onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Formations

Advert

For me a back 4 with 2 proper full backs. Monty needs to be an attacking winger and we know realise how important Manny is to us in midfield. If he is injured then Hannant, with his energy is the man to partner Joyce in mid field. Pope and Miller as the 2 upfront. Miller just needs to understand that shooting on goal is good but sometimes a pass is the better option.

The most important thing for me is to actually play players in their natural positions. A simple 442 would do or 352. But with players playing where they should do.

I don’t want see rawlinson at right back when we have a decent one In gibbons who must have upset aspin.

I want to see montano further up as against carlise.

Hannant not stuck out on the wing especially with manny injured as we have no legs there. Just keep it simple and play players where they’re actually decent.

I've often thought at this level 5.3.2 is the way to go - because it means playing with two out and out strikers but also because it gives you five (theoretically) across midfield and that's where games are won and lost. The "weakness" in that system is the space behind the wing backs. You need fairly quick centre backs to cover the space behind and two wing backs who are strong, energetic and can get forward as well as defending, so it's quite a responsibility on their shoulders. I'm not sure we have two full backs who are ideally suited to that, so maybe a solid 4.4.2 is the way to go and more simple to understand.

I think a midfield of Joyce, manny and conlon would be our best suited in a 352 formation when all are fit.

Joyce holding with Manny and Conlon getting forward to support Miller and Pope.

Play a back 3 of Rawlinson, Legge and Smith with Montano / Hannant wide left and one of Clark / worral /Gibbons on the right.

Don't think that would be a bad side at all.

I think a midfield of Joyce, manny and conlon would be our best suited in a 352 formation when all are fit.

Joyce holding with Manny and Conlon getting forward to support Miller and Pope.

Play a back 3 of Rawlinson, Legge and Smith with Montano / Hannant wide left and one of Clark / worral /Gibbons on the right.

Don't think that would be a bad side at all.

There is no way Hannant could be left out, he’s been one of our top 3 players this calendar year. I’d like to see him in a middle 3 with Joyce and Manny but Aspin seems convinced Hannant is a winger. I don’t think any of us have seen enough of Conlon to make a decision on whether he should be in the first 11. It will be helpful when he’s fit as he will definitely give us more options.

I've often thought at this level 5.3.2 is the way to go - because it means playing with two out and out strikers but also because it gives you five (theoretically) across midfield and that's where games are won and lost. The "weakness" in that system is the space behind the wing backs. You need fairly quick centre backs to cover the space behind and two wing backs who are strong, energetic and can get forward as well as defending, so it's quite a responsibility on their shoulders. I'm not sure we have two full backs who are ideally suited to that, so maybe a solid 4.4.2 is the way to go and more simple to understand.

That's my thought. 442 is ok if you've got better players than the opposition. Not many teams play 442 every game now.

For me a back 4 with 2 proper full backs. Monty needs to be an attacking winger and we know realise how important Manny is to us in midfield. If he is injured then Hannant, with his energy is the man to partner Joyce in mid field. Pope and Miller as the 2 upfront. Miller just needs to understand that shooting on goal is good but sometimes a pass is the better option.

I also think 4-4-2, it suits the best players we have and should be the "base system" but defending I'd be flexible and turn it into a 4-5-1 with Popey or Miller dropping back at times to bolster the midfield, particularly away from home.

As 593 says play players in their natural/best positions.

I also think 4-4-2, it suits the best players we have and should be the "base system" but defending I'd be flexible and turn it into a 4-5-1 with Popey or Miller dropping back at times to bolster the midfield, particularly away from home.

As 593 says play players in their natural/best positions.

Neither Pope or Miller are able to play in midfield in a 451. Miller plays on the shoulder and Pope is an out and out target man. If you want to play Pope and Miller away you've got to play 352, 442 or possibly Miller wide right in a 343. If you play 343 Miller would need to drop back in to midield when we haven't got the ball and you lose what he's good at.

Neither Pope or Miller are able to play in midfield in a 451. Miller plays on the shoulder and Pope is an out and out target man.

When Vale don't have the ball then either Popey or Miller could drop a little deeper to make it a 4-5-1, when Vale regain the ball then revert back to a 4-4-2.

If you want to play Pope and Miller away you've got to play 352, 442 or possibly Miller wide right in a 343. If you play 343 Miller would need to drop back in to midield when we haven't got the ball and you lose what he's good at.

I'm not a fan (not that anyone cares what I think) of 3 at the back, we saw in the WC with England one of the weaknesses of 3 at the back, when pressured it becomes a 5-3-2 and there is too much space on the wings for oposition players to have time and pick their crosses into the box. Also as happened with Vale last year, 3 at the back gives the opposition wingers space to linger or run into and that's trouble. Monty in particular got caught out too far forward on a number of occasions.

I'm with you in that Vale don't want to give up Miller playing on the last shoulder or Popey as a target man but being flexible with the formation with/without the ball may be a solution.

It's early days for Vale this season but it's easy to see a scenario where Vale get the majority of their points at home and not many away and finish mid table....ish which after last season would be OK with me. Finding a method to get points away from home is the key to Vale doing well this season.

if we carry on playing 442 with joyce and kay we will struggle for the majority of games they just haven't got the energy its like watching tonge and pugh. you need at least 1 of them to be able to dictate the midfield and be able to push up the pitch to support the strikers and wingers, if Manny is back or not i'd try Hannant in the middle and i'd play monty and kanu on the wings. but you can bet he'll stick with kay and joyce.

Archived