onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread Port Vale v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Fosse69

Advert

If we get Howkins then play him with Smith and Rawlinson or Legge that would make better sense with Monty even playing LWB in that formation and Gibbo on the RWB. Seems the most sensible solution to me if determined to go with the England style formation!

He isn’t trying it because it’s ‘England style’ look at his previous clubs it’s his favourite formation to play!

The Walker - Monty role is England and that formation has issues.

I was more referring it to the England style as comparable rather than the reason it’s being used. Hopefully we sort it but seems to still be a work in progress to fine tune it.

The Walker - Monty role is England and that formation has issues.

You are right, as Aspin has specifically referenced Kyle Walker when explaining why he is trying Montano in that role.

The irony for me is that I don't even think that Kyle Walker is particularly good at/suited to playing as one of three centre-backs, and is wasted in many ways from his best and most effective position (although, of course, England's argument/reasoning is that they have found a quality replacement right-back/right wing-back in Trippier......not something that Vale can similarly state regarding switching Montano from left-back/left wing-back!)

Just personally don't see the issue with:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Montano

Worrall Oyeleke Joyce Hannant

Pope Miller

Hornby Vassell Rawlinson Conlon Daniels Dodds Quigly

Its basic, but thats a strong 11. Worrall and Hannant work hard enough to unleash the fullbacks, Smith works best with a big man, nice cover on the bench (Kanu, Kay not on there).

I liked Howkins but he doesn't appear necessary. If the budget is tight, I'd love an out and out winger/natural left back.

I understand that experimentation is what pre-season is for but some of it (Hannant at LWB, Monty at CB) is just getting a bit silly now.

As Santa has said, now Monty is confident again, it would be good to give him a bash at his natural position. Thats why the non-signing of McKeown, who in friendlies and by Aspo's account was more than competent, makes little sense. As a club we have 0 proper, trained, out and out left backs.

As we all know, the management knows a lot more than us. At the minute, after a very, very strong opener to the window, I'm left feeling a tiny bit apprehensive, 10 days out, that we're messing about a bit too much. I'm seen as a moaner on here, but I feel far better about the club now then I have done for 2 years. Just a bit worried by the mad experimentation so close to the season, the lack of wingers, and the lack of a left back.

He isn’t trying it because it’s ‘England style’ look at his previous clubs it’s his favourite formation to play!

The whole Montano at CB thing is very England though.

The key difference being Walker spent a season being coached by the best tactical manager on the planet, and was making the very standard transition from full back to centre half.

Monty's had our coaches, and in the space of 6 months is going from a winger to a centre back. Its madness.

Hopefully it'll be abandoned as an unsuccessful experiment.

1st post on here. the experimenting has got a bit silly now. i don’t feel the need to go 3 at the back. it seems to give us less width and don’t get the best out of players such as monty, hannant and the whole back line looks disjointed at times whereas when it switched in the second half to a 4, the line of the back four was a lot better and we got down the sides a lot more! one thing i will say is we still look like we need a striker because quigley he a lot of learning to do if he’s to play at league 2 level. for a big lad he doesn’t seem to be that aggressive and decision making isn’t the best. 2nd half was a lot more settled i thought and see the best of players such as legge gibbons joyce and even the trialists. i am hoping we start with a 442 come the 4th of august!

I know formations are always a hot topic but my main concern is a lack of pace and quality in the side. We seem to have signed a lot of yet unproven non-league players and journeyman, I really hope it works out but realistically I'm expecting another lower half finish.

Just personally don't see the issue with:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Montano

Worrall Oyeleke Joyce Hannant

Pope Miller

Hornby Vassell Rawlinson Conlon Daniels Dodds Quigly

Its basic, but thats a strong 11. Worrall and Hannant work hard enough to unleash the fullbacks, Smith works best with a big man, nice cover on the bench (Kanu, Kay not on there).

I liked Howkins but he doesn't appear necessary. If the budget is tight, I'd love an out and out winger/natural left back.

I understand that experimentation is what pre-season is for but some of it (Hannant at LWB, Monty at CB) is just getting a bit silly now.

As Santa has said, now Monty is confident again, it would be good to give him a bash at his natural position. Thats why the non-signing of McKeown, who in friendlies and by Aspo's account was more than competent, makes little sense. As a club we have 0 proper, trained, out and out left backs.

As we all know, the management knows a lot more than us. At the minute, after a very, very strong opener to the window, I'm left feeling a tiny bit apprehensive, 10 days out, that we're messing about a bit too much. I'm seen as a moaner on here, but I feel far better about the club now then I have done for 2 years. Just a bit worried by the mad experimentation so close to the season, the lack of wingers, and the lack of a left back.

100% agree with this.

I would also add the the strikers would much prefer to have crosses delivered from the final third which 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 gives you rather than wing-backs where the crossed mainly come from deeper.

Our biggest issue is a lack of creativity but you don't need to be overly intricate to get the ball wide and put in a cross.

For me, we are a side in transition and need to keep it simple...but we are moving away from that for no apparent gain.

Not convinced.

At this rate (if he signs) Conlon is a nailed on starter for me for the Cambridge game. Even if Oyeleke shrugs off his injury in time for the Shrewsbury match hes hardly got any minutes under his belt in pre-season.

Last night Wolves were pushing 4 players forward which kept our wingbacks pegged back and pretty much killed our formation. I thought we looked better second half when we went 4 at the back. Theres so much to work on with 3 at the back, I don't think we're ready to use it yet.

People moan about managers,Vale ones in particular, who don’t have a Plan B or C. Aspo is experimenting in Friendlies for just that reason. We are not going to win the League but we will not be hanging on to League 2 status by our finger nails either. That will be massive progress bearing in mind this club has been in free fall for the past couple of years.

If Aspin doesn't realize as much as everybody else watching does that we need more creativity in the side, then we might as well all just pack up and go home. I think we're a solid team and won't be pushovers for anybody this coming season. But we need some wide players with a bit of pace desperately.

I also think that Quigley, from what bit I've seen from him, won't be anywhere near the standard required. I genuinely can't see an actually attribute he has to his game.

Archived