onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Not sure who this left winger was, I thought we played Pope, Worrall and Whitfield with Clark and Hannant supporting, with the possible exception of Worrall (even though he worked hard) all did a decent job for long spells.

I think Gibbo is off form and I think Hannant worked at full back... all opinions, I suppose. Don’t forget Hannant has been working with Monty on that side. Sorry, not square pegs in round holes for me.

I sometimes wonder if I've been at the same game as many of the posters on here. And then I remember that most of them haven't been there so that explains it.

Firstly, I heard callers to Radio Stoke talking about how we had started slowly again today. No we didn't. We could quite easily have been in the lead before they scored after Conlon had a very good shot saved by the keeper's legs and Whitfield and Pope skewed the follow ups. Then Pope himself had a header wide. Yes the goal we conceded was poor but that was fifteen minutes into the game after we had had the better chances.

I said at half time that you could have put me in goal for Vale and it would still only have been 1-0 because I honsetly couldn't remember a single effort they had had on goal apart from that header.

We get a draw away at one of only tree unbeaten teams in our league who had just scored seven goals in their last two games and folk on here seem dissatisfied because we didn't play like Barcelona. FGR are a better team than they were last season yet we lost down there in January and were considerably more useless than we were today.

Aspin is not the best appointment we could have made but he's probably the only one who was prepared to come for the sort of salary on offer. Live with it because in contrast to FGR, we have an owner to has no emotional commitment to the club at all.

Agree with all this. Part of the problem is that people who don’t go only have Radio Stoke as a reference point... and that unfortunately means that they only have Ray Williams boarderline unprofessional negativity to go by.

I watched the game on ifollow and his dour attitude is going too far.

He made FGR sound like Barcelona in the first half oohing and ahhhing every time they played a triangle at the back without threatening the vale at all.... when the vale did the exact same thing it was because “we don’t have any options”

When we started to dominate and looked the better side all he could say was that FGR has “taken their foot off the gas”

When their winger was hassled into not being able to play a cross and kept having to exchange passes with their midfielder in the corner and it was suggested that the vale had defended well, Ray could only say “well to me it just looked like they were having fun”

There were countless examples where he took the absolute negative viewpoint of anything.

My favourite was a comment about Manny. Instead of saying “Manny has been or best player” he took the negative twist “none of the other vale players have been anywhere near as good as Manny today” ... it’s a real negative gift to turn a positive into a negative like that!

On Praise and Grumble when asked to say something positive and asked about the improvement in performance in the second half and how the vale were the better team... his actual answer was “the goal they conceded in the first half was bad”

He clearly has an issue with someone at the club and it’s beconing unprofessional.

If he is the only reference point for people who cant make it to see the game then no wonder the place is surrounded with a negative vibe... and then praise and grumble has the cheek to have a go because we are not positive enough.

A left midfielder at left back and a centre midfielder at left wing is 100% square pegs in round holes. No reason not to play Clark left back, Gibbo right and Hannant left wing. None whatsoever. We got away with it yesterday, and the worrying thing is the managers continued trend for doing that in other positions too in other games this season.

Most of all of them, really! There is no allowance for people making mistakes; players underperforming or not achieving expected potentials - it's straight into screech mode. There appears - as I said - to be no real point to anything, just hysterical gibberish! Is that ok with you?

I'm convinced most of our problems stem from a lack of quality in the full back positions and central midfielders playing out wide. There's just no service into the front two.

Absolutely agree that all our full backs have struggled to get into games in an attacking capacity. We’ve not seen them link up well with the wingers either. We’ve seen the opposition shut down their space in games and we’ve found no way around it. Part and parcel of that too is the tactics and formations we’ve played as well. Sometimes we’ve had wingbacks, a lot of times with new combinations playing together as well. We just haven’t settled on anything and I honestly don’t think our management have the tactical nous to change things in our favour.

I don't see the points about the "Full backs". Yesterday and last week Clarke was excellent and made some surging runs, he's been excellent since he joined Vale. Montano was one of Vale's best players last week going forward til he came off injured (the nutmeg was brilliant), Gibbons came on and looked nervous/lacking in confidence but got his act together and played his usual game, yesterday Hannant did a job at left back and got up and down the pitch but I agree he isn't a left back.

Gibbbons has lost his confidence as Aspin said in his interview, it was as plain to see as could be when he came on vs Newport, but he'll regain it and will be at Vale for a long time unless he chooses to leave.

Montano as a wing back is fine going forward but defensively does get caught out of position at times. Hence why one or two teams have targeted Vale's left this season.

As for the wide players, for some reason Worrall hasn't played as well this season with the ball at his feet but he's too good a player at this level not to return to where he was, can never fault Worrall for lack of effort, he was everywhere yesterday.

Hannant for me is a very neat and tidy footballer and does well on the left. He doesn't have blazing pace but he gets up and down the line to help out the wing/full back.

We do have a winger in Montano but Aspin chooses not to play him there. A bit like Alf Ramsey who had two superb wingers in his squad and chose not to play them, so there is precedent.

IMHO Vale could press teams more, we tend to stand off and let other teams play. Also when they went down to 10 men we nearly got caught twice on the counter a la Crewe, need to fix this.

Hence why he spends more money on FGR and he also has more money to spend.

We should have seen the writing on the wall when Wildes wanted to spend Norm's money in quantities sufficient to allow Vale to progress and Norm didn't. It was portrayed at the time as Wildes profligacy being reined in by Norman's pragmatism. Now we see the result.

There is only one person who should be removed and it's not Neil Aspin.

Archived