onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is it time to try without Pope?

philmpv

Given the situation we have with strikers we’d need to be nuts to drop Pope. He is without doubt our best chance of scoring a goal. I do think he’s been poor recently and has missed a few sitters, but he looks the only one getting into the chances to miss sitters at least. I like Miller and his energy, passion and desire to win the ball but he’s not even really making any half chances and spends a lot of time just running around. Ineffective.

Keep Pope in the team, just let’s remember we have 10 more players on the pitch. Pope is experienced and has a proper footballing brain. If we play around him and not so direct all the time, other players can push forward more and Pope is a top class striker at holding it up and supporting runners down the wings – he was great at when we went up. Pope does a lot more for the team than just scoring goals.

Agree that Legge should be captain though, I’ve noticed Popey can get a bit wingey if things aren’t going well and I think we have better to motivate the players than him.

Advert

He missed a 7 yard sitter at Grimsby and one from 10 yards at Crewe.Sometimes it’s useful to help yourself.

The one at Grimsby wasn't a sitter, Howjy. Granted, the one at Crewe was. I thought Conlon missed our best chance on Saturday, plus the one where Miller was put through on the right hand side of the area and waited for the defenders to come back and tackle him, presumably looking for a foul.

The one at Grimsby wasn't a sitter, Howjy. Granted, the one at Crewe was. I thought Conlon missed our best chance on Saturday, plus the one where Miller was put through on the right hand side of the area and waited for the defenders to come back and tackle him, presumably looking for a foul.

I saw the Miller chance, as he wouldn't finish with his right foot and tried to drible it to his left, and instead lost the chance...

It came to him quickly chesh,but at the very least he should have worked the goalie at Grimsby.I think Tom should get off Miller’s back,he,Miller,must **** himself every time he gets the ball.This continual banging on the floor,slapping of thighs and holding of head does no favours to anyone and especially to Tom’s wrist.Like I said,give Legge the armband and let Tom chill a bit.

This season just shows again how much we rely on Pope and Aspins tactics need a big man up front. If Pope is out we have no one else to take that role on.

Although only checkatrade,last night may provide the spark to show that we can play other ways.

Howjy, There's never been a striker or player in the history of the game that has never missed a sitter.

Popey kept Vale in The Football League last season.

Of course there hasn’t Paul.My comments were in response to ‘nobody is helping him’.Toms’ goals that came after Brown had left were very helpful in us staying up.Before then,he couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo.I’m convinced we need to alter our tactics,whether Popey is in the side or not.

I’d personally like us to rest him until he is 100% fit. I’d hope we don’t play long balls against Lincoln anyway as they’ll kill us as they did last time. Imo it’s not fair to keep asking him to play with injuries, give him a decent rest and he will come back better.
Totally agree mate, Popey's playing with an ankle injury and if he doesn't rest up and let it heal it'll only get worse until he ends up missing for ages. Apart from that a bloke who isn't blessed with pace to start with and who's game involves a lot of jumping & landing is seriously handicapped with a less than 100% working ankle.

We'd be better off biting the bullet and getting him for now while there's still plenty of the season left.

It's pretty clear that, when fully fit, Pope is one heck of an asset. However, if he's not fit then he's not going to be at his best and will not score goals, other than pens. Which is what we are seeing.

There's a long way to go in this season, and we need a fit Tom Pope. So, bite the bullet, rest him (not on the bench) and get him fit. There are other options, as we've seen this week. To keep playing him is not clever.

Archived