onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is it time to try without Pope?

philmpv

Advert

I agree it might be time to rest Tom on Tuesday in the paint pot cup. He needs to be training with the squad to get the best out of him. However, his rest is due to his injury not the style of play, his effort or ability. Hes our best, most consistant player and we should cherish him as one of our own.

I can’t see Pope playing in this at all. But I think we’ll be missing Quigley, Gibbons, Monty and Manny through injury so who starts up front of Pope doesn’t?

I'm struggling to care to be honest. It's a joke competition that gets joke attendances. It's all about Lincoln and Oldham for me.

Give a youth teamer a run out. This is an opportunity to rest Pope. If Miller’s fit give him a go, if he scores it might help his confidence. I’d also be looking to give Hornby a game in goals, get Tonge and Pugh some game time. Try Pugh at left back, he’s a bit of a forgotten option there. Give Dodds and Vassell a game as well.

I'm struggling to care to be honest. It's a joke competition that gets joke attendances. It's all about Lincoln and Oldham for me.

Another way of looking at it is it’s also an opportunity to give some players some confidence after a couple of bad performances.

I'm not sure where everyones memories of the great service Pope received in the promotion year from Vincent & Myrie comes from.

I seem to remember us scoring more goals off scuffed crosses from those pair than good crosses. I reckon Pope scored almost as many headed goals from crosses off Yates than Myrie & Vincent combined.

What the pair did do was rip defences apart with their pace and too a lesser extent skill which occupied the opposition players creating more space for Pope.

In the first half of the season too McCombe had perfected the art of just clearing the opposition midfield with his balls to Pope, this allowed Pope to come short and take the ball on his chest or to feet and the midfield to get past him. In the second half of the season Purse came in for McCombe and Hughes was up top with Pope and we resorted to lumping it up to Popes head with Hughes using his intuition to pick up the scraps. Miller for me doesn't have the football intelligence to do this, but is where we have put our eggs this season.

Miller for me doesn't have the football intelligence to do this, but is where we have put our eggs this season.

Some of his close control is really good but his decision-making lets him and the team down. He's clearly desperate to score (as he should be) but yet again on Saturday he was in great positions to pass and went solo.

That's fine when it ends with a goal but his stats so far show that's a rarity.

Pope has been doing too much outside the box,against Exeter for instance Pope was chasing everything and having to cross the ball himself, keep Pope in the box and feed him and he will score..would the doughters like Pope to be up front for any of our opponents I'm sure the answer is no because he would get goals.

I would say Pope was MOM against MK dons, really battled for the ball and tracked back

Pope isn’t scoring due to a poor support cast not helping him

He missed a 7 yard sitter at Grimsby and one from 10 yards at Crewe.Sometimes it’s useful to help yourself.

He missed a 7 yard sitter at Grimsby and one from 10 yards at Crewe.Sometimes it’s useful to help yourself.

And they are the recent ones.Add to that he has got one assist this season.The promotion season, which people cling to,was 6 years ago.What little pace he had has long gone.The bloke will always put in a shift but

at the moment that’s not enough.Rest needed if he is injured.

Give Pope a break and let his back injury rest up for Saturday's battering he will get from a hard fighting Lincoln side. He is struggling to train during the week and that is not his fault. But something is going to give and we could very well be without Pope for a spell if his injury flares up or he gets another knock.

Why not try Kanu and Miller combo. What has Aspin got to loose. Its a tin pot competition and a good chance to try a different Striker combo. You never know it may work and both players look like they have played for ages together and score goals for fun. Sorry I was just day dreaming again - it is Vale we are talking about.

Aspin will probably set up 1 striker, 5 defensive midfielders and go for the draw. Just don't pass to Mitch Clark in the first 40 seconds of kick off. :razz:

Hope Mitch has recovered from that mistake and gets back to his previous good game.

Howjy, There's never been a striker or player in the history of the game that has never missed a sitter.

Popey kept Vale in The Football League last season.

Archived