onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The difference a year makes

Mattholl

It always amazes me when fans moan about a lack of marketing for season tickets. Its not as if it is a secret that they're available in the summer.

Im not saying marketing is not important but its certainly not as significant as people make out.

And how on earth is local media reporting on us not marketing?! Have you not seen the positive reactions after every signing or transfer story?

Like it or not I think there's a little bit of cautious excitement creeping in to our fanbase.

Advert

Without wishing to answer on someone else's behalf, there is so much we should be doing. Any half-decent business would do their utmost to win back lapsed season-ticket holders and to gain new ones. Get on the phone to people, get out to places like Autonet with a presentation, incentivise current ST holders to recruit a friend and be rewarded for it.

Get flyers in the pubs of Burslem. Get posters in shop windows. Get out to schools before they break up for the holidays. Organise a proper open day where players hand out the junior season tickets and sign club merchandise.

Can you tell me how much of this is being done? In fact, can you tell me what exactly is being done to fill those 14,000 EMPTY SEATS every home game?

We wouldn't fill those 14,000 seats with free admission, free programme, free food, and a blowy from Louise Redknapp.

None of the things that you suggest as good marketing would fill even 1,000 seats on an even irregular basis. The long and short of it is we only generally get increased crowds at Xmas or at the end of the season if we're doing particularly well. That's not because of a lack of marketing. It's because of what's happening on the pitch. If we start well next season, crowds MAY slightly increase, but WILL drop again as soon as we have a couple of bad results. The people that need the marketing that you suggest to get off their backsides and attend a game or buy a ST do not want to go to the Vale on a regular basis.

Without wishing to answer on someone else's behalf, there is so much we should be doing. Any half-decent business would do their utmost to win back lapsed season-ticket holders and to gain new ones. Get on the phone to people, get out to places like Autonet with a presentation, incentivise current ST holders to recruit a friend and be rewarded for it.

Get flyers in the pubs of Burslem. Get posters in shop windows. Get out to schools before they break up for the holidays. Organise a proper open day where players hand out the junior season tickets and sign club merchandise.

Can you tell me how much of this is being done? In fact, can you tell me what exactly is being done to fill those 14,000 EMPTY SEATS every home game?

I am 100% not saying that they couldn't be doing more, they could do a lot more but I was just wondering if instead of just berating the club that Doha might have some constructive ideas to help.

There is still a couple of months left. Spirits have been raised with the prompt signing of players, a couple of good goal scorers, with fees, would surely give a media push some content to spread. A bit of investment could be worthwhile. Start the push Vale.

3) A weekly newsletter by email is not marketing

I've been receiving dozens of e-mails from lots of companies, over the last few weeks, asking if I mind keep receiving their newsletters as part of their marketing campaigns?

Colchester's just looks like they don't know the difference between marketing and producing a programme - too much info to digest...less is more, etc!

Most of the last 2 seasons, the main comments about dragging back the waning fanbase has been that we need to improve what's on the pitch - that seems to be the case, now...let's see how ST sales go, shall we, before knocking the club, again?

We wouldn't fill those 14,000 seats with free admission, free programme, free food, and a blowy from Louise Redknapp.

None of the things that you suggest as good marketing would fill even 1,000 seats on an even irregular basis. The long and short of it is we only generally get increased crowds at Xmas or at the end of the season if we're doing particularly well. That's not because of a lack of marketing. It's because of what's happening on the pitch. If we start well next season, crowds MAY slightly increase, but WILL drop again as soon as we have a couple of bad results. The people that need the marketing that you suggest to get off their backsides and attend a game or buy a ST do not want to go to the Vale on a regular basis.

How do you know? In my entire time supporting Vale, there's never been anything remotely like that suggestion. I doubt he's saying we'll fill ALL 14,000, but even if we could get 500~ extra STs sold & a few 'floaters' to attend some more games, it'd be worth it IMO so why not?

If we tried everything the fans & the staff at the club can think of, & there's still no improvement, then fair enough, but at a time when the club next door is going through their first rough time in 10 years, an aggressive marketing campaign throughout the city (or parts of it) may be worthwhile.

Fair enough to shoot ideas down if there is an alternative (good football & winning isn't one as can't be guaranteed), but like I said before, none of the ideas in the above post(s) have ever been tried to my knowledge on a long-term/consistent basis, so I'm not sure how anyone can say for certain they just won't work.

All of this is off-topic though, since I'm pretty sure the thread is about Aspin & his good early work with signings :smile:

It always amazes me when fans moan about a lack of marketing for season tickets. Its not as if it is a secret that they're available in the summer.

Im not saying marketing is not important but its certainly not as significant as people make out.

And how on earth is local media reporting on us not marketing?! Have you not seen the positive reactions after every signing or transfer story?

Like it or not I think there's a little bit of cautious excitement creeping in to our fanbase.

The advertising of STs was sufficient in January for people to buy one.It wouldn’t be right that people aren’t moaning about Vale.Most fans want to know one thing about STs,the cost.Colchester’s 2017/18 War and Peace brochure was also very good but the problem is by the time you’ve got to the last page you’ve forgotten what was on the first page.Vale STs last season were 100 more than Colchester’s average attendance.Looks like Clacton FC have better marketing.

The advertising of STs was sufficient in January for people to buy one.It wouldn’t be right that people aren’t moaning about Vale.Most fans want to know one thing about STs,the cost.Colchester’s 2017/18 War and Peace brochure was also very good but the problem is by the time you’ve got to the last page you’ve forgotten what was on the first page.Vale STs last season were 100 more than Colchester’s average attendance.Looks like Clacton FC have better marketing.

Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. I'm guessing all those Bradford fans suddenly decided they wanted to become season ticket holders?

No, BCFC went all-out in attracting them. They didn't accept that crowds of 4k was something that couldn't be improved on.

Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. I'm guessing all those Bradford fans suddenly decided they wanted to become season ticket holders?

No, BCFC went all-out in attracting them. They didn't accept that crowds of 4k was something that couldn't be improved on.

Like I said,down to cost of ST.If we halved our prices do you think we would quadruple our support?Funny how Bradford are not increasing their playing budget for next season.

Archived