onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurfwaite / Nuneaton

Inbothcamps

What happens to the ground if the club folds? Does Smurf basically get to keep it?

The ground and football club are separate entities. Smurf has kindly offered to wave any rent owned (something that has never been paid to ground owner in past).

Rumour is that he is looking at getting Coventry City to use the ground. Perhaps for 1st team (agreement at RICOH ends soon) but more likely training and their academy.

Advert

Call me cynical, but it’s all pretty obvious isn’t it ?

Smurfthwaite buys the ground, he gives Thorn a deal where he doesn’t have to pay debtors so he’s happy. People want to buy the football club but The Blue One’s fiscal demands make that impossible. The club folds, Smurfthwaite has land he can now redevelope. Happy days ! And all in record time !

Meanwhile, supporters lose their beloved club, the town loses a focal point and all while potential investors are priced out of a deal because someone thinks it is financially beneficial if the club’s doors are rammed shut, or at least get rid of the pesky tenants and attract a more financially viable option.

Of course I don’t know any of this to be true,

but ......

Seeing as Smurthwaite has an affinity to Nuneaton as opposed to Burslem surely if his intentions are genuine he should get out of Port Vale and take over at Nuneaton.Surely if he was decent human being this would be his only course of action.

One other point from me on this sorry, sorry situation.

By Smurfthwaite’s own admission he has had countless recent meetings with regards to a club he doesn’t own and can supposedly have no input into.

Meanwhile, a club he does own continues to float rudderless down continually choppy waters.

As my A Level papers would have requested,

“Discuss”

I’m sure it all makes perfect sense, but sadly not in this world.

The ground and football club are separate entities. Smurf has kindly offered to wave any rent owned (something that has never been paid to ground owner in past).

Rumour is that he is looking at getting Coventry City to use the ground. Perhaps for 1st team (agreement at RICOH ends soon) but more likely training and their academy.

Am I cynical enough, at my tender age, to think that Norm, having seen the books and knowing Nuneaton is terminally finished, bought the ground (with the sweetener of being altruistic enough to not charge rent that had never before existed), knowing that in due course he would have a valuable piece of land which he could rent out to, oh I don't know, a team from his home town who have a good chance of being homeless in the very near future?

Am I cynical enough, at my tender age, to think that Norm, having seen the books and knowing Nuneaton is terminally finished, bought the ground (with the sweetener of being altruistic enough to not charge rent that had never before existed), knowing that in due course he would have a valuable piece of land which he could rent out to, oh I don't know, a team from his home town who have a good chance of being homeless in the very near future?

That’s not as far fetched as it seems Hagrid.

But without Smurf coming to the rescue of PVFC there would be no PVFC :wink:

Even though he didn't know he was actually buying a football club.He was led into it by a close mate who he didn't really know very well. :doh:

He faces a massive problem though. The land leading to the ground is owned by the Rugby Club.

This started before Smurf appeared. Was "resolved" then started again.

The (cut down) history is that the football club had to move grounds, so bought the ground off the rugby club and agreed that the rugby club could also use.

When the football club went bust in 2008 the new owner of the football club said the agreement was null-and-void and stopped the rugby club from playing on it.

The only retaliation was for the rugby club to put skips on their land, meaning most of the turnstiles could not be used.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/skipgate-saga-resolved-nuneaton-borough-14952095

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/gallery/skips-blocking-entrances-nuneaton-town-12452056

1_Skips-Nuneaton-town-02.jpg

He faces a massive problem though. The land leading to the ground is owned by the Rugby Club.

This started before Smurf appeared. Was "resolved" then started again.

The (cut down) history is that the football club had to move grounds, so bought the ground off the rugby club and agreed that the rugby club could also use.

When the football club went bust in 2008 the new owner of the football club said the agreement was null-and-void and stopped the rugby club from playing on it.

The only retaliation was for the rugby club to put skips on their land, meaning most of the turnstiles could not be used.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/skipgate-saga-resolved-nuneaton-borough-14952095

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/gallery/skips-blocking-entrances-nuneaton-town-12452056

[ATTACH=CONFIG]357[/ATTACH]

So he bought the ground / land which is basically on land he can not get access to.:laugh: But he is blaming other people:laugh: A shrewd business man / property developer that has NEVER lost out on a deal.

I feel sorry for Nuneaton fans as I do for all the Smurthwaite loving Vale fans.

Another decent club in a car crash scenario with the clueless buffoon at the wheel. Frankly I’d have preferred if Vale had gone under than put up with the last 3 years and any future years under Smurthwaite.

Sounds like a pretty good business decision to me. If not Smurf then someone else would have done it.

Archived