onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World Cup 2018

Our big chance was the 2002-2010 period when we had arguably the best squad in the world but we failed to get close to either World Cup or European glory (if only Seaman hadn’t let that Ronaldinho lob free kick goal in I believe we’d have two gold stars now).

This is a young side after two horrific tournaments that has no pressure on it, and we know if developed correctly we’ve got the best kids in the world currently at both U17 and U20 level so should bode well going forward but this year is likely to be too soon. It’s now up to the FA and clubs to bring these successful kids through though like Germany or France would!

We should get out of the group, the Tunisia game is key as a draw there could see us needing a positive result against the Belgians if Tunisia hammer Panama and we do our usual scrape a late 2 goal win.

Ideally we can win the group and likely get Japan/Senegal or Poland in round two which we’d be favourites to progress in. Quarter finals is the minimum aim but realistically as far as we will go despite so decent friendly results against the top sides. If we got Germany you never know but Brazil would be too strong.

I’d like to have some pride in them this year and some hope for the Euros and next World Cup that we have the potential to be realised so a decent showing I think we would all be happy with knowing it’s a side which should improve over the coming years.

Advert

I genuinely don’t believe that England players of the last decade or so feel any pride in playing for their country. The Euro’s & World Cup competitions simply get in the way of their “much needed” holidays.

Who are today’s Terry Butcher’s for example ? Virtually every other nations players at this summers tournament will see this as the pinnacle of their career. Can England’s players look at themselves in the mirror and honestly say the same thing ?

I think not.

I genuinely don’t believe that England players of the last decade or so feel any pride in playing for their country. The Euro’s & World Cup competitions simply get in the way of their “much needed” holidays.

Who are today’s Terry Butcher’s for example ? Virtually every other nations players at this summers tournament will see this as the pinnacle of their career. Can England’s players look at themselves in the mirror and honestly say the same thing ?

I think not.

It's mostly I think down to the attitude of the clubs. At one time it lent prestige to a club to have an international player in the side; now during the domestic season it's treated as an inconvenience, a disruption to the normal business of football. It's a consequence perhaps of having so many non English owners and managers; maybe they attempt to dissuade players from taking part in preparatory friendly games, risking injury and loss of their asset - how many friendlies did Ryan Giggs play for Wales?

It all adds up. Strangely it doesn't seem to happen in other countries but in those countries the tail doesn't wag the dog like the Premier League does with the FA.

Also, the joint US / Canada / Mexico bid for the 2026 tournament has been successful. The only thing any proper football fan needs to know is the bid is promising revenues of $14 billion that will generate a profit of $11 billion for FIFA.

So, for every dollar spent by a fan 78.5% is profit.

I'm in the wrong business! As a fan these days you're just treated like a cash cow to be milked.

Also, the joint US / Canada / Mexico bid for the 2026 tournament has been successful. The only thing any proper football fan needs to know is the bid is promising revenues of $14 billion that will generate a profit of $11 billion for FIFA.

So, for every dollar spent by a fan 78.5% is profit.

I'm in the wrong business! As a fan these days you're just treated like a cash cow to be milked.

Mexico again ? This will be their THIRD World Cup in my lifetime, assuming I’m still breathing in 2026.

Have I missed something about our Latin friends ? I thought it was just a barren, poverty stricken, lawless, drug producing virtual third world country.

Perhaps I’m wrong. But then again, this is FIFA.

Mexico again ? This will be their THIRD World Cup in my lifetime, assuming I’m still breathing in 2026.

Have I missed something about our Latin friends ? I thought it was just a barren, poverty stricken, lawless, drug producing virtual third world country.

Drug cartels with fat Brown envelopes backed up by some serious firepower?

Blatter's gone but what's changed? They're still pigs at the trough.

Mexico staged the World Cup 1970 and 1986 and the USA in 1994.

It does make you wonder doesn't it?:unsure:

Mexico staged the World Cup 1970 and 1986 and the USA in 1994.

It does make you wonder doesn't it?:unsure:

Remember when the World Cup went to South Africa? All the pundits before the award reckoned England would get it. Suddenly a lot of FIFA votes went SA's way - you can only speculate why.

What I find quite astonishing is that after the ‘62 finals in Chile, South America staged but ONE tournament in a whopping 52 years !

For a continent with such a proud footballing tradition and heritage, how can that be right ? Meanwhile, finals were awarded to those footballing powerhouses of USA, Japan and Sth Korea.

Still, all that seems quite plausible when compared to Qatar and the seemingly equally corrupt Russian bid.

Ah well, as with all the cyclists, its easier to simply carry on taking the tablets.

Tunisia will be a tough, tough game for us on Monday. They are arguably the best team from Africa. I watched them against Spain and they looked very well organised and well drilled, decent on the ball and also quite a physical side. I remember watching England beat Tunisia in the World Cup in the 90's (98 I think?) and we bullied them in the end, I don't think we'll be doing that this time. If we don't get an early goal and make them change their gameplan a little bit it could be a very long and nervy evening.

What I find quite astonishing is that after the ‘62 finals in Chile, South America staged but ONE tournament in a whopping 52 years !

For a continent with such a proud footballing tradition and heritage, how can that be right ? Meanwhile, finals were awarded to those footballing powerhouses of USA, Japan and Sth Korea.

Still, all that seems quite plausible when compared to Qatar and the seemingly equally corrupt Russian bid.

Ah well, as with all the cyclists, its easier to simply carry on taking the tablets.

After the US/Canada/Mexico joint bid, my guess is that the World Cup will be in Asia, either in India (world's second most populous nation with the fourth highest football league attendances in the world) or Indonesia (world's fourth most populous nation with growing football support). Or, as an outside bet, China. For FIFA it's all about the global spread of the game and these are markets with huge development potential. Money talks!

Tunisia will be a tough, tough game for us on Monday. They are arguably the best team from Africa. I watched them against Spain and they looked very well organised and well drilled, decent on the ball and also quite a physical side. I remember watching England beat Tunisia in the World Cup in the 90's (98 I think?) and we bullied them in the end, I don't think we'll be doing that this time. If we don't get an early goal and make them change their gameplan a little bit it could be a very long and nervy evening.

Agreed,I fancy a 1-1 draw to begin with.

Archived