onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Current affairs and state of the team?

Mr Vale

Evening all,

I've been away from the Vale for a while after suffering a few personal issues and took a bit of a wrong turn in life with depression and anxiety issues clouding my mind a little, and a lot of moving around. (Not that kind of wrong turn, I'm not a criminal, I promise!!) Any who... I'm miles better though now and I'm now in a position where I'm able to start going matches but I'm a bit behind on events on and off the pitch so I'm going to fire a few questions out.

What are our expectations for this season realistically, who's been the most outstanding player(s) for us so far, and what's the situation like with Norman at the moment and any news on selling the club? I'm aware he purchased Nuneaton Town, but does he still stay away from Vale matches?

Many thanks!

Advert

I think most of us would be satisfied with a safe and sound mid-table finish and steering clear of the bottom two. We don't have a good enough squad to do a lot better than that, in my view, and we still depend very heavily on Tom Pope. He remains our key player.

Some of the new boys have disappointed but others shown great promise. Oyeleke looks decent and Joyce and Rawlinson have done quite well. Up front, the enigma that is Ricky Miller played very well in the first game but hasn't quite replicated that since. He's got ability and trickery but goes offside a lot and still has a lot to learn at this level.

Norman doesn't look like budging any time soon and appears to want more than the Club is worth. He is attending games and is taking the chairman's role once again.

You'll pick up the gist of all this I'm sure on the other threads and websites, including the Sentinel.

Glad to have you back!

Been where you've been Mr Vale, so delighted you feel better mate, am also delighted with six points even though it's been hard work.

Several problems for me, defensively, we look disjointed susceptible to any team who run at us. Colchester and Lincoln did that and we simply couldn't handle it. The midfield (Manny apart who looks real player) look equally disjointed. We don't press and continually invite teams on by sitting way too deep and miles way from the front two.

Biggest problem is (again Manny apart) there is little guile and even less creativity. I remember a great cross for Popes second on the opening day, he forced one great save at Colchester from another cross and missed a really decent chance Saturday, but that's about it. All other efforts have been self created or long range efforts and that's a real problem. Miller could be anything, he certainly puts in a great shift, and is a real pest, but whether he is as good a finisher as his record suggests, who knows, that will only become evident when we actually create some chances.

Clarke looks like a very decent player, and if Saturday is anything to go by, am sure will do well but generally Monty apart who is wasted at LB, we lack pace, and aree crying out for a couple of loan additions to arrive in the next ten days.

All that said, we do at least look resilient, epitomised by our backs to the wall defending Saturday, and by the end of the season, could end up being nearer the top than bottom.

I know you won't stop it but it's not quite as doom and gloom as son make out. We have a lot of new players and of course it will take time, and though I can't say I am his biggest fan, all this Aspin out nonsense after just four games is as cringe worthy as some of the goals we have leaked.

Archived