onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Advert

I'm reading on Twitter that Tonge is taking a 'step back' from playing next season. Anyone know if this is true? I thought he did that quite well last season!

Phil, it's hard to see Tonge or Pugh getting much game time if things pan out as we hope. The likes of Oyeleke, Joycs, Dodds and Kay can all play in the centre.

Was at Swindon last season on loan but had it terminated as he didnt get much game time. 14 games 2 goals, although they did sign Rico in January.

It was actually terminated for personal reasons which Swindon didn't disclose but it was felt that Millwall were better placed to deal with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5538377/Millwalls-Harry-Smith-break-football-deal-depression-gambling-problem.html

Had/has a gambling problem. Fair play for being honest about it. Has the Bosman freedom to move clubs had an impact on young players? Chasing an extra few quid to live in a flat miles from home without family support clearly isn't that easy for a young player to deal with. 4 hours a day in training then 20 hours of doing nothing or having a few pints in the pub, followed by a trip to the bookies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5538377/Millwalls-Harry-Smith-break-football-deal-depression-gambling-problem.html

Had/has a gambling problem. Fair play for being honest about it. Has the Bosman freedom to move clubs had an impact on young players? Chasing an extra few quid to live in a flat miles from home without family support clearly isn't that easy for a young player to deal with. 4 hours a day in training then 20 hours of doing nothing or having a few pints in the pub, followed by a trip to the bookies.

Spot on with the comments above. We should not forget that generally footballers are not generally well educated in an academic sense. Some have limited interests outside the game, and for any 22 year old stuck away from home in a small flat with lots of free time there will be pressures and temptations. One has only to look at the suicide rates at somewhere like Bristol University to see that young people away from home are vulnerable.

I hope we are offering support to these young players. Knowing the experience of John Rudge and Neil Aspin I am sure that they are looking to build a team support network.

So taking a chance on players who have had some issues is not a bad strategy if the club manages to support them and get the best out of them.

I've been there with the gambling addiction. It's horrible, and not at all easy to get out of. Unlike alcohol and drug addiction, there is not generally the support available to help people in that situation (possibly as it's not seen as a physical addiction and, as such, the problem is underestimated or misunderstood, such as people think you can just stop and it's totally within your rational decision making). Wish the guy the best of luck with it, and really hope he can oversome it, whether he comes here or not.

Not too sympathetic are we Source?************
You have a great sense of humour!

Admittedly mine is a little on the twisted side but at least I can laugh at most things and not take them too seriously.

If the lad has problems fair enough, hopefully he can be helped work through them and maybe he'll be a good player for someone, possibly us? It's always a risk taking on these type of players though, e.g., Gary Roberts or Ryan Burge.

You have a great sense of humour!

Admittedly mine is a little on the twisted side but at least I can laugh at most things and not take them too seriously.

If the lad has problems fair enough, hopefully he can be helped work through them and maybe he'll be a good player for someone, possibly us? It's always a risk taking on these type of players though, e.g., Gary Roberts or Ryan Burge.

I think Ryan Burge is a lost cause

Really satisfied with the business Aspin has done this summer so far. I think as of yet they have somewhat exceeded expectations, with more to come more than likely.

Brown - Hugely experienced keeper and one of the better ones in League Two, no doubt.

Legge - Again, hugely experienced and the type of partner Nathan Smith should learn hugely from.

Joyce - A good midfielder at this level and offers the legs we so badly missed throughout last season. He's not the quickest but can run all day and also knows how to pass a football.

Oyeleke - Seems to be a good player in the making and at the very least will offer the midfield some mobility. I think he could turn out to be our best signing this summer, but that's just a hunch.

Daniels - Can't really comment on his and definitely falls into the "chancer" category. But if it doesn't quite work out then fair enough. If it does then it's a great bit of business.

Dodds - Splits opinion and although I was never his biggest fan he does and always will have an eye for goal, and offers something different that we simply didn't have. He also gets Tom Pope aroused.

Miller - Needs to prove he can do it at this level but ability doesn't seen to be the issue. If he can knuckle down and let his football do the talking he and Pope could be one of the better partnerships in the league.

I think we're still two or three short, namely a winger. I really like Hannant but I'm not sure if he's good enough to be starting every week at this moment in time for any side that wants to get out of the division. Plus I see him as more of a central midfielder than a wide player anyway. Getting Kyle Howkins back would be a brilliant bit of business.

Dodds - Splits opinion and although I was never his biggest fan he does and always will have an eye for goal, and offers something different that we simply didn't have. He also gets Tom Pope aroused

:ohmy::kiss:

Brings a whole new meaning to 'feed the Pope'

I really can't see any of the 3-4 transfer listed players staying but it might be late in the window before they depart. They'll want to play football and it's clear now that there is no place for them here in the long term. It's hard enough to see most of these new players all getting a game so the writing must be on the wall for the others. Sad, but that's football.

We'll probably see the usual 2-3 triallists in training and/or in the friendlies too.

Hard to predict but I'd suggest that we need at least another striker, defender and wide player but it could depend on who departs and might as I say be the end of Augsut before the jigsaw is complete.

A little bit warm for pre-season training tomorrow!

Having brought in you would expect the club to know that they will move them on. Clubs interested taking the listed players are likely to want to wait till the end of the summer so they don’t have to pay their wages over the off season. I’m sure all the listed players have moved lined up

I too see Hannant as more effective in the middle rather than wide but Aspo's probably thinking his strength on the left coupled with Monty's flair gives us both attack and defence as they overlap and cover each other.

I too would like to see Howkins return but I'd be surprised. I think West Brom may well utilise him themselves now they've gone down and Evans has left. I've said it before but surely Remi Streete should be investigated?

I've said it before but surely Remi Streete should be investigated?

Why, what's he done? ;-)

I think that ship has sailed tbh. I don't disagree from an ability perspective but given his apparently serious knee issue, any deal would have to be on a basic with pay as you play incentives, surely?

Archived