Sign in to follow this  
ClntonBoulton

Salford City

Been documentaries on TV about them over the past couple of years. Massive investment and ground developments and expect they will be an EFL outfit in 2019/20.

It’s fair enough if sides like these get invested and climb as with Fleetwood for example. It’s a sport after all but does seem to be killing the game with all these bankrolled sides, Boreham Wood, Ebbsfleet etc

They've been ploughing money in for years.

Jack Redshaw turned down L1 Rochdale to sign for the National League North with them last season!

I dispise them.

When they inevitably end up in the football league we'll have all the "what a great story" nonsense shoved down our throat. Money won't be mentioned.

Good luck to them! I doubt you'd be complaining if we had someone pumping in money to buy success? It's (unfortunately) what football is all about these days. Why do you think the top 6 Premier clubs stay generally in that position?

Good luck to them! I doubt you'd be complaining if we had someone pumping in money to buy success? It's (unfortunately) what football is all about these days. Why do you think the top 6 Premier clubs stay generally in that position?

You're missing the point. Using a club as a millionaires plaything that used to average gates of 139 only 4 years just isn't sustainable as a long term plan.

I would rather a club lives within it's means than risk liquidation. It's still possible to be competitive without throwing a chequebook around as Burton and Accrington have proved.

Don;t take htis as a dig at you Jean but this post is a prime example of V2001's lasting legacy. If those numpties hadn't have made fans hare holders, this misplaced sense of entitlement wouldn't exist. No one has the right to transparency, except the man who put his money in.

Railway Rowdy is also correct- the hypocrisy of some posters is mind blowing.

Nail on head!

You're missing the point. Using a club as a millionaires plaything that used to average gates of 139 only 4 years just isn't sustainable as a long term plan.

I would rather a club lives within it's means than risk liquidation. It's still possible to be competitive without throwing a chequebook around as Burton and Accrington have proved.

For your Burtons and your Accringtons there are far more failures of clubs that could have benefitted from cash injections.

Good luck to Salford. Prefer them to FC United all day.

For your Burtons and your Accringtons there are far more failures of clubs that could have benefitted from cash injections.

Good luck to Salford. Prefer them to FC United all day.

Most clubs with average gates of 139 could do with a cash injection. Spending whatever it takes to reach the football league is just another Rushden & Diamonds in the making. What happens if the millionaires decide to sell up? Are they really going to grow the crowds any further with Man Utd and Man City on their doorstep?

Most clubs with average gates of 139 could do with a cash injection. Spending whatever it takes to reach the football league is just another Rushden & Diamonds in the making. What happens if the millionaires decide to sell up? Are they really going to grow the crowds any further with Man Utd and Man City on their doorstep?

There are plenty of clubs around Manchester who do well enough crowd wise. Rochdale, Bury, Oldham, Stockport (when they were in the league).

Fair play to them. The problem I have is that they replace proper football clubs in the league. Teams like chesterfield, Stockport, wrexham etc that are good clubs with proper fans end up in non league and are replaced with teams such as FGR. It's crap playing FGR at home when we could have someone like Wrexham who might bring a few and generate an atmosphere. Also, how long will it be until we are one of the proper clubs dropping out and being replaced by Boreham Wood.

Fair play to them. The problem I have is that they replace proper football clubs in the league. Teams like chesterfield, Stockport, wrexham etc that are good clubs with proper fans end up in non league and are replaced with teams such as FGR. It's crap playing FGR at home when we could have someone like Wrexham who might bring a few and generate an atmosphere. Also, how long will it be until we are one of the proper clubs dropping out and being replaced by Boreham Wood.

Correct! I think in a few years' time we will see L2 populated with teams like FGR, Ebbsfleet, Billericay, Salford, Boreham Wood and Fylde from towns with little or no tradition of league football and even fewer supporters. Conversely, the National (and below) will be full (even more than now) with former league teams who have fallen on hard times or, worse, have just had one bad season (Notts County almost went this way). As a result, we will get very poor atmosphere at home games while we take many, many more supporters to away games, lining their pockets even more (though most of them clearly don't need it). Really pleased that Tranmere are coming up to bring a few to Vale Park and renew our rivalry with them. Pity Wrexham didn't make it though at least Macca are close.

This is where we are headed imho, which is why we need to get out of L2 as soon as we can because competing with teams with wealthy owners is going to get harder and harder. Traditional league clubs in L2 are going to see the trapdoor into footballing oblivion look ever larger. I don't welcome these developments one little bit!

Let’s hope for the benefit of anyone who begrudges other club’s investment that The Vale don’t ever have to contend with any substantial monies coming in. Imagine the empty feeling they’d get if it were to lead to any kind of success.

There are plenty of clubs around Manchester who do well enough crowd wise. Rochdale, Bury, Oldham, Stockport (when they were in the league).

I think Salford deserves something like this. It is a pretty dreadful borough socially and economically.

Sir, I don't often post on here anymore but I'll make an exception on this occasion to say how much I agree with this post. Also my biggest pet hate regarding these so called "Phoenix Clubs". Replacing proper Football League old guard such as Stockport, Wrexham, York etc. It's a shame that we're losing proper names in English football for bank rolled Sunday league sides.

I don't believe the vast majority of Vale fans want the owner to throw money at the club. I think the vast majority would just appreciate a little more transparency in the finances of the club. According to Norman, he has already thrown in £3 million and look where that's got us.
To be fair if ruddy Bournemouth can get someone pumping in millions it's only natural to be bloody jealous of them. Why can they get decent owners but we just get bloody penny pinchers.

Sir, I don't often post on here anymore but I'll make an exception on this occasion to say how much I agree with this post. Also my biggest pet hate regarding these so called "Phoenix Clubs". Replacing proper Football League old guard such as Stockport, Wrexham, York etc. It's a shame that we're losing proper names in English football for bank rolled Sunday league sides.

It’s staggering that people think they can choose who they deem worthy of league status. You’re watching the wrong sport for the tradition over money attitude

How has a thread about Neal going to Salford ended up with this pointless Norm debate?

Norm doesn't know what he's doing. Stop shoehorning him into everything.

"We've signed Luke Joyce; maybe Norman deserves praise?"

"Chris Neal has signed for Salford; insert tenuous link to veiled praise of Norm"

Let me enjoy my summer without reading tripe about him, in threads with naff all to do with him.

Cracking signing for Salford.

Edited by Hagrid

Don;t take htis as a dig at you Jean but this post is a prime example of V2001's lasting legacy. If those numpties hadn't have made fans hare holders, this misplaced sense of entitlement wouldn't exist. No one has the right to transparency, except the man who put his money in.

Railway Rowdy is also correct- the hypocrisy of some posters is mind blowing.

Not taken as a dig at all, Yukon, because I don't think I expressed myself properly. By transparency, I don't mean chapter and verse of each line in the accounts, I mean some sort of consistency from Norman in his statement about the finances. One minute we are losing £140,000 a month and the next minute we've made £400,000 profit. It makes no sense to me. I don't feel entitled to details of the accounts although Norman thought I did because he sent them to me last year!

I think Salford deserves something like this. It is a pretty dreadful borough socially and economically.

*city

It has its highs and lows. Parts of Salford have seen far more regeneration than Stoke has. MediaCity is an obvious example but also just other side of Deansgate & the Irwell, Chapel Street is pretty lively these days with loads of apartment blocks and development.

Having said that, trying to build their training ground on Chorlton/Sale greenbelt/nature reserve instead won't do much for Salford. I'm sure they could find a decent brownfield site in the city.

Edited by Santa

The next Rushden And Diamonds this mob are. Apparently acording to the owd t'internet they are trying to buy Tranmeres' top scorer on 2.5 grand a week. Insane money. However Walsall reportedly interested in him too.

How has a thread about Neal going to Salford ended up with this pointless Norm debate?

Norm doesn't know what he's doing. Stop shoehorning him into everything.

"We've signed Luke Joyce; maybe Norman deserves praise?"

"Chris Neal has signed for Salford; insert tenuous link to veiled praise of Norm"

Let me enjoy my summer without reading tripe about him, in threads with naff all to do with him.

Cracking signing for Salford.

Really interesting point....I posted it to express my amazement when I saw it, but I see what you mean! Agree, incredible signing for them.

Think Salford like many in the football food chain (mk dons,fleetwood,fgr,wigan dave Whelan era,blackburn jack walker era etc etc) will rise from a lower platform which is easier when bank rolled- the tipping point will be when they reach a limit on the field for their investment versus the income the club generates and the newness/energy has gone.

They will have their day like others mentioned but agree once it levels off and mundane sets in its the fan base that then becomes more important and makes the difference between league and non league as a true level is found (there will always be exceptions to the rule)- accy will maybe survive 1-2 seasons same as new teams in the prem ,,

for instance stoke got promoted had a young lean team with a lower cost than when their contracts come up for renewal or if players become old and need to be replaced costs more in fees and money just to stay still which is what happened as stoke tried to live in budget get this part wrong and you drop cause you cant keep spending.

For me want vale to live within their means make some money, owner keeps a bit , a bit invested in the team a bit kept for stadium improvements/a needed loanee emergency cover - this will only get us so far maybe mid table league 1 stability until it all clicks for a promotion push then enjoy the ride until we then have to start the cycle again albeit in a much healthier stable position--as long as investment from what we generate and maximised from all income streams (ie advertising,marketing)comes mainly to the club no one can complain--in a nutshell stability and good recruitment and reinvestment of money generated is all key