onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Come on Neil go now.

Still can't fathom who on the coaching staff can possibly look at that formation and think to themselves "Yeah, this is working. More of this please, same again Saturday"

Even more mind boggling when you consider that we are playing so many players out of position to make it "work"

Aspin came in last season and said we need to start creating chances. Pope went from having half a chance every 3 games to scoring 19 goals and keeping us up.

It's not rocket science, we literally sing a song every game that tells you what happens when you give him some service.

Lets stop frigging about, 4-4-2, get down the wings and get some balls in the box.

Advert

Reading all the views and opinions on here about Aspin there is only 1 way forward for Vale and that is for the manager to change HIS tactics and now do what he promised after the abyss was avoided so narrowly last season. Whilst wanting Aspin to come good I have severe reservations as to whether he is able to break his defensive shell. Watching Vale home and away has been a chore and it does your head in time after time putting out a squad with the sole intention of not being beaten. Aspin realises fans can't stomach much more of the complete dross he is responsible for. Now he has only 1 option and that must be to at least give games a go. If we lose like we do regularly anyway it will show he can change if he just tries to give fans some entertainment and hope of the players trying to get 3 points, never mind 1. Over to you Aspin, show us NOW that you are learning and that football is NOT all about trying to kill a game. I honestly want him to succeed, BUT to do so matters have to alter and alter now before we are sucked into yet another long, terrible season of dross.

Tranmere fans saying we looked every inch a 'Gary Brabin' side, and they should know given he used to be their manager.

Like I keep saying, Aspin should grow a set and take over this situation - be bold and go to win matches. I'm just worried that a leopard can't change its spots.

He won’t he has played the same way since becoming a manager ask any fan of any of his clubs. He needs to go and take bra bin with him.

Aspin inherited some dross but when he came he got the dross working hard and playing a system that worked, unfortunately he lost Gunning and a few others but what he has failed to do is replace them with better players with IMO failing to bring in a decent left back to replace Gunning which wasn’t too difficult as Gunning was no world beater. A lot of the players that have come in are no better than what we had and a lot are just not played, Aspin still does not know what his best formation is and keeps playing players out of position which just isn’t good enough for the time period he has been here. I’m hoping he comes good but not expecting it anymore. Smurf is the real problem we have and if Aspin goes we will just end up with another manager that simply is not good enough but for me if Aspin loses against Newport I’m not bothered if he goes.

Neil no one has any appetite to boo or protest against a true vale legend that helped a club punch above its weight for years. Your tactics are dire your selection and your belief in players like Quigley frankly beggar belief. You would probably prosper in continuing to maintain a non league club to a mid table position every year.

For us all to remember you in a positive manner do not tarnish this Glover style.

Why I rarely contribute to the debate these days....

Even more mind boggling when you consider that we are playing so many players out of position to make it "work"

Aspin came in last season and said we need to start creating chances. Pope went from having half a chance every 3 games to scoring 19 goals and keeping us up.

It's not rocket science, we literally sing a song every game that tells you what happens when you give him some service.

Lets stop frigging about, 4-4-2, get down the wings and get some balls in the box.

I agree with this. I don't want to come across as some sort of dinosaur screaming clichéd stuff about 4-4-effing 2.

On Saturday we played a 3-4-3 but the two wide players in the midfield four were pushed back into the fullback positions and made a de facto back five. Montaño and Hannant looked for most of the game like a full back and a wide midfielder playing in an orthodox 4-4-2.

Pope himself said something in the press along the lines of the system not working well if we lose the ball and the wide midfielders get pushed back and can't support the attack. Well, guess what - we lost the ball a lot. We pumped a lot of rubbish balls in the general direction of Pope that he couldn't win.

I think the lack of umpth in the centre of the park and a half decent winger is what we lack. Desperately so at times!

Oyeleke and perhaps Conlon would appear to be the solution to the first of those problems, at least at home and it's a shame they have both been injured so far. Kay is a tryer and a good experienced pro but he lacks that certain something that a good allround CM should have and of course age is also against him. Also I've never been convinced Hannant and Worrall are great wide players in the 'winger' sense of the word. I think we can get away with them to a point if Oyeleke is playing but otherwise we lack any creativity on the flanks unless Montano has a good game on the left or the opposition are crap down their right side!

The Kanu signing appears a strange one when you consider this as he can't get any minutes, does Aspin really rate him? Surely the lad has a bit of energy and pace that could be utilised in some games?

Going back to the original point of the thread I'm in agreement that tactically Aspin does seem lacking at times(especially away from home). You only have to look when we last won a game to realise he isn't getting it right there. Overall I think he did well last season to keep us up in one sense but we need to be showing more progress and an away win or 2 pretty sharpish wouldn't go a amiss!

Aspin is a hero of mine, I've been Vale for nearly 40 years and he's still my favourite player but as a manager he is toss, in my personal opinion he needs to be alot braver and set out to win games instead of defending well which normally means we have had our backs to the walls for the majority of games. Regardless of what people say on this thread I think he has been given a competitive budget, Pope, Miller, Legge, Worral, Joyce, Brown and probably Smith be on decent money for league 4, Aspin has built HIS team this season that looks unbalanced and definitely short of any flair to create, like I said earlier out of the whole squad we haven't a single player who's first instinct is to take their opposite number on and whip a ball in or drive past them to make themselves a shooting option instead what we do is the second we get closed down is hit it long or try to cross from deep, I'd like to be able blame the strikers for missing chances but there are no chances for them during a game.

Spot on

Should we now be singing in line with our current tactics. " Starve the Pope and he wont score"

Neil no one has any appetite to boo or protest against a true vale legend that helped a club punch above its weight for years. Your tactics are dire your selection and your belief in players like Quigley frankly beggar belief. You would probably prosper in continuing to maintain a non league club to a mid table position every year.

For us all to remember you in a positive manner do not tarnish this Glover style.

Are you for real! The club has been in turmoil for 15 years now ( and we got promoted during that time) the last thing that we need is another manager that you stokies can lambast on this forum. Go away, lock yourself in the money dreamland that kicks off when the TV companies require and leave proper grass roots football to the true supporter. As for NA I can’t think of a better man at the moment ( they only buy success in the premiership moneyland) he has brought quality into the squad, Brown, Legge, Manny, Conlon, Hannett, Millar,Clark, Rawlinson. How many of this type and class of player did brown bring in?? I don’t see many of them left in the squad unless you count the transfer list. After 6 games you are calling for his head!!! Grow up and look what Gary Rowett Is doing to your beloved red and white championship pie eating favourites. ********!!!!!!

Absolutely fantastic meltdown from nickkidsgrove in the last half hour. Stuff of legends for this forum.

Chuckling at the thought of him telling wereskint to eat some pies, then saying it again, and then repeating it a third time, in 3 separate posts across 5 minutes. Iconic.

On the issue of big man Aspo, I don't think he's quite good enough to get us out of this league but I think he deserves the season. I honestly don't back Norm to replace him with anyone better and at least with Aspo we know we're getting a decent defence and probably mid-table. If current issues (lack of creativity, poor away form, reliance on Pope) aren't showing signs of improvement come May time, then we need to have a rethink. Sacking him now and parachuting in lower league journeyman number 9 to guide us to mid-table will achieve little than splitting the fanbase and doing disservice to a decent man and a club legend.

Archived