onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Conlon Signs and Miller Cleared to Play

PV1973

With Miller he hasn’t been injured so will have trained every day, possibly trained more than the players who have been playing the games. There’s only one way to get match fit and that’s by playing matches.

True its catch 22, and even though hes doing all the same training hes missed out on the games and getting up to speed.

Would you throw him in to the first match having probably only played 1 pre-season game?

I think he'd be sub in the first game and come on later to try and make an impact if needed. After that we can ease him in with reserve games and sub appearances to get his match fitness up.

Advert

Depending on Saturday and the formation Aspo's planning on playing I would give Dodds a runout either just behind Popey or at the front of the midfield. Hes had as solid of a preseason as anyone else and Im personally happy to see him doing so well and really trying to earn his place

With Miller he hasn’t been injured so will have trained every day, possibly trained more than the players who have been playing the games. There’s only one way to get match fit and that’s by playing matches.

you will likely find hes played countless practice matches and weve played other sides on the training ground without it being an 'official friendly'

I wholeheartedly and unsurprisingly disagree.

The point of the Notman argument is the same as the ‘Broken window theory’ ... there may only be small issues now... but Norman creeping back into the football side of things (like arranging a friendly) unchecked, will only lead him to him thinking it’s a good idea for him to influence the football side of port vale football club.

And history proves that there isn’t much good to come out of that.

You think it’s ok for him to get involved. I think he should leave it 100% to Aspin and Rudge.

However... we have argued about this over and over and have different opinions. So let’s not ruin another thread.

I also don’t agree with the comment that “People are shunning the anti Norman agenda” but that cant be proven either way, so no point going round in circles. All I would say is Trump in the US does a great job of just saying things because he wants them to be true. I’m not sure that will work with OVF.

You could disagree with someone if there was only yourself to talk to

you will likely find hes played countless practice matches and weve played other sides on the training ground without it being an 'official friendly'

We’ve played no practice games other than the short 11 a side matches they do between themselves as part of normal training.

Amen, been saying this 12months plus. People moan about sandwiches, serving beers, toilets, and all manner of stuff that doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things. Pick your battles such as the 10 game season tickets and you tend to win, moan about everything and even your own supporters dont listen after a while.

fair enough matt.

are you still boycotting vale next season because we re signed dodds?

Saturday's starting 11 will be interesting. We do seem to have quite a few intelligent footballers so I don't think being flexible over formations is quite the problem some think. Oyeleke may well have a bigger problem than Miller as he's missed both training and matches. Not sure lack of a full 90 minutes in preseason precludes starting as most players haven't played a full 90 yet.

Of the players who've done better than expected I'd guess you'd say Dodds, Rawlinson and Conlon.

Underperformed Legge, maybe Daniels although he was always going to take a little time to adjust (delivery in to the box was good in very short viewing of him), Kanu and maybe Quigley, although I think he's looked good in parts.

Vassell and Oyeleke have both had knocks so hard to call. Miller, only the squad could make a judgement. Joyce and Brown have both been good but that is as expected.

I think 8 of the 11 are probably fixed in Aspin's mind now which is less than when preseason started with the 3 players really showing up well maybe deserving starts.

I am confident that Louis Dodds will score more goals than Ricky Miller for us this season.

I'd take a bet on that. The team may score more goals with Dodds in it but Miller is an out and out striker, which Dodds isn't. Dodds playing in the space between Pope and the midfield is a good player. If Dodds scored 10 goals you'd say he'd had a good season.

With Dodds I hope we don't go down the route of using him out wide. Either play him where he's effective or use him off the bench to change things during the game. Out wide he hasn't the speed to cover the fullback and get forward to support the attack quickly enough. He does the defensive part of the role ok but doesn't influence the attack as much as he has the ability too.

Archived