onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Give Aspin a break

Valiant9

The blokes been here just over 12 months and is a Vale legend. Who could we get to come in who would care as much as Neil must? Granted, there have been a number of strange decisions, none more so than the team selection for Lincoln, but for every move of Monty to left back that has been a revelation, there will be errors too. We will not be in a relegation fight like last year, which in itself is progress. Invariably in the lower leagues, players are given one or two year contracts, so as long as we don't get sucked into a relegation fight again, surely to God Aspin can be given this season as a 'free hit' so to speak (and the free hit will still be progress), as no right minded fan would expect us to be top 6 or top 8, given our budget and squad. Then after the summer, I don't think even Neil would argue that he hasn't had the time to put his own stamp on the squad (the players he would have available on the opening day of next season would either be his signings or players who he has had their contracts renewed which would have been his shout). Then and only then can he be judged. If we keep going from manager to manager it will get us nowhere, and who better to give that time and patience to than 'one of our own?

Advert

It's absolute key, to give those key players on 1 year contracts, new deals! If at all possible, for 2 years or longer!

Legge, Rawlinson, Vassell, Conlon, Manny (how else would the medical team earn their wages...), Hannant. We need to keep the core together, and build on that! If we keep needing to find 8 or 10 starters every summer, we will never progress!

When you build a house, you don't demolish it and start again, every time it's beginning to look like a house. But now we have something that looks like a team, rather than a squad. So let's build on that team!

For as many seasons as I can remember, it seems like it's always come as a surprise, which players contracts were up when we had played the last game. And so it was too late and we lost them!

We need to be proactive, and sign them up in January so we can keep the boat steady!

And don't say it can't be done. Look at Lincoln, they've kept their key players and added to those for the last 3 seasons, and this season, they'll only have themselves to blame if they don't go up!

I know they have a bit more dosh than us, but it can be done and it has to be done!

It's absolute key, to give those key players on 1 year contracts, new deals! If at all possible, for 2 years or longer!

Legge, Rawlinson, Vassell, Conlon, Manny (how else would the medical team earn their wages...), Hannant. We need to keep the core together, and build on that! If we keep needing to find 8 or 10 starters every summer, we will never progress!

When you build a house, you don't demolish it and start again, every time it's beginning to look like a house. But now we have something that looks like a team, rather than a squad. So let's build on that team!

I agree completely, Rawlinson (as a centre back), Conlon, Manny for example have already proved in my opinion that they are more than good enough for this level. I'd hazard a guess that this summer will free up more funds than the last if the likes of Kay, Pugh, Tonge, Barnett are moved on. His signings to date, the above, plus the likes of Hannant, Brown, Legge (granted he's not a long term solution) give hope as they outweigh any dodgy permanent ones. Hopefully The Pontiff still has a good two or 3 years in him, I hope and genuinely believe the future is bright.

I agree completely, Rawlinson (as a centre back), Conlon, Manny for example have already proved in my opinion that they are more than good enough for this level. I'd hazard a guess that this summer will free up more funds than the last if the likes of Kay, Pugh, Tonge, Barnett are moved on. His signings to date, the above, plus the likes of Hannant, Brown, Legge (granted he's not a long term solution) give hope as they outweigh any dodgy permanent ones. Hopefully The Pontiff still has a good two or 3 years in him, I hope and genuinely believe the future is bright.

Me too!

For me, Conlon could actually be the find of the season, as he came on trial by himself and can't be on much. What a player he is, and he will only get better at his age!

Me too!

For me, Conlon could actually be the find of the season, as he came on trial by himself and can't be on much. What a player he is, and he will only get better at his age!

Think hes done well in the summer...

Brown - Success

Rawlinson - Success when played in correct position

Legge - Solid once in the side

Clark - Not our player, but what a player!

Vassell - Only seen him play twice, but impressed in both

Conlon - Great business on a free

Manny - Looks a player when fit

Whitfield - Blows hot and cold, hopefully being settled here permanent will male him more consistent.

Miller - I'm convinced he's got goals in him, I'm sure they will come.

Joyce - Steady, more to come I'm sure

Added to this...

Monty - What a player since moved to left back

Worrall - 2nd best player last season, can only improve this

The Pope - Nothing needs be said

Gibbons- Looked a he'll of a player before his red cards last season, hopefully he can get back to it now he's properly fit again.

Think he's picked a formation today that would at least make us hard to beat, 3-4-3 with the ball, 5-4-1 without, as long as the likes of Hannant and Whitfield can get up to support Pope when we have the ball, could be the way to go.

The blokes been here just over 12 months and is a Vale legend. Who could we get to come in who would care as much as Neil must? Granted, there have been a number of strange decisions, none more so than the team selection for Lincoln, but for every move of Monty to left back that has been a revelation, there will be errors too. We will not be in a relegation fight like last year, which in itself is progress. Invariably in the lower leagues, players are given one or two year contracts, so as long as we don't get sucked into a relegation fight again, surely to God Aspin can be given this season as a 'free hit' so to speak (and the free hit will still be progress), as no right minded fan would expect us to be top 6 or top 8, given our budget and squad. Then after the summer, I don't think even Neil would argue that he hasn't had the time to put his own stamp on the squad (the players he would have available on the opening day of next season would either be his signings or players who he has had their contracts renewed which would have been his shout). Then and only then can he be judged. If we keep going from manager to manager it will get us nowhere, and who better to give that time and patience to than 'one of our own?

Why ????, football is a results driven business.

Clearing off Kay, Pugh and Tonge won't free up that much as they aren't on great money. If the club wants to progress under Aspin then the budget has to be increased.

Clearing off Kay, Pugh and Tonge won't free up that much as they aren't on great money. If the club wants to progress under Aspin then the budget has to be increased.
Who knows, you may well be right. Just trying to make the point that by the summer, regardless of budget, it'll be his side, then there are no excuses. If we have a mid table budget, then by definition that's where we can expect to be, though obviously we can always hope for more. As the guy a bit further up says, it's a results driven business, all's he can keep doing is improving, and I certainly think we have this season, certainly in personnel, and imo this will be proven as the season goes on.

Do kind of get the points you make V9, but taking the romance out of it, football, probably like no other business, is results driven, and am afraid Neil almost invites a lot of the criticism he's taking onto himself with both his absurd team selections, his caution at all cost philosophy and the increasingly obvious fact that he 'struggles' with modern day tactics particularly with his insistence on hammering every ball aimlessly up to Popey

I think he certainly has to be applauded for his recruitment, and the likes of Manny, Conlon, Miller, Brown, Legge and Rawlinson,are clearly all significant improvements on last season and he's also used the loan market well in Clarke and Hardcastle, so why then can he not, as a team get the best out of them and have 'his' team playing on the front foot and attacking the opposition, like any manager at any club and at any level, that's his job, and he will know and accept that

Do kind of get the points you make V9, but taking the romance out of it, football, probably like no other business, is results driven, and am afraid Neil almost invites a lot of the criticism he's taking onto himself with both his absurd team selections, his caution at all cost philosophy and the increasingly obvious fact that he 'struggles' with modern day tactics particularly with his insistence on hammering every ball aimlessly up to Popey

I think he certainly has to be applauded for his recruitment, and the likes of Manny, Conlon, Miller, Brown, Legge and Rawlinson,are clearly all significant improvements on last season and he's also used the loan market well in Clarke and Hardcastle, so why then can he not, as a team get the best out of them and have 'his' team playing on the front foot and attacking the opposition, like any manager at any club and at any level, that's his job, and he will know and accept that

I accept what your saying, if it wasn't Neil Aspin, I think there would be a lot more being said, my point is BECAUSE it's Neil Aspin, and we are crying out for some stability, can we not do it with him? He doesn't help himself at times agreed, but the absolute main thing last year was staying up, which we just about did, there was no time to mess about. As I said, next year it'll be his team, he'd have shipped out anyone he didn't rate, and signed who he wanted, within budget. He's certainly got a better squad than last season, and I couldn't comment on the away games as I don't get to go, but I hear that they are quite defensive minded which I agree with you, needs to change. I would argue that getting the best out of this squad (as our depth isn't brilliant) would be mid table at best, then hopefully next year, we could push for top 10, unless we see any of the Hugill money added to the budget (won't bother holding my breath....)

For as many seasons as I can remember, it seems like it's always come as a surprise, which players contracts were up when we had played the last game. And so it was too late and we lost them!

We need to be proactive, and sign them up in January so we can keep the boat steady!

And don't say it can't be done. Look at Lincoln, they've kept their key players and added to those for the last 3 seasons, and this season, they'll only have themselves to blame if they don't go up!

I know they have a bit more dosh than us, but it can be done and it has to be done!

Totally agree Lincoln have had good FA cup runs bringing some good cash in.

It is vital that we throw the kitchen sink at whoever we get on Monday and make the players understand the importance of progression.

We need some luck of the draw and some good performances dare to dream of us on live TV v Man U etc.

Archived