which was highly unlikely to ever happen in a league situation.

Now we have endless discussions about LOWERING the admission prices for what was the world’s most prestigious competition ! Gates used to be higher for FA Cup matches regardless of who you drew.

If this is what the FA Cup has come to, then it needs scrapping with immediate effect.: angry:

Definitely. This is the time to think about the bigger picture. It's a free hit income wise, now that we're guaranteed £75k from TV money. Agree a price with Sunderland asap and look to get as many Vale fans in there as possible. So many benefits from doing so. Better support for the team considering the huge away crowd regardless of price. Put on a good show on live TV, and try to get as many in as possible. Would improve how the club looks to potential sponsors too. Set the price at £10 and push it like mad. Big opportunity here to show his long term commitment to the club.

I was thinking more potential BUYERS than SPONSORS, but agree completely with everything else...

Apologies immediately for being an old duffer. But for God knows how many pages all I’ve read is about money, tv, Smurfthwaite’s back pocket etc etc.

To the older generation,the FA Cup was the highlight of the season, especially for lower division clubs like ourselves.

I grew up with my father telling me about ‘54 and Ronnie Allen and the disgraceful penalty decision and wondered if I would ever be fortunate enough to see that. I never considered money !

The FA Cup was our chance to mix it with the big boys, which was highly unlikely to ever happen in a league situation.

Now we have endless discussions about LOWERING the admission prices for what was the world’s most prestigious competition ! Gates used to be higher for FA Cup matches regardless of who you drew.

If this is what the FA Cup has come to, then it needs scrapping with immediate effect.: angry:

Another old duffer here. Back in the day FA Cup games got bigger gates than league games. Who can ever forget the first round replay in 1992. Winning at Old Trafford in 69. A wonderful night against Shrewsbury in 68. Beating Blackburn after a replay. These are just first round games. The glory of the FA Cup is something to be cherished. John Rudge's team in 87 took that as a launch pad for our greatest period in modern times. Great cup run and a giant killing then next season promotion to level 2. Sunderland at home is a fantastic draw let's enjoy it.

It was the highlight of the season, blood and thunder usually, a mid Div3 team could put a Div1 team under pressure. 2 promotion places and no playoffs limited interest in the league also. Far fewer games on telly gave cup ties a sense of occasion too.

Why reduce it? Sunderland will bring a decent following(possibly 4K) whether it's £12 or £20 quid. May as well get 20 quid a head out of the majority of them(concessions aside). It makes zero business sense to reduce the price for games like this! Sorry to sound mercenary I wouldn't dream of dropping the price for a game of this ilk! I believe you can't reduce anyway unless both sides agree + the fa!

I've been thinking along the same lines. Especially as it is on TV, how many extra Vale fans will get off their sofas at 10 quid? I doubt more than 1,000. Whereas 3-4,000 Mackems will probably turn up either way.

On the other hand, we need to not be embarrassed by a low turnout of home fans and, if we are to stand any chance, we need fans to get behind the team. It's a tough call.

It's interesting to consider the share of gate money (45% to each team)- might add up to 60k each, or half that if the tickets are reduced below 12 pounds. Each club gets 75k TV money. In contrast, Sunderland received a parachute payment of 45 million from the PL for failing in the Championship last season, will get another 34 million this season and 15 million next season.

Some of the best, most exciting games with the best atmosphere and best singing I've ever seen/heard at Vale Park have been in the FA Cup when we went and drew away on the Saturday and had a replay at Vale Park, usually on the Monday night.

The FA Cup has lost something now the replays are a week and a bit later.

Archived