ollyandpatch

Where will we finish?

Between 21st and 17th

This talk of pushing for the playoffs is delusional I'm afraid. Not negative, just realistic.

I think that's slightly negative.

We finished 4 points off 17th last season and that's with Brown in charge for 10 or 11 games.

I think we've improved in almost every position and I wouldn't say we've regressed in any position.

Famous last words I know but I can't see us being anywhere near as bad as last year.

9th-12th for me.

I think that we'll be lucky to make half way, I don't think that the players signed are up to much and I'm concerned that the manager is still trying various formations to suit the players that we have.

Garbage signings terrible formations .

Favouratisms . Boring boring tactics..

In Aspin we trust until christmas

I feel the same way. We could either click into place and challenge for the play offs or totally capitulate (injuries, bizarre team selections/tactics) and end up scrapping at the bottom, again.

Why should we put up with crap signings and dire team selections. There is a reason Aspin has never been touted as a bright young manager. Because he is garbage.

I think without stating the obvious but Miller and Pope are the key as to where we will end up. If they score 35+ between them I think we could push towards the top half because we certainly don’t seem to have any goals from other areas of the pitch once again.

The supply won’t be the greatest with how we are probably going to set up so I think we are going have another poor season.

Aspin does seem to sign players and quickly gets rid of them. Does he watch these players?

Am I the only one who is dreading the season starting next week. Really wish we had at least a few more weeks of peace. Enjoyed not having Vale around over the summer. Not looking forward to it but start it must.

I think lower mid table finish , I’m worried about the lack of creativity from wide positions and getting goals from midfield but hopefully we will have enough not to be dragged into a relegation scrap

My guess would be 10th or 11th. I think we've probably done some pretty tough training, judging by the injuries and Some players seeming fatigued in friendlies. The fitness work is over now and they'll be concentrating on the Cambridge game. If Pope and Miller work well we'll challenge for the playoffs. If Pope gets a long injury we'll struggle.

I think that's slightly negative.

We finished 4 points off 17th last season and that's with Brown in charge for 10 or 11 games.

I think we've improved in almost every position and I wouldn't say we've regressed in any position.

Famous last words I know but I can't see us being anywhere near as bad as last year.

9th-12th for me.

I hope you are right and I'm wrong!

Gk and centre mid are considerably stronger. Our "goalkeepers" (I use that term loosely) cost us about 14 point last season so that will help having signed Brown.

My main worry is other teams will just have added to their squad and released some of their dead wood whereas we have started again for the 4th season running! And I feel we don't have enough pace and creativity from wide areas to supply the forwards.

Also, the squad is imbalanced again. We have about 7 centre mids, 1 winger and no left backs. Plus no settled formation.

My main worry is other teams will just have added to their squad and released some of their dead wood whereas we have started again for the 4th season running! And I feel we don't have enough pace and creativity from wide areas to supply the forwards.

Also, the squad is imbalanced again. We have about 7 centre mids, 1 winger and no left backs. Plus no settled formation.

I agree with most of that. We've had another transfer windows where we have added double figures and for the 3rd summer in a row its been a major squad overall. Thats not good for stability and continuity. So I'd be happy with some consolidation and midtbale to have a platform to build on.

In terms of how we are going to set up and play, its anyones guess. I'm concerned we don't have a settled formation yet. But I'm sure it will iron itself out.

With the creativity I think we are asking a lot of our fullbacks (even if we play 4-4-2 or wingbacks) to be the creative forces in the team. Thats a lot to put on the shoulders of a young player like Gibbons in particular and also Hannant, Monty and Worrall if they end up playing wide. Hopefully Monty stays fit as we have no natural left back cover, other than going with 3 centre halfs and putting Hannant left wingback. In fact we don;t seem to have a great deal of depth in the wing or full back positions.

I think we need to be patitent because 2 seasons of disaster isn't easy to get over when we're essentially starting over again.

Edited by PV1973

Haven’t a clue to be honest, I won’t get carried away like some over friendlies because ultimate we’ve had great pre seasons and gone down!

It’s a far better side on paper than last year, we’ve answered the issues of goal keeper, lack of legs in the middle and experience at the back.

Striker wise remains to be seen, Miller certainly has it in his locker and Dodds will chip in. Quigley did well a league below.

We lack width which at Vale Park is a concern as that’s always been something that’s advantageous to us at home and we are not sure what formation we will go with and how it will work.

Based on improvements to the playing staff around 10-14th i expect, if Miller has a good season scoring wise and Pope stays fit then you never know...

We lack width which at Vale Park is a concern as that’s always been something that’s advantageous to us at home

For the preseason games the pitch has been noticeably narrowed too.

Similar to a lot of people really. it's difficult to gauge where this side is in the grand scheme of things.

Positives: the backbone of the side has been strengthened. A good experienced keeper in that side last season would have been worth a good 10 points to us at least (as well as a bit of a cup run), so I'm delighted we've got Scott Brown in.

Concerns: The number of goals there are in this side. Still. This has been our undoing over the past couple of seasons. We've got players who can finish now at least, but I'm worried about the number of chances we look like we can create.

You have to hope things can't be as bad as last year, because if they are we'll be bang in trouble.