onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

I dont recall Wigan beating us in the FA Cup,I remember going to Old Trafford and Johnny James scoring at the Warwick Rd end in extra time circa 1970-71 to win 1 nil.

You could well be right - I thought they beat us 2 - 1 or 3 - 1, but we beat them after 2 replays. But the point wasn't really about the FA cup game!

Advert

Only conceded 8 goals in 7 matches and a couple of them dubious penalties. Some teams conceded twice as many Notts County for one. Crewe 6 in one match! Yes we can do better but it is more about scoring goals at the other end, need to get more crosses to back post for Pope. All this business about players playing out of position is rubbish we have a lot of players who can play in variant positions. Need to get players to be more consistent in games but we have got some players coming on to a game, let’s give them support to improve them. Don’t forget Aspin had to do without Legge and Montano so had to make changes.

It's not the numbers but types of goals we are letting in that concern me so. The goals at Colchester, the four against Lincoln, the two at Newport, and Saturdays, were all a combination of either individual mistakes and or lack of organisation, and we must do better.

You are of course right about goals, or lack of them, and maybe, and am just throwing this out there, our reliance on Pope getting on the end of crosses (which aren't arriving anyway) is one of our problems in as much as it almost forces us to go long which simply isn't working. He is just as adept at holding the ball up as he is winning headers, so why don't we try utilising that talent to bring others into the game because the only time he really looks like scoring are from free kicks.

You are again right about the lack of consistency with many of our players, but do you not think asking people to play in strange positions, which you claim is rubbish, is inviting problems and certainly contributing to their inconsistencies?

Only conceded 8 goals in 7 matches and a couple of them dubious penalties. Some teams conceded twice as many Notts County for one. Crewe 6 in one match! Yes we can do better but it is more about scoring goals at the other end, need to get more crosses to back post for Pope. All this business about players playing out of position is rubbish we have a lot of players who can play in variant positions. Need to get players to be more consistent in games but we have got some players coming on to a game, let’s give them support to improve them. Don’t forget Aspin had to do without Legge and Montano so had to make changes.

It isn’t rubbish at all. Hannant can play at left back but that dosent mean he should or is a left back. He’s completely wasted there as was Conlon at left wing. Two injuries so he had to change it; he certainly didn’t have to mess about with the side as much as he did.

It's not the numbers but types of goals we are letting in that concern me so. The goals at Colchester, the four against Lincoln, the two at Newport, and Saturdays, were all a combination of either individual mistakes and or lack of organisation, and we must do better.

You are of course right about goals, or lack of them, and maybe, and am just throwing this out there, our reliance on Pope getting on the end of crosses (which aren't arriving anyway) is one of our problems in as much as it almost forces us to go long which simply isn't working. He is just as adept at holding the ball up as he is winning headers, so why don't we try utilising that talent to bring others into the game because the only time he really looks like scoring are from free kicks.

You are again right about the lack of consistency with many of our players, but do you not think asking people to play in strange positions, which you claim is rubbish, is inviting problems and certainly contributing to their inconsistencies?

We are though trying to build a new team and an all round team that eventually can compete with the best in this league. I too aren’t always assured about Aspin’s picks. For sure Miller should be in the side but then I would play 4-4-2.

Agree with all this. Part of the problem is that people who don’t go only have Radio Stoke as a reference point... and that unfortunately means that they only have Ray Williams boarderline unprofessional negativity to go by.

I watched the game on ifollow and his dour attitude is going too far.

He made FGR sound like Barcelona in the first half oohing and ahhhing every time they played a triangle at the back without threatening the vale at all.... when the vale did the exact same thing it was because “we don’t have any options”

When we started to dominate and looked the better side all he could say was that FGR has “taken their foot off the gas”

When their winger was hassled into not being able to play a cross and kept having to exchange passes with their midfielder in the corner and it was suggested that the vale had defended well, Ray could only say “well to me it just looked like they were having fun”

There were countless examples where he took the absolute negative viewpoint of anything.

My favourite was a comment about Manny. Instead of saying “Manny has been or best player” he took the negative twist “none of the other vale players have been anywhere near as good as Manny today” ... it’s a real negative gift to turn a positive into a negative like that!

On Praise and Grumble when asked to say something positive and asked about the improvement in performance in the second half and how the vale were the better team... his actual answer was “the goal they conceded in the first half was bad”

He clearly has an issue with someone at the club and it’s beconing unprofessional.

If he is the only reference point for people who cant make it to see the game then no wonder the place is surrounded with a negative vibe... and then praise and grumble has the cheek to have a go because we are not positive enough.

Give me a break.I am a happy go lucky guy but have seen so much that is wrong on and off the field that antidepressants are part of my staple diet.

Give me a break.I am a happy go lucky guy but have seen so much that is wrong on and off the field that antidepressants are part of my staple diet.

I listened to the match on radio stoke on Saturday and worall's name came up twice in fortyfive minutes so it seemed like vale where playing with 10 men yet those who went say he had a good game can you spend more time saying what's going on the pitch and not we have not said this players name or that player and also the advertising that the three of you do i.e this programme is on later the scores from stoke and crew this can be done at half/full time The programme starts at 2pm here the team news stoke weave made one change the subs are same with crewe come the vale and its you've made changes again why what your starting eleven thanks no subs bench you spend about 45 min on about stoke the other 15 mins adverts about which programmes are coming up in the next week a bit about crewe and vale if all three teams have there separate channels why can they not have there own build up to the match on that channel

I think Ray can enjoy commentating and his lucky job and still offer an honest, if slightly cynical, appraisal of how bad we've been for 2.5 years. I'd prefer that than someone being on the radio, and cus they're chuffed to be there saying "Vale are really good and the club's in tip-top shape", as thats clearly not the case.

If I had to sit through every game we've played for the last few seasons I'd probably be as downhearted. Its torture at times.

Wasn't Ray pretty positive postgame on Saturday?

Archived