onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Where do we go from here?

Biddulph_PV

to try and take a crumb of positivity from that by saying we scored 2 goals against the league leaders not many teams have done this is a joke. how many teams this season have conceded 6 goals at home to Lincoln. Aspin got it horribly wrong in every single way his team selection his tactics it was so embarrassing to watch

Advert

6 wins in 2018 tells you where we are going.

What can we as fans do about it? Honestly, it's difficult. Smurf said in his last session that if we could raise the £400k as fans (the money he said he puts in over the summer to keep the club afloat) it would convince him to sell. I don't believe a word he says.

It is rotten from top to bottom.

Sad thing is we have some decent pros - Pope, Smith, Legge and Dodds who do care about the club. We do have talent in Whitfield, Conlon and Oyeleke (sadly injury prone). Clark is a great loan signing and Brown a decent honest keeper. Experience and discipline is key to consistency. We look at times like a bunch of either 'has-beens', 'miss-fits', 'wasters' or are just not good enough. On the field we lack confidence and belief, particularly away. This must eminate from a combination of coaching or apathy in the way the club is run?

I would welcome any concerted effort to remove Norman but money rules in his world. Is Aspo as bad as he appears, surely not?

Think there's a lot to be said for that - it's a question of confidence and leadership and if the players' heads are spinning from continual changes in selection and tactics, the inevitable will happen. You can tell when a side is well led and confident in their leaders and we look like a million miles from that. It's compounded by the fact that the better sides can see we're unevenly set up, with players constantly out of position, and they attack our weak points at will.

I'm not going to harp on about it but the one that gets me every time is seeing Rawlinson, a talented 6'4" CH, at right back instead of thriving in a central partnership with Legge, which would give us real defensive solidity down the spine of the team. I've only seen him once at right back but you could tell straightaway he was a fish out of water. Such imbalance in our team is wasteful, unnecessary and damaging.

At the moment, we just don't look like a side with any cohesion and we are certainly less than the sum of our parts.

He's a no-frills CH who heads and tackles. His only ball is a long clearance, but when he makes that clearance down the line as right-back we lose possession, because whoever happens to be there for us is 5ft something and is easily out jumped.

He's a no-frills CH who heads and tackles. His only ball is a long clearance, but when he makes that clearance down the line as right-back we lose possession, because whoever happens to be there for us is 5ft something and is easily out jumped.

I thought Lincoln played that tactic very well, if they couldn't play it across the back they near enough always seemed to played a ball down the line over the full back or in to the channels between the centre half and full back for someone to run on to. Thats always a good outball for the fullback IMO because it turns the opposition full back around. How many times have we seen our full backs concede position there by trying to pick out a pass or not putting enough on it. I have no issue with them trying to play but the problem we've had is that apart from Miller we haven't had a willing runner who will keep chasing those balls all game to put a defence under pressure. Lincoln did it constantly.

Sack manager? No. Who is going to replace him? A journey man manager who has had no success anywhere and always gets sacked after a couple of seasons with a payout. Or, someone with absolutely no experience. Been there. Done that. It was worse than now.

I'd stick with Aspin. This club has been chopping and changing far too much and needs to have some consistency somewhere. finishing mid table is preferable to finishing just above the drop zone.

What Aspin does need to too is get his defence to work as a unit. All I saw on Saturday was 4 players in a line without any cohesion.

I'd probably have put Smith up front to be honest and use him to win headers.

There is another thread mentioning Rudge's 1-6 home defeat against Blackpool. I remember that. Good times and bad times, so they say.

The quality of players we have isn’t the problem. The squad is much improved from last year. Rawlinson, legge,vassel, brown,Conlon, okeleyle, Whitfield, Miller...All good players in my humble opinion. The ingredients are there, so if the Meal is bad, blame the Chef..Irrelevant of some of the guff posted on here, we have good players for this level so the problem must be the system and the tactics. The constant changing and trialing players in different roles, can’t be helping. I’m still confident this team can turn things round. More confident than last seasons nightmare!!!

The quality of players we have isn’t the problem. The squad is much improved from last year. Rawlinson, legge,vassel, brown,Conlon, okeleyle, Whitfield, Miller...All good players in my humble opinion. The ingredients are there, so if the Meal is bad, blame the Chef..Irrelevant of some of the guff posted on here, we have good players for this level so the problem must be the system and the tactics. The constant changing and trialing players in different roles, can’t be helping. I’m still confident this team can turn things round. More confident than last seasons nightmare!!!

Anyone who thinks the same issues from last season in terms of quality still exist is either blind or on a wind up surely. Across every position we are stronger than last year. The issue we face for me isnt hoof ball or tactical negativity it purely these brain farts that happen every 3-4 weeks from Aspin. We've seen when we play players in their comfortable positions we can beat sides comfortably in this league, Northampton, Crewe, Cambridge were all victories that anyone watching the game couldnt deny we were worthy winners and looked a better the team.

For me the issue is when we lose a player to injury we seem to lose the plot and it takes us another 2 games to get back to where we were. We will lose games thats a given however its the mental breakdown type selections like Saturday that actually put us back 3 steps when weve gone 2 forward. Eradicate this panic button and I dont think you would have a side struggling at the bottom of the table. We all know this year we were aiming for midtable and a team which can beat anyone on its day and is hard to beat is enough to do that for sure.

The players need a month of continuity of selection and position to get us back in our stride again. We are easily capable of a win at Oldham and a draw at mansfield. Had we lost 3-2 saturday without a nutty selection i think people would have been happy to push the league leaders and take confidence from it. Instead the players took a confidence mauling due to the manager have a mad one and it cant be allowed to happen again in my opinion.

Archived