onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

Advert

There is a lot of "What I think" on this thread. I have not been to any pre season games but I sure as he'll will be there on Saturday. So here's what I think.

I think Neil will pick what he thinks at this moment in time is his strongest 11, with what he thinks is the best formation, let's face it it's his team. So I just hope come 5 o'clock on Saturday we have our 3 points in the bag, because there's nothing like a good start to the season. However if not not to worry let us not forget it's a marathon not a sprint so to speak. UTV.

Yes, I remember now - Gibbo was playing at left back that day and was given a real workout by Amoo. Let's hope it's a bit different this time round!

Yes it was a good battle between them. If I remember correctly Davis was getting the run around from their left back and left winger and Gibbo went across to that side second half and played right back.

It's always hard playing a team in back to back games - especially when you've been hammered 5-0. It's partly a question of personal pride and a determination to do better but we'll probably have no more than 3-4 in our 11 who played in that match (Gibbons, Smith, Pope and Hannant) so it's largely a new team.

Looking back you still shiver when you contemplate a back four including Davis on the right, Howe in the centre and Gibbons on the left, shielded by Tonge and Pugh. It was clearly nowhere near physically strong enough, nor quick enough, and no real surprise that we lost heavily. It summed up our season.

I tend to the view already mentioned that a lot of teams in our division are of similar standard but what marks out the better teams is (a)organisation (b) physical strength and height and © having an odd player who can turn a game with a flash of individual brilliance. © bothers me because I'm doubtful that we do have a player or two with stardust on their boots, though I still maintain that Dodds is capable of producing a bit of quality. (a) and (b) should be as read but we really haven't looked organised at all in pre-season and lack a bit of height/strength in the team still for me.

But let's see. I don't see CU as anything other than a good average league two team. Nothing out of the ordinary to fear. Famous last words!

It's always hard playing a team in back to back games - especially when you've been hammered 5-0. It's partly a question of personal pride and a determination to do better but we'll probably have no more than 3-4 in our 11 who played in that match (Gibbons, Smith, Pope and Hannant) so it's largely a new team.

Looking back you still shiver when you contemplate a back four including Davis on the right, Howe in the centre and Gibbons on the left, shielded by Tonge and Pugh. It was clearly nowhere near physically strong enough, nor quick enough, and no real surprise that we lost heavily. It summed up our season.

I tend to the view already mentioned that a lot of teams in our division are of similar standard but what marks out the better teams is (a)organisation (b) physical strength and height and © having an odd player who can turn a game with a flash of individual brilliance. © bothers me because I'm doubtful that we do have a player or two with stardust on their boots, though I still maintain that Dodds is capable of producing a bit of quality. (a) and (b) should be as read but we really haven't looked organised at all in pre-season and lack a bit of height/strength in the team still for me.

But let's see. I don't see CU as anything other than a good average league two team. Nothing out of the ordinary to fear. Famous last words!

After last Saturday's performance I'm also concerned the about lack of height in the team and also as you put it someone with a bit of star dust in their boots.

It's also a worry to me that we seem to need to bring in another centre half,I'm hoping that Legge can step up to the mark,if not, we may as well have kept Kay in that position because there doesn't seem that much difference between the two.

We surely can’t do any worse than last time? Or last season in general with those two donkeys in midfield.

Precisely, they gave us the run around last time because we had nothing in midfield - absolutely no defensive shield and no attacking threat. As you say, it was Tonge and Pugh (Kay was missing) and so the back four came under constant pressure. In addition, Whitfield, playing wide right did absolutely nothing to help Davis who was playing out of position at right back and so they had a field day down that flank. At the same time, Gibbo was tied up trying to keep a hold on Amoo, a really tricky winger and so we had no attacking threat down the left either. Up front, Pope and Dior were isolated and, in fact the best bit of football Pope played was to come back into defence, dispossess a Cambridge player, beat a couple more and play a great ball out of defence. Pity he couldn't have been there on the receiving end as well. Still gives me the shivers how wretched we were.

So yes, the odds are that we can't do as badly but it depends on how much they've improved as well. Really hope we can make it a decisive win. I've had my fill of remembering that game.

I haven't been to Vale Park for over 2 seasons now. Got my sister to pick me up a ticket today and will be driving down on Saturday morning to cheer on Aspin and his newly assembled team. I have zero expectations and just hope that we can be at least competitive.

Welcome back :thumbs:

I know some on here are ready to slash their wrists before a ball is kicked! However, I am actually looking forward to this new season.

Having watched so many turgid, awful displays, both home and away last season I find myself surprisingly relaxed.

We surely have got rid of many of the dead wood and replaced them with apparently better players. Aspin has a mighty season infront of him and I for one will give him my full support to hopefully see an upturn in our fortunes.

I'm not expecting miracles but anything has to better than last season, doesn't it?

Valiants have to give the new systems and players some time to gel and I sincerely hope we can, all of us, be patient and then see an improvement in our Clubs future.

ds

I haven't been to Vale Park for over 2 seasons now. Got my sister to pick me up a ticket today and will be driving down on Saturday morning to cheer on Aspin and his newly assembled team. I have zero expectations and just hope that we can be at least competitive.

Nothing,s changed.

Archived