onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Conlon Signs and Miller Cleared to Play

PV1973

I don't think Aspin and Smurf gather round a PC and spend hours on google maps looking at the home addresses of potential signings before we arrange a friendly.

Give it up RZ. It was ridiculous to start with. Anything other than humble pie will make the argument even more laughable than it was.

Give it up RB. On 6th June the preseason friendlies were announced and there was no mention of a game at Nuneaton. It was only after the ownership of Nuneaton changed that we suddenly had a friendly there. Obviously an important part of the preseason. I don't think we arranged is specifically to let Conlon play so attempts to justify it because we have signed him are pointless.

Advert

Last season we had a huge squad and player turnover. Some of the players had playing records that indicated they could do well at Port Vale, but the failure rate was in fact about 80%. We couldn't keep goal, couldn't defend well enough, couldn't get through second halves, didn't have enough goal scorers.

So I can see logic in all the signings made. With a smaller squad all the players have a chance of playing and can hope to keep their place if they do well. I sense we can at worst be well clear of relegation and may be promotion contenders.

I'm confident we'll be difficult to beat this season given the improvements made in goal, defensively and in midfield. That should keep us comfortably away from relegation danger. Our chances of top seven will depend on the attacking players brought in scoring goals. Miller could be the key to this if he can form a decent partnership with the Pope.

I'm confident we'll be difficult to beat this season given the improvements made in goal, defensively and in midfield. That should keep us comfortably away from relegation danger. Our chances of top seven will depend on the attacking players brought in scoring goals. Miller could be the key to this if he can form a decent partnership with the Pope.

When we've had the right players fit we've concentrated on the 3 at the back formation. My worry is that we don't seem to have got to grips with it yet and I think there are still problems with that as we get towards to the first game of the season. Because we arguably haven't got the best out of Montano and haven't seemed to settle on the front 3 either because of Millers absence. Realistically I can't see Miller making the starting 11 for the Cambridge game because he will be nowhere near being match fit yet, but also I don't think Quigley has shown anywhere near enough in pre-season to warrant a start.

Give it up RB. On 6th June the preseason friendlies were announced and there was no mention of a game at Nuneaton. It was only after the ownership of Nuneaton changed that we suddenly had a friendly there. Obviously an important part of the preseason. I don't think we arranged is specifically to let Conlon play so attempts to justify it because we have signed him are pointless.

This is why people are shunning the anti smurf rhetoric at the moment.

Pick your battles. This is not one of them.

Brown

Gibbons

Legge

Smith

Montano

Hannant

Joyce

Oyeleke

Worrall

Pope

Miller

Subs:

Hornby

Rawlinson

Kay

Vassell

Conlon

Dodds

Kanu

We're going up, aren't we?

Is that your preferred starting 11 or the one you think will start next week? Personally I think Rawlinson has been better than Legg in preseason.

This is why people are shunning the anti smurf rhetoric at the moment.

Pick your battles. This is not one of them.

Amen, been saying this 12months plus. People moan about sandwiches, serving beers, toilets, and all manner of stuff that doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things. Pick your battles such as the 10 game season tickets and you tend to win, moan about everything and even your own supporters dont listen after a while.

Amen, been saying this 12months plus. People moan about sandwiches, serving beers, toilets, and all manner of stuff that doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things. Pick your battles such as the 10 game season tickets and you tend to win, moan about everything and even your own supporters dont listen after a while.

I wholeheartedly and unsurprisingly disagree.

The point of the Notman argument is the same as the ‘Broken window theory’ ... there may only be small issues now... but Norman creeping back into the football side of things (like arranging a friendly) unchecked, will only lead him to him thinking it’s a good idea for him to influence the football side of port vale football club.

And history proves that there isn’t much good to come out of that.

You think it’s ok for him to get involved. I think he should leave it 100% to Aspin and Rudge.

However... we have argued about this over and over and have different opinions. So let’s not ruin another thread.

I also don’t agree with the comment that “People are shunning the anti Norman agenda” but that cant be proven either way, so no point going round in circles. All I would say is Trump in the US does a great job of just saying things because he wants them to be true. I’m not sure that will work with OVF.

Don't you realise the moon is made of cream cheese, IC? :wink:

Back firmly on thread, I think it's going to be very interesting what team Aspin picks, as well as his preferred formation.

I'm sure he'll try and give them all a go this Saturday, injuries allowing.

One thing that must be troubling him is that neither Oyeleke or Miller has yet had 90 minutes.

It's a difficult selection problem because we probably have 14-15 in realistic contention for 11 places and adding Conlon to the squad has muddied the waters.

I suspect PV1973's line-up is as good a guess as any.

I think it's going to be very interesting what team Aspin picks, as well as his preferred formation.

I'm sure he'll try and give them all a go this Saturday, injuries allowing.

One thing that must be troubling him is that neither Oyeleke or Miller has yet had 90 minutes.

It's a difficult selection problem because we probably have 14-15 in realistic contention for 11 places and adding Conlon to the squad has muddied the waters.

It would be crazy if Apsin considered giving Oyeleke (if fit) and Miller a start against Cambridge. Come next Saturday they will have hardly played more than 90 mins of the pre-season. Its nowhere near enough to be ready to go. Conlons seized his chance and gives the manager a good problem once Oyeleke is fit again. I think Dodds has too, hes looked good in pre-season as well.

Some mentioned the cover on the wings, maybe it was Hagrid, but we don't have a lot of cover down them. If Worrall, Gibbons, Monty or Hannant are missing for whatever reason then we don't have that much depth in there as I imagine those 4 players are going to be starters.

It would be crazy if Apsin considered giving Oyeleke (if fit) and Miller a start against Cambridge. Come next Saturday they will have hardly played more than 90 mins of the pre-season. Its nowhere near enough to be ready to go. Conlons seized his chance and gives the manager a good problem once Oyeleke is fit again. I think Dodds has too, hes looked good in pre-season as well.

Some mentioned the cover on the wings, maybe it was Hagrid, but we don't have a lot of cover down them. If Worrall, Gibbons, Monty or Hannant are missing for whatever reason then we don't have that much depth in there as I imagine those 4 players are going to be starters.

With Miller he hasn’t been injured so will have trained every day, possibly trained more than the players who have been playing the games. There’s only one way to get match fit and that’s by playing matches.

Archived