onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

No Open Day this summer

smithie

Just that....the decision has been taken not to hold an open day this summer.

These events cost very little to stage and are a chance to let people collect their season tickets, meet the players, buy shirts and engage with the club generally.

yet another missed opportunity.

Advert

Note - the thread title (using brackets) was causing some issues so I have amended the title of this thread.

Thanks Rob - I wondered why I couldn't get into it.

Back on topic, why do Vale need an open day? They never had them where I used to work (Dudley Council); they had the occasional VIP visit - the last before I left was Michael Gove, God help us - but never an open day to show people where their council tax was spent. Neither did the good people of Dudley care overmuch provided the grass was cut and the potholes filled in.

Given that by the same token we can see where our hardearned is going by turning up at VP on a given Saturday, why do we need a Vale open day?

Back on topic, why do Vale need an open day? They never had them where I used to work (Dudley Council); they had the occasional VIP visit - the last before I left was Michael Gove, God help us - but never an open day to show people where their council tax was spent. Neither did the good people of Dudley care overmuch provided the grass was cut and the potholes filled in.

Given that by the same token we can see where our hardearned is going by turning up at VP on a given Saturday, why do we need a Vale open day?

I will be installing a mod later this week which will prevent adding brackets etc to title threads. I think it broke the URL which is why no-one could access the thread so I'll put a fix in place to stop it.

One of the strangest posts I've ever read on OVF.

why do we need a Vale open day?

Make fans feel closer to the club and players? Maybe even get new fans on board. Create a bit of goodwill?

Watch an open training session on the pitch. Meet the players. See inside the ground, (dressing rooms, walk the tunnel.) Get a feel from some of the people behind the scenes about what goes on on a day to day basis and on a matchday.

I thought it was straightforward enough. Waste of time and resources in my opinion. Clearly the club agrees.

What resources are being wasted? The ground is there to be used, it's an outdoor event so no power being used, the cost of promoting the event would be zero.

There's something so typically Potteries in the "Why bother" attitude, and it's a huge part of why the club is slowly decaying.

Open days, fun days and community engagement days are routinely held at lots of clubs. We don't because we have a totally and utterly clueless owner.

Maybe the pitch is settling down and can’t be used just yet.Having said that they could use the training pitches and show people around the ground.ST offer for that day as a special offer.Open the shop etc.

Nah, better just to muddle along and hope for the best. The PVFC way.

What resources are being wasted? The ground is there to be used, it's an outdoor event so no power being used, the cost of promoting the event would be zero.

There's something so typically Potteries in the "Why bother" attitude, and it's a huge part of why the club is slowly decaying.

Open days, fun days and community engagement days are routinely held at lots of clubs. We don't because we have a totally and utterly clueless owner.

I agree with the last line but not the rest of it.

Where are all these other clubs that are organising open days? There would be a cost because there would have to be staff present to steward and show people around. And for what? So you can see the new coat of paint on the dressing room wall?

I don't even go to friendlies - glorified training sessions that would be just as well undertaken behind closed doors in my opinion - but if you want an extra fix of Vale outside the playing season that's where to get it, not in some costly and pointless PR exercise.

I remember going to one when I was about 9 - got my shirt signed by the likes of Billy Paynter, Sam Collins, Mark Goodlad et al - one of my fondest memories as a Vale fan, meeting my heroes. Pretty sure there were tours around the ground going on and an open training session.

Dead good for younger fans in particular.

Archived