onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Paul Madeley passes on

Advert

Great player indeed. Very versatile and seemed to be one of the "nicer" Leeds players.

He was sometimes left out of the team as Revie preferred Reaney & Cooper as his full backs but Madeley could play anywhere. So stylish.

(I saw Leeds first defeat that season - at Stoke in February. Smith scored the winner as Stoke came from behind 0-2 to win the game 3-2. Fantastic match. But that Leeds team -loathe them or not - was a very very good one and they knocked the ball around as well as any English team I've ever seen.

I was in the Butler Street Paddock and I can still remember Eddie Gray giving Marsh a terrible time in the first half, beating him at ease, nut-megging him and making him look a right twerp. The crowd was giving Jackie a load of stick so at half time he came over to the hoardings and said if anyone could do any better they could have his shirt for the second half!)

Great player indeed. Very versatile and seemed to be one of the "nicer" Leeds players.

He was sometimes left out of the team as Revie preferred Reaney & Cooper as his full backs but Madeley could play anywhere. So stylish.

(I saw Leeds first defeat that season - at Stoke in February. Smith scored the winner as Stoke came from behind 0-2 to win the game 3-2. Fantastic match. But that Leeds team -loathe them or not - was a very very good one and they knocked the ball around as well as any English team I've ever seen.

I was in the Butler Street Paddock and I can still remember Eddie Gray giving Marsh a terrible time in the first half, beating him at ease, nut-megging him and making him look a right twerp. The crowd was giving Jackie a load of stick so at half time he came over to the hoardings and said if anyone could do any better they could have his shirt for the second half!)

I too was at that match.

Seem to remember Leeds being in total control, then it quickly went pear shaped ! Was that the match where Leeds scored from a quickly taken free kick, which was too quick for Stoke’s liking ?

Incidentally Vale lost 2-1 at Hereford that day. One season wonder John Woodward scored for Vale.

But with regards to Madeley, he didn’t seem to fit in with Revie’s thugs. Not a “kicker” as I recall but had a strange running style. Very erect, as though he had a board up his back I used to think !

Sad that yet another player leaves us.

Another hero of our younger days departs, sadly. I have just read Paul's wiki entry. He and his family did very well in business and made a lot of money back in the 1980s. Clearly he was a multi talented man, and not just on the football field. Sadly he seems to have been dogged with ill health for the last 15 years or so. RIP

Madeley had several nicknames from memory. "The 11 Pauls" was one as he could play anywhere. "Rolls Royce" was another as he was such an unhurried, stylish player, lovely to watch.

Hey RR less criticism please of John Woodward who I remember with affection! His partnership with Ray Williams was a joy to watch at times - both being very fast and very direct. A shame it fizzled out but I think Woodward fell out with Roy Sproson didn't he and wasn't the same player again? Wasn't he also originally a star for SOT schoolboys?

Madeley had several nicknames from memory. "The 11 Pauls" was one as he could play anywhere. "Rolls Royce" was another as he was such an unhurried, stylish player, lovely to watch.

Hey RR less criticism please of John Woodward who I remember with affection! His partnership with Ray Williams was a joy to watch at times - both being very fast and very direct. A shame it fizzled out but I think Woodward fell out with Roy Sproson didn't he and wasn't the same player again? Wasn't he also originally a star for SOT schoolboys?

For that first season with us, he was something we hadn’t had for a while. A genuine goalscorer !

Like you he was one of my favourites, especially as we signed him from Walsall ! But for some reason he faded as quickly as he had shined.

Today I’ve come across a signed and framed Vale team Photo in a cupboard from circa 1973.

On it are Ray Harford, Alan Boswell, Bob Mountford and ladies man Tommy McLaren, all of course who are sadly no longer with us.

There may be more who have passed, but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind. Very sad, but happy memories of watching them play !

Hey Sage, you’re comments about Jackie Marsh got me thinking about a alleged similar incident with John McCue and the Butler St Paddock!

In the 80’s I used to go 5-A-Side at the college in Moorland Rd. As it was technically a night class it had to have a “teacher”. The said teacher was no other than John McCue! Anyone who knew John will testify he was never short of something to say !

The father of one of the lads who played with us, who had the misfortune to support Stoke, tells this story that he was at a match in the 60’s where McCue was getting dogs of abuse from the Butler St near to where he was standing. This bloke swears blind that after yet another round of verbals McCue cracked, jumped into the paddock, clobbered this bloke, clambered back onto the pitch and carried on playing !

One Thursday night at 5-A-Side I challenged McCue about this, as to if it were true. For once his mouth didn’t open and eventually, albeit very unconvincingly, he denied it. However my mates dad was insistent that it genuinely happened !

Have you, or any other reader for that matter, heard this tale before ?

I really hope it is true ! :laugh:

I remember that game very well.Stoke were 7/2 to become the first team to beat Leeds that season.Jackie plus half the Stoke team made a small fortune,fact.Paul Madeley was an elegant player in any position you put him in.Should have been a regular international.

I agree. And linking this point to another thread, wasn't he one of the small group of players that Alf left out of his 1970 squad when he had to cut it down to 22? I think Peter Thompson (great Liverpool winger, wonderful player, saw him score a cracker against Banks at the Boothen End one Saturday afternoon) got left out on a record three occasions (62, 66 & 70).

This talk of Madeley got me thinking of other Leeds players, including Paul Reaney.

Reaney of course missed out on Mexico ‘70 with a broken leg, but had been previously capped by England.

Reaney would be acknowledged as mixed race and therefore in today’s terminology “black”. Therefore, why was Viv Anderson recognised as England’s first black player when indeed his first international was a number of years AFTER Reaney’s debut ?

Never really got my head around that one !

I agree. And linking this point to another thread, wasn't he one of the small group of players that Alf left out of his 1970 squad when he had to cut it down to 22? I think Peter Thompson (great Liverpool winger, wonderful player, saw him score a cracker against Banks at the Boothen End one Saturday afternoon) got left out on a record three occasions (62, 66 & 70).

I remember Thompson scoring a winner at VP in 1964.Terrible man.

Archived