onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

I just hope that we don't set up not to get beaten again (which rarely works, as we have seen many times). As much as I want Aspin to succeed (and I have never criticised him to date), he needs to have a real think sbout his tactics, particularly away from home. Time and time again, he seems to set up merely to respect the oppo's strengths, rather than exploit their weaknesses. Rudgie was a master at analysing the opposition (which, of course, there is merit in doing), but not from a sole negative viewpoint, as Aspin seems to do (4 tall guys at the back, 2 out of position, and 2 full backs playing in midfield for example, 1 of whom was even on the wrong side, against Lincoln, which in my view took it to the point of farcial negativity!). The constant pumping of the ball out from the back also smacks of a lack of any tactical nouse. Basic common sense (not even tactical brilliance or competence) dictates:

1. If you have the ball, the other team can't score.

2. If you don't have the ball, the sooner you win it back, and the higher up the pitch that you do this, the other team can't score and you have more of a chance of scoring yourself.

3. If the ball is in your possession in the oppo's half, the other team can't score and you have more of a chance of scoring.

4. If you invite sustained pressure on your back line, it will very likely eventually crack.

5. It is easier to pass a ball and retain possession if you make a 10 yard pass along the floor than it is to find your own sole man surrounded by at least 2 centre halves by lumping the ball up to him.

Thats not true at all,what the guy said.

On to the game Saturday,Aspin has said he doesn't know his team for Saturday but he said whichever one he chooses it will be the wrong one...a little dig i think there

That is even more worrying then werstayinup. Miller scores in the week and doesn't play on Saturday. Pugh does ??? Answers on a postcard.

I don’t suppose that Aspo can say much different than to not concede in the first five minutes, but that’s how he starts every match. We’re still all waiting to witness his pre season take on attractive attacking football, but please Neil, if we do concede at any time during 90 minutes, don’t say that’s the plan gone out of the window. If you need advice on how to get the best out of Popey, should he play, then ask any one of 4000 people, or may be the man himself. Starve the Pope and he will snore! Come on mate, try giving it a go for a change, prove us all wrong and and shut us all up. If it’s for the Vale, humble pie is my favourite dish. Prediction is Oldham 0 - Vale 2, now pinch me!

Anyone rung the club shop/ticket office recently? Puts you on hold then cuts you off saying the lines are busy. Tried about 20 odd times now and no way we're that busy on a Friday morning. How hard can it be answer a phone, only wanted pay for some tickets for tomorrow.

Went in yesterday afternoon to get Oldham tickets and their was only one woman working. Said we'd sold 327, with POTG available aswell obviously.

Thats not true at all,what the guy said.

On to the game Saturday,Aspin has said he doesn't know his team for Saturday but he said whichever one he chooses it will be the wrong one...a little dig i think there

He might have intended it as a dig, but it was probably the truth!

Archived