onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World Cup 2018

disagree. It’s there to stop huge mistakes that ruin matches.

Why was it a farce?

It takes what 1 minute to get the correct decision. Mad not to use it in my opinion. Wouldn’t use it for simple fouls but for huge decisions like that I simply don’t understand how it can’t be a positive every other sport uses it so why not football?

Why was it a farce ? Quite simple. 6 of us were watching the match in the pub and even after endless replays from various angles, it was STILL 50/50 whether it was a penalty or not !

As I stated, decisions like these are all about personal interpretation so you can NEVER get a concrete “correct” decision.

All this does is undermine the referee even more when, as I’ve stated numerous times before, he is the only one on the pitch NOT cheating or attempting to cheat.

Advert

Spain look favourites to me so far. A goalkeeping error and Ronaldo's first free kick goal in 45 attempts got Portugal a draw. But that doesn't detract from the very high technical level they have. They also have an integrated traditional centre forward now so they can play long when they want to. France have the same technical level but they don't have the togetherness and work ethic. Perhaps I should not underestimate Mexico as well. Stupid Ham Utd seem to have been wasting a top class striker all season and they have a fair few other players and the best keeper I've seen so far..

If Brazil are favourites anybody can win it.
Thought that myself. However, it's almost a default position that Brazil are favourites, it's a bit like the 'love in' the media have for the likes of the Premier League big four or Real Madrid & Barcelona, especially ITV.

Last night that gobsh!7e Tyldsley kept harping on about how the Swiss goal should have been disallowed because of a nudge on Miranda, never a hint of criticism over the supposed defender being a big girl and failing to show any strength. If that had happened at the other end he'd have been spouting about what great, strong centre forward play it was. Somebody should remind him we're supporting England in this tournament, not bloody Brazil. He should treat them the same as any other nation with unbiased neutrality and comment simply on how they are actually playing.

I hate the ITV coverage, the only good bit is there's a fair chance Roy Keane will have a fight with somebody live on air!

So, having seen all the 'big boys' I haven't seen anything that worries me, they've all shown vulnerabilities alongside their talents. We are all aware of England's vulnerabilities but they're no worse than what we've seen so far. If - IF - our players can just be themselves and go out and play like they can we could have a decent tournament. No more disasterous cock ups like we usually see please, like keepers fumbling the ball, fatal back passes or even ref's-had-a-bung decisions.

Remember when Mexico beat England a few years ago and everyone was saying 'England are rubbish, can't even beat Mexico'? Well, I think Germany might have made the same mistake. I think Mexico will go further than most sides in this competition - semis minimum.

Archived